• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ben Stiller-Enough Already...

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Is anyone else tired of Ben Stiller and his endless stream of movies where he plays some 'loveable loser schmuck'? 'Along Came Polly' is his next in line after the flop 'Duplex' which he plays another 'loveable loser schmuck',give it a rest Ben.Hes a brilliant writer,funny and smart guy and I really love him in films like'Permanent Midnight' and 'The Royal Tennenbaums' and his schtick in 'Theres Something About Mary' was great but he's beating a dead horse with this crap,its tired and lame.On top of his new movie we have to deal with 'Meet The Fockers' this year too,fuck.

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Agreed. I really liked (hated) him in "Your Friends And Neighbors". Such a detestable little worm.

Way too many shit roles, though.

defazman

TRIBE Member
He was great in Happy Gilmore.
He'll be a different character in Starsky & Hutch, and hopefully Zoolander 2 will be made sometime soon.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
totally agree...even his curb your enthusiasm episode last week was a bit too much for me...he has his usual schtick then goes for the more eccentric like tenenbaums...the irony is something about Mary really made him take off and make him a household name but also solidified him as a somewhat romantic lead in sort of gross out humour flicks...I do agree that he's in our faces a bit too much these days but REALLY want to get the Ben Stiller show DVD simply for the fact that most of that cast later did Mr. Show also for HBO...so there's good in him,it just takes more substance to get it out of him...

BTW If anyone hasn't seen Permament Midnight you're missing out on a breakthrough role...he's def. chellenged himself with that movie

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BigBadBaldy
Agreed. I really liked (hated) him in "Your Friends And Neighbors". Such a detestable little worm.

Way too many shit roles, though.
forgot about him in that!...but he brought a lot of his own character to it

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
there's a lot of talent involved with 'along came polly' including the guy that wrote 'meet the parents' (which was funny if not fresh) and phillip seymore hoffman.

his movies are still funny, unlike adam sandler and mike myers who are REALLY beating their characters to death.

jim carrey and the wilson brothers know how to pick good, diverse roles.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

silver1

TRIBE Member
Zoolander had the odd chuckle moment here and there but otheriwse it was pants.

Zoolander 2 will be even "pants-ier" and I'm guessing would make at most a few million more then the 47 that Z1 made.

Zoolander 2 won't do anything astronomical for his career.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will

jim carrey and the wilson brothers know how to pick good, diverse roles.

actually you just named my three picks of the last 5 years. Carrey not for his comedy but for the diversity of characters and portrayals. The Wilsons for being able to go from role to role and being believable time and time again no matter how silly the circumstance.

I don't find Stiller funny or to be a believable actor. But I don't think he is supposed to appeal to me. I mean I'm not a single female in her thirties with 15 cats who hasn't been on a date in over three years.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1
Zoolander had the odd chuckle moment here and there but otheriwse it was pants.

Zoolander 2 will be even "pants-ier" and I'm guessing would make at most a few million more then the 47 that Z1 made.

Zoolander 2 won't do anything astronomical for his career.
watch it again.

kodos

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
I don't find Stiller funny or to be a believable actor. But I don't think he is supposed to appeal to me. I mean I'm not a single female in her thirties with 15 cats who hasn't been on a date in over three years.
nail, head

case sensitive

TRIBE Member
I saw Permanent Midnight for the first time not to long ago, wow! He played that role really well, it was difficult to watch at times even. I agree that he needs to do something a little different because there is only so much toliet humour (literally) that one actor should commit themselves to.

Is Zoolander 2 actually going to occur? I have thought of that film as more of a cult classic with more success in rentals than in theatre, but I could be way off.

matt

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Flirting With Disaster. Great Film

I agree that I have no desire to Along Came Polly. I had no desire to see Zoolander though, and people around here at least seem to love it.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
earth to matilda.

ZOOLANDER was focking hilarious! (it wasn't the smartest comedy but i was in tears from laughing so hard.)
it IS aquired though...I( had to watch it a third time to really love it...it's a silly watch but funny as shit!

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Ben Stiller is supposed to appeal mainly to women? I must be missing something.

I agree, he's been brilliant in some things (his own show, for one), but I've had no desire to see his last few movies (except Tennenbaums). I agree, Zoolander had its moments but they were few and far between.

~jen

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders