• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Best Albums of 2013

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Well with 2014 just around the corner now is a good time to discuss what albums caught your eye this year

for me

Lorde - Pure Heroine

[YOUTUBE]c4rbR36vH7E[/YOUTUBE]

Moby -Innocents

[YOUTUBE]Dq_VkETFPzQ[/YOUTUBE]

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City

[YOUTUBE]mX46e4GtlXM[/YOUTUBE]

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I was wondering when this thread was going to show up.

I'll write more later, but these albums have really been doing it for me this year.

Jessy Lanza - Pull My Hair Back
Drake - Nothing Was The Same
Blue Hawaii - Untogether
Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap
Blood Ceremony - The Eldritch Dark
DJ Rashad - Double Cup
Weekend - Jinx
Braids - Flourish/Perish
CFCF - Outside
Heurco S - Colonial Patterns
Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe
Laurel Halo - Chance of Rain
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires for the City
Ryan Hemsworth - Guilt Trips
DJ Koze - Amygdala
Inc. - no world

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Boards of Canada – Tomorrow’s Harvest
David Bowie – The Next Day
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Sigur Rós - Kveikur
The Flaming Lips - The Terror
Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork
Moby - Innocents

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
So far my list is looking like:

1. Bibio - Silver Wilkinson
2. Machinedrum - Vapor City
3. Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork
4. Etherwood - Etherwood
5. FaltyDL - Hardcourage
6. Bonobo - The North Borders
7. Blu Mar Ten - Famous Last Words
8. Frederic Robinson- Frederic Robinson
9. Klute - The Draft
10. Arcade Fire - Reflektor

also: Daft Punk - Random Access Memories, Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest, Darkside - Psychic

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alison87

TRIBE Member
Soukie & Windish - A Forest (URSL)

Straight-up beautiful deep house. I bought almost every track it's that good.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/ursl/sets/soukie-windish-a-forest[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Carlo Ruetz - Breakthrough (Supdub Digitales)

Slightly cheezy but totally fun party minimal. Got all the tracks because they're all useful.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/carloruetz/sets/carlo-ruetz-breakthrough-album123/[/SOUNDCLOUD]

David August - Times (Diynamic)

Not a huge fan of the ambient or techno-y stuff on this, but i bought all the sexy bassline italo/disco/house nummers.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/davidaugust/sets/david-august-times/[/SOUNDCLOUD]

I also picked up a few minimal house tracks off of Heinrichs & Hirtenfellner - Lenz (Supdub), though i found it a lot of it too predictable.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/supdub-records-berlin/sets/heinrichs-hirtenfellner-lenz[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Stimming released a self-titled album on Diynamic this year with a couple of wickedly wonky deep/tech house tracks.

Stimming [Diynamic] :: Beatport

HVOB also had a self-titled album this year (on Stil vor Talent) with a couple of deep house/prog tracks that weren't too cheesy. Quite a few summer classics on there too.

HVOB - HVOB [Stil Vor Talent] :: Beatport

But yeah, album of the year was Soukie & Windish for me. Can't wait for the upcoming remix album, which is going to double the fun. Carlo Ruetz is fun, but more a collection of good tracks than something thematic. David August, when he's good, is really fucking good. The rest... just grab the highlights.

I think Alfred Heinrichs released something a few weeks ago i still need to check out, though i fear it'll be similar to the Heinrichs & Hirtenfellner album.

No other albums really spring to mind for me this year.

alison87

TRIBE Member
I only buy electronic music. I occasionally hear other stuff in stores and bars and stuff. There is so much coming out these days it's impossible to keep track of every release in every genre - i mean, i have literally hundreds of releases to go through each month just within "My Beatport" - so i tend to focus on the genres i enjoy the best, which i guess is house, techno and minimal. Occasionally i'll pick up something downbeat/chill, but it's always got synthesizers. I just love that sound.

Last edited:

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
some great on the list, other favs of mine:

Haim - Days are Gone
Four Tet - Beutiful rewind
Tim hecker - Virgins
The Field - Cupid's Head
Chrvches - The bone's are what you believe
Bill Calahan - Dream Rivers
Delorean - Apar
Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
Forest Swords - Engravings
Juliana Barwick - Nepenthe

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
some great on the list, other favs of mine:
Tim hecker - Virgins
I totally forgot these on my list. I love these records!

I'm going to check out some more of your list, though I can't think of a record I disliked more than Chrvches this year.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

djfear

TRIBE Member
Superstructure - Model 1 EP (though I'm biased)
BoC - Tomorrow's Harvest (Though I'm a bit underwhelmed)
Mazzy Star - Seasons of Your Day (Once again, a bit underwhelmed)

alison87

TRIBE Member
It'd help if you guys would put mini-reviews, Soundcloud links or at least genres so i can check stuff out. This is your chance to introduce the rest of the board to your musical world.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
you can google the album names, and would be provided a link to quite a few different reviews of it, ie, pitchfork, rolling stone, etc.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
I will post youtube links for all of mine later.

But I had to categorize them:

1. Bibio - Silver Wilkinson (electronic with some acoustic guitars and purdy vocals, super fucking catchy)
2. Machinedrum - Vapor City (electronic futuristic house-ish stuff / eclectic / progressive / some jungle/dub influences underneath)
3. Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork (california desert rock)
4. Etherwood - Etherwood (dreamy drum 'n bass, lots of vocals, some half-step stuff)
5. FaltyDL - Hardcourage (electronic, house/garage/futuristic, can't properly describe)
6. Bonobo - The North Borders (live electronic full band sort of trip hop stuff without the hop)
7. Blu Mar Ten - Famous Last Words (drum 'n bass, deeper stuff)
8. Frederic Robinson- Frederic Robinson (undescribable, electronic with very eclectic instruments, sort of like old school squarepusher at times but way warmer and less glitchy)
9. Klute - The Draft (drum 'n bass, mostly deep stuff)
10. Arcade Fire - Reflektor (pretentious indie rock, some good tunes if you can excuse the lyrics)

Last edited:

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
I totally forgot these on my list. I love these records!

I'm going to check out some more of your list, though I can't think of a record I disliked more than Chrvches this year.

really? that's unfortunate!!

Haim is definiteley my top this year.

alison87

TRIBE Member
you can google the album names, and would be provided a link to quite a few different reviews of it, ie, pitchfork, rolling stone, etc.
I could also just google "albums of the year" but that woudn't exactly have the personal Tribeadelic touch, would it? ;)

Thanks sianspherica!

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
really? that's unfortunate!!

Haim is definiteley my top this year.
Haim is pop music I can get into. It's fun, accessible and catchy - what pop music should be. CHVRCHES I find baffling, it's like some tarted up Owl City bullshit with a band profile that seems plucked from the MySpace generation. I truly do not get it. I went into it expecting cooled out synth-pop and instead was assaulted with high-octane electronic power pop packaged as an indie revelation.

Vise

TRIBE Member
Yeah, man. Easily my favourite of the year. Straight out of the Hammer too!
Seriously? I had no idea... heard a track online and because I'm a fan of Hyperdub I grabbed the album. Damn that is cool.

That DJ Rashad album is great too, really interesting stuff...

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Cut Copy - Free Your Mind
How to Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion
M.I.A. - Matangi
Moby - Innocents
Neko Case - The Worse Things Get The Harder I Fight The Harder I Fight The More I Love You (it's growing on me with every listen)
Of Montreal - Lousy With Sylvianbriar
Icona Pop - This Is Icona Pop (guilty pleasure)

Probably have more but this is what's still on my playlist.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
atoms for peace - amok
forest swords - engravings
kendrick lamar - good good, maad city
rudimental - home
local natives - hummingbird
moderat - ll
majical cloudz - impersonator
helado negro - invisible life
vampire weekend - modern vampires of the city
darkside - psychic
arcade fire - reflektor
disclosure - settle
the national - trouble will find me
blue hawaii - untogether
rhye - woman

Baters

TRIBE Member
new NIN was mostly decent
new Kanye was pockets of brilliance
Board of Canada (Tomorrow's Harvest) was pretty good
Foals (Holy Fire) was pretty good
These New Puritans (Field of Reeds) was pretty good
The Lonely Island (Wack Album) was amusing
Arcade Fire (Reflector) is pretty good
Run the Jewels (Run the Jewels) was great (c',mom, El-P and Killer Mike together, how can that go wrong?
but
Teeth of the Sea (Master) is AMAZING
Future of the Left (How to Stop Your Brain in an Accident) is AMAZING

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
since I've been listening to classic rock, jazz, blues, and indie rock from 5 years ago, I've missed a lot of this new stuff.

I'm catching up today, and have the following lined up in my player:

Blood Orange - Coastal Grooves (I couldn't find the new album, but this is very good)
Blue Hawaii - Untogether (playing currently, and I'm digging it!)

Next up are: Bibio, new FourTet, Bill Callahan, Delorean, Forest Swords, new of Montreal, new Local Natives.

Thanks Spinsah and Bacchus, et al,...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories