• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

best album from 1995-present

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
wayne bradbury said:
Diesel Truckers was ok at best and that was Kurt back on the boards.
I did manage to see the 2 of them perform in Brisbane a few years back. Kurt rocked his beard, then switched to shades and a hat when Keith came out.

Also I'm waiting on my Unreleased Sex Styles CD to come in the mail. Dope funky shit from 93-96.

actually his masters of Illusion/motion man LPs are gold too! what's he been producing lately I wonder? even Motion Man could get on a mixtape or 2

OhNo!

TRIBE Member

i dunno, there has been lots of great albums over the last 12 years but these ones stand out most as highwater marks for me. when i heard them i was blown away by either production, lyrics, concept or in most cases all 3.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
am i the only one who HATES el-producto's rhyme style and production? i could never get into it.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Muad'ib said:
am i the only one who HATES el-producto's rhyme style and production? i could never get into it.
you may be alllll alone there. What about those insane Cannibal Ox beats can't you get into. Both his verses/beats are TRUE next level shit...

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
it seems like most of what i've heard (which isn't a lot) that i knew was co-flow or el-p was the jarring, distorted, yelly type of song (like company flow's track on soundbombing 2 and the one on the first Handsome Boy Modeling School).

i haven't listened to a ton of cannibal ox, but i do have a bunch and it is pretty good.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Muad'ib said:
it seems like most of what i've heard (which isn't a lot) that i knew was co-flow or el-p was the jarring, distorted, yelly type of song (like company flow's track on soundbombing 2 and the one on the first Handsome Boy Modeling School).

i haven't listened to a ton of cannibal ox, but i do have a bunch and it is pretty good.
patriotism off SB2 is nuts! that's the lyrical intensity that both EL?Aesop need to get back to! pure energy on that track with most of what he's saying to be pretty relevant and educated...EXACTLY why I think EL has his place firmly held in Indie hip hop elite: DISTORTED. :)

always just found EL's words/production value to be very high compared to what usually passes for creativity in the genre...I still think Funcrusher Plus is way ahead of it's time. Track down little Johnny from the hospital too if you want more proof...

Bigg Jus' solo material is also doing it's part to elevate shit since the Co-Flo split.

Last edited:

Tony Bandana

TRIBE Promoter
el presidente Highsteppa said:
Can't nail it down to just one.

I'd say

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
Dr. Octagon
Wu Tang - Forever
MF Doom - Operation Doomsday
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientelle
Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor

Was Raekwon's Cuban links 1995? Or 94?

Rae was 95

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
Muad'ib said:
I think you might be. I don't think el-p is the best MC, but some of his shit is decent. Beatwise I think he definitely has some really ill beats. Some are wack, but majority are great and definitely a unique sound.

zorak

TRIBE Member

T.O.N.Y.
invade N.Y.
mulitiply
kill a cop
me and you
you got beef
i got baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafe

dilionaire

TRIBE Member
Not necessarily my favourite of all time but:

Shape of Broad Minds - Craft of the lost art

has been on constant play since I picked it up last year.

todiefor

TRIBE Promoter
Libradragon's list is retarded in a good way but me thinks most of them are pre-95, although I could be wrong.

So many good albums listed here, btw isn't jigga reasonable doubt 94 as well?

I'm going to throw a couple out that I love tha haven't been mentioned: Fugees, the score
Notorious BIG Life After Death, double album
EmnEm the Marshall Mathers LP
various Jay-Z albums
Method Man Judgement Day
Lost Boyz legal drug money (i think that was the name of their first album)
And to cap if off, the album that set 1995 off, in my opinion the best album in this entire thread, also a Primo production — Group Home, Livin Proof

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member

deserves all the mention it gets...I know they're coming out with another but the Jux camp hasn't hit their mark since this spatial landmark

ED Larry

TRIBE Member

this albums was crazy when it came out

i've listened to that clipse album over and over, and i still like it... it's up there for me...

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
todiefor said:
Libradragon's list is retarded in a good way but me thinks most of them are pre-95, although I could be wrong.

So many good albums listed here, btw isn't jigga reasonable doubt 94 as well?
Jay Z/Reasonable Doubt was released in 1996.
Mobb Deep's The Infamous - 1995
GZA Liquid Swords - 1995
MOP - 1996
Jeru's Wrath of the Math - 1996
Luniz - 1995

:) Thank god for wikipedia!

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
schooled,son!

I had on Mos Def's mighty black on both sides and it's one of the best complete start to finish bangers of the late 90's...get that funk back,boy.

Tony Bandana

TRIBE Promoter
ED Larry said:

this albums was crazy when it came out

i've listened to that clipse album over and over, and i still like it... it's up there for me...
I like the Clipse...but honestly i think that album is mad overrated .

Ill take Method Mans 4:21 or Ghosts Fishscale all day everyday.

:D

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Tony Bandana said:
I like the Clipse...but honestly i think that album is mad overrated .
it's not when you account for the Clipses' originating fanbase and demographic...the LP caught on LARGE with the hipsters/indie kids/backpackers which was a little unexpected to say the least but when you truly weigh in who accounts for hip hop BUYING/LISTENING etc. it didn't reach a LOT of people still...

they took their music and went on their own and produced their finest moments to date. Calling it overrated is a bit of an overstatement.

Last edited:

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
Quasimoto - Unseen
Dr. Dooom - First come, First Served
Red Ants - Phobos Deimos (extremely biased on this selection as it's my friends LP)