1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

bell fibe tv picture quality?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by beaker, Aug 26, 2010.

1. beaker

beaker TRIBE Member

has anyone here signed up for bell's fibe tv?

can anyone attest to the picture quality? we're thinking of getting cable again as it is offered in our building. the one thing that has held me back is the horrendous HD picture quality from rogers and bell express vu.
  2. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

Our building was the pilot project for this and we are incredibly happy with the picture quality. I find the HD is clearer than the Rogers signal we were use to and there is less interruption.

Also, if you go with the PVR you will thank me. We can record more time, record more at a time and record I think up to 6 months into the future. There is also a really cool search function.

I am a tv guy and I couldn't be happier with the switch from Rogers to bell. Also, my internet seems much faster than the rogers high speed we use to have.

If they still offer the same deal as when we signed up 6 months ago, you get everything half price for a year.
  3. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I've got it (when it was called Bell Entertainment Service) just under a year ago. The speed of the internet is fantastic and the picture quality is awesome. I had the half price deal as well. . . I doubt they are offering it as I see they have removed the prices from the web site.
  4. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

I've been spoiled with the Entertainment package as well. Other than a couple of image pauses here and there on the TV, it's all great. They are seldom occurrences.
  5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

digitalhome.ca would be a good place to look for opinions too
  6. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Is this similar to Telus OPTIK? Cause I got to check that out a while ago and damn that was a sexy and responsive UI. It made Rogers digital look and feel stoneage by comparison.
  7. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

the GUI for fibe is similarly sexy, but then again, Rogers guide is the Madeleine Albright of GUIs
  8. Eclipze

Eclipze TRIBE Member

We signed up with Telus and couldn't be happier. Love the interface...and we got a free xbox slim to boot!!!
  9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

thats a sweet deal right there... i'd take a free xbox!
  10. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

The Rogers guide is reluctant to disclose it's Czech heritage?
  11. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Do they have to run a new line to the house? Or is it still all through the phone line?
  12. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

The Fibe is run to the street and they use existing copper wire to your house AFAIK.
  13. slice

slice TRIBE Member

I'm seriously considering this.. Looks impressive.
  14. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Correct. At my place they also installed a new box thingy outside the house and ran all nice new wire.
  15. slice

slice TRIBE Member

Just ordered it. I guess they have a lot of people getting the service as I have to wait till Sept. 7 for a tech to come and do the install.

Super stoked to see something other than the horrendous Rogers interface for years.
  16. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

does anyone know specs on this service? is it 1080i or bell's usual 720p?
  17. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

18. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

talks a lot about internet performance, but i dont see much about TV bitrate and technical specs
  19. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I went and did me some googlin' but all I found was conflicting information from various "sources" at Bell. I can however, tell you it looks really good! :p Let us know if you manage to find a definitive answer.
  20. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

i gave up asking bell employees technical questions about their services years ago.

me:"what is the resolution of your TV broadcasts? do channels come through in their native resolution or are they scaled?"
    them:"HD, the best HD"
    me:*walks away quickly*
  21. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

just think to yourselves quality nazis: what service has best future capacity for quality?

Satellites have limitations, as does Rogers/Cisco cable systems - far less limitations are active with fibre services.

I imagine that overtime we'll see more fibre competitors here but its pretty obvious, even if the quality is only marginally better or the same as what's out there - fibre is the way of the future and the service most able to expand to greater capacities for higher bitrates over time.

As headends and signal delivery expands to utilize the extra space in fibre we'll see many gains over the next decade I'm sure.
  22. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

23. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

its going to be a while before we get to Quality Nirvana.

There's a whole host of upgrades that need to happen - especially on digital specialty channels, to even provide the high bitrates for a high-bitrate service to pass on.
  24. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

I agree that fibre is the way to go in terms of being able to handle almost any bandwidth conceivable but don't think that Rogers wouldn't run fiber to their own headends (if they haven't already done so) in order to start competing. The last mile will likely still continue to be copper or coax and that's our limitation until better CPEs (customer premise equipment) are developed that will allow us to have 100 or 1000Mbps connections to the headend.

Reading some of the comments in that other thread, it seems that the encoding used by Bell is MPEG4 which allows you to compress the stream down to around 8Mbps with comparable video quality to that of a 19-20Mbps stream. That's not too shabby. Gives you the option to stream 3 HD streams into the house without sacrificing your quality. I'm also wondering that if a Rogers HDPVR can record 2 HD shows at once, does their coax give you the ability to run around 30-40Mbps assuming their streams are around 15-20Mbps?

25. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

ill cross that bridge when i come to it. i care about what my TV looks like *today* not ten years rom now.