• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Best Albums of 2013

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
artworks-000055700743-rxwww9-t500x5001.jpg

The Weeknd - Kiss Land

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

zoo

TRIBE Member
Albums:

Rhye - Woman
Wavves - Afraid of Heights
Thundercat - Apocalypse
Smith Westerns - Soft Will
Nosaj Thing - Home
Local Natives - Hummingbird
Kurt Vile - Wakin On A Pretty Daze
John Hopkins - Immunity
Jessy Lanza - Pull My Hair Back
Disclosure - Settle
DJ Koze - Amygdala
Dirty Beaches - Drifters / Love Is The Devil
Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap
Braids - Flourish // Perish
Machinedrum - Vapor City

Tracks that rocked my socks:

Kate Boy - The Way We Are
Haim - Falling
Small Black - Breathless
Annie - Invisible
Iggy Azalea - Work
Girl Unit - Double Take Part II
FCL - It's You
Kingdom - Bank Head (ft Kelela)
Miss Kittin - What To Wear
Maya Jane Coles ft Karin Park - Everything
Rhye - Open (Jeff Samuel Faded Remix)
Kastle - Red Light
Kavinsky - Protovision
Slava - Girl Like Me
Lone - Airglow Fires
The Range - Metal Swing
Breach - Everything You Never Had
Action Bronson - Strictly 4 My Jeeps
SchoolBoy Q - Collard Greens
The Avalanches - Stalking To A Stranger

Looking forward to checking out what you guys have posted!

DJ Doublecross

TRIBE Member
Nice lists, a lot of stuff in there that I missed this year. I'll just add a few albums that I haven't seen listed yet (with examples of standout songs):

Joey Bada$$ - Summer Knights - (90's sounding hip-hop from an 18 year old kid)
[YOUTUBE]6OiMq6Rau64[/YOUTUBE]

Logic - Young Sinatra: Welcome to Forever - (more new hip-hop)
[YOUTUBE]Z9duL4PdZUE[/YOUTUBE]

Claude VonStroke - Urban Animal - (typical dirtybird stuff but I still dig the sound, and there's good variety on the album... but most of it only works at home if you have a good subwoofer)
[YOUTUBE]6NT6uYPeDtE[/YOUTUBE]

Danny Brown - Old - (Hip-hop... Getting a bit tired of his sound but still a good concept album that apparently is supposed to mirror Ol' Dirty Bastard's life)
[YOUTUBE]U2x6Tt6S8Js[/YOUTUBE]

King Krule - 6 Feet Beneath the Moon - (19 year old British kid with a cool voice... probably recognize him from Mount Kimbie collab)
[YOUTUBE]hRzlbh4or3c[/YOUTUBE]

Mount Kimbie - Cold Spring Fault Less Youth - (speaking of Mount Kimbie, can't believe this album didn't appear on any lists yet... one of my favs of the year
[YOUTUBE]sYwqBhh3ZHM[/YOUTUBE]

Nightmares on Wax - Feelin' Good - (still putting out good music after 22 years, the whole album is pretty fun... on the downbeat/funk tip)
[YOUTUBE]afzmvcz0_G8[/YOUTUBE]

LordNikon

Been some really solid stuff dropped in 2013....but if I had to pick standouts?

Probably:

SYNKRO - Acceptance

SUB-FOCUS - Torus

CHVRCHES - The Bones Of What You Believe

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
well, having gone and listened to some others' suggestions... yes

Blood Orange - Ok Cupid ... soooooo smooth and sweet. Excellent songs

Braids - Flourish/Perish - fantastic for them moods when you wish to hang out in the park with guey faeries and prance naked through the middle forest

Janelle Monae - Electric Lady - The everything + the kitchen sing production doesn't detract from who's in charge here. Monae just kills it on many tracks

ok then..............

nonlocal

TRIBE Member
Deafheaven -- Sunbather. Really, really massive album. A lot of things can't be quite the same after hearing this. Post-post-rock. Blacker metal?

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
Braids - Flourish/Perish - fantastic for them moods when you wish to hang out in the park with guey faeries and prance naked through the middle forest

Loved Native Speaker and bought Flourish/Perish on vinyl when it first came out. It has been a slow grower, but I am starting to really love this album. Still didn't crack my top albums of the year, but may have longer staying potential.

For anyone interested - The first list I have come across is by Mojo. MOJO's Top 50 Albums Of 2013 Unveiled | MOJO

jc

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
So Pitchfork put out their list today for best tracks. I skimmed over the tracks and not feeling a lot of their picks (Drake for best track?). Some good choices, but not one of the stronger lists from my initial review.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
So Pitchfork put out their list today for best tracks. I skimmed over the tracks and not feeling a lot of their picks (Drake for best track?).
The production on that track by Toronto's Majid Jordan is some beautifully restrained deep house/R&B. Drake's singing is decent too, he's often better when he's not rapping. It's a great, infectious song, some Lionel Richie type business. It's certainly up there for me this year.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Just listened to Atom's for Peace - Amok.

holy crap, how the heck did I miss this. Same with
Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus
Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap.

Guess i've had other priorities ..haha

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
So Pitchfork put out their list today for best tracks. I skimmed over the tracks and not feeling a lot of their picks (Drake for best track?). Some good choices, but not one of the stronger lists from my initial review.

Pretty abysmal list.

Pitchfork has really shifted away from being rock/electronic centric to more broad and much more into pop/urban/r&b music, and that's reflected in their content and choosing fucking Drake as the #1 song of the year.

And I'm sure they will name fucking Yeezus as the #1 album of the year too. :rolleyes:

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
ok got around to listening to some of these other suggestions..:
Washed Out (Paracosm), Mutual Benefit (loves crushing diamonds), These New Puritans (Field of Reeds), Tim Hecker (Virgins)... and....

Why is so much of this new music so spaced-out?
Wow, put it on, start drifting into space.

Some of it works (Washed Out), some don't (Mutual Benefit puts me to sleep).

Entoutcas, time to put on some beats now, anchor things down a bit

Nesta

TRIBE Member
I just got Carl Craig's 3xCD Masterpiece collection in the mail. 35 minutes in and so far I'm very impressed. Can't wait to play the other 2 discs.

Detroit!!!