1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Bell Fibe internet - anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by jmaggs, Mar 16, 2010.

1. jmaggs

jmaggs TRIBE Member

Just found out about this as I didn't watch much of the Olympics which were supposedly filled with Bell ads for their new Fiber internet offering.

If you're in downtown TO you can supposedly get up to 25MB download speeds.

I called today and in my area I can get the 12mb service for $10/month cheaper than the 3mb "high performance DSL" offering I was getting before. Only catch is my download cap goes from 60GB to 50GB, though if I really wanted I can pay $5/month extra to increase that to 90GB. If you get the 25MB service download cap increases to 75GB.

Anyone switched yet? Wondering if they have the same stupid time of day packet throttling which kills my torrent speeds in the evenings.

2. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

seems to me like just a quicker way to hit your cap

3. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya - I'm on a 5 up 5 down Bell corporate plan - one that had unlimited bandwidth. I still have unlimited bandwidth. The speed of Fibe is nice but I am not willing to accept a cap for more speed

4. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

i have it but dont torrent so not much help here, it is a lot faster though

i pay the extra 5 bucks it's worth it

5. jmaggs

jmaggs TRIBE Member

I guess it depends on how much you download. I grab stuff here and there, but typically only use 30-40GB/month even when I am doing a lot of downloading (by my standards), so the extra speed would be great for getting the stuff I want that much faster.

6. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

As you suggested "Fibe" isn't actually fibre in most places, just in the downtown core and a few scattered spots in Scarberia and 'Sauga. For the most part "Fibe" is really just the same old fibre to node rebranded.

Why are you guys still with a company that:

Reposted from DSLreports.

7. jmaggs

jmaggs TRIBE Member

Lesser of 3 evils?

Who would you suggest I use in Hamilton?? Cogeco? Shaw?

8. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

if you're downtown I'd look into the Bell Entertainment package. I've had it for over a year and it's blazing. I get over 20+ Mbps down, plus an HD dual-tune PVR with all the channels including TMN and HBO. All for $82.50/month. It's been half-off as a promo period, but so far the promo keeps going.

I've heard lots of horror stories about Bell, but their Entertainment division is apart from the rest, and although I've had to call technical support a few times for minor issues, they've always been quick and helpful.

9. ian

ian TRIBE Member

^ what he said. I have the same package. 20 MB is the limit, avergae is 12 MB down and 9 MB up for me. Supposed cap, but they've not nailed me yet.

10. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

I find it hilarious that the ISPs are offering ridiculously fast speeds but cutting down on your allowed monthly usage. What's the point? Seriously, there is very little speed difference in pulling up Tribe on a 3Mbps connection vs a 25Mbps connection. For most web pages there isn't enough content on the page to fill up the pipes anyways! I've been trying to figure out a good analogy for this and the best I can probably think of is that you've been given a Ferrari but only have a couple of gallons of gas a month to use it.

These high speed services that are offered are nice and definitely a leap forward but the usage caps have got to go or at least make them more realistic.

Lobo

11. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

I work at home a lot, so having the extra speed is sweet from a biz perspective. I do very little torrenting so I rarely hit cap.

12. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Not sure what Shaw is like in the east , but here in Vancouver , the cap is not enforced (not even so much as a warning) and zero throttling.

Jay

13. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I'm with TekSavvy. No caps, no limits... they're using Bell lines. Which means eventually whatever Bell offers will trickle down through the third party providers. So I'm happy to wait for the time being.

Note, I do use Bell for everything else. Mobile, landline, HD television...

14. jmaggs

jmaggs TRIBE Member

ditto. that and I'm typically running things simultaneously on 2 if not 3 PC's which would definitely benefit from increased bandwidth. That and my online gaming will definitely benefit from the BW boost :D

Well, I put in the request and switched yesterday, so I guess I'll find out if the numbers are what they say they are soon.

15. AgentSanchez

AgentSanchez TRIBE Promoter

Teksavvy ALL THE FUCKING WAY

16. StarvinMarvin

fuk teksavvy....wait till the day that you have to move, their service for that is retarded

it nice to have Customer Service where you can do nothing for your customer and just say it's all bells fault

a-holes!

I pay 6 more bucks then I did with them for bell and it's just as good, if you download like a whore maybe not but for someone would keeps around 50-70gbs a month you're better off with the big boys

17. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

I should have mentioned earlier about the caps- Bell Entertainment gives 60GB usage for up and down per month, with an additional $1.25/gig up to a max of $30.00. Still pretty decent, imo.

18. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

So you're saying "fuck teksavvy" because you didnt' give enough notice for Bell to switch your service, and rather than take Teksavvy's word at face value, you switched to the company that roadblocked the transfer and are now paying them six dollars a month more?

For what it is worth, when I was with teksavvy, I found their customer service first-rate, and their staff very much engaged with issues of net neutrality. When it came time to cancel my service, they were reliable down to the time of day they promised it would be off.

I can honestly say, I've never had a better experience with an ISP ever.

Rogers are hardly saints, but Bell has been systematically destroying broadband progress in Canada by stifling innovation & crushing free market competition, all the while spending millions of dollars every year pretending to be our best friend and telecom saviour.

Subscribe to Bell, by all means, but think about how your patronage contributes to Canada falling behind in a sector we were once a global leader in.

19. StarvinMarvin

I love how you make the dumbass ASSumption that I did not give them proper notice, which I did......lol

I left Teksavvy because they would not do anything for their client who gave them ample notice but say oh well....

when Bell or Rogers messes shit up they at least will compensate their client in some way instead of saying "oh well" and I'll gladly wait on hold for that

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  20. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

How much notice did you give? You're not making a clear case for how Teksavvy wronged you, other than "they would not do anything for their client".

When I was getting my dry-loop setup with Teksavvy, I waited around several times for the Bell tech to come install, and they were a no show. When they did show up, they disconnected my neighbours phone instead of hooking my dry-loop up. It took weeks to finally get setup with them, but I could plainly understand they had little control over the wholesaler who controlled the infrastructure.

Did they charge you for that period when you did not have a connection? In my case, they knocked off the portion of the bill where I was not receiving service. That to me, is meeting my expectations for service.

TSI is a relatively small company that despite being under the thumb of Ma Bell, fights for their users rights and is engaged in the politics of net neutrality that far Canadians should be aware of.

21. StarvinMarvin

2 months notice and then when Bell didnt show up for the disconnect when they were supposed to, do you think Tekassy called me to inform me the disconnect did not take place and they would not be coming while I sat at home taking a day off from work for all this to happen...nope that would be to easy, so why do it at all when you can just point a finger....when I asked for them to eat up part of my bill for the inconvience they did not ...great CS so amazing

22. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

You're assuming Teksavvy was notified by Bell that they were not coming, when that was clearly not the case. In fact, Bell CS surely wouldn't even know if a tech didn't show up as planned until well after the fact. Only at the end of a shift, are they aware that a tech has or has not completed their daily assignments.

It sounds like our situations were similar, I too took time off work and was stood up by Bell (twice)! Rather than get angry at the company that empathized with my frustrations, yet was unable to do anything about it, I instead directed my frustration at Bell, swearing off further patronage. You chose to reward them for their incompetence by switching to their service and paying more. Pardon me if I see holes in your logic.

I'm still not clear if Teksavvy charged you for the period following the planned disconnect, or if you were frustrated that they refused to compensate you for the inconvenience. If it is the former, you have my sympathies, if it is the latter, I can understand your frustration, but I can also understand how a company like Teksavvy does not have the resources to compensate you for the incompetence of their wholesaler, who of course, refuses to compensate their client (Teksavvy) for the very same incompetence!

23. StarvinMarvin

no compensation and even if Bell did not notify them, they could have done more than sit on their hands waiting until the end of the day to find out the status of the job order, to me that is lack of caring on their part because they know they can use bell as their scapegoat....I know Bell is not saint in the situation but the whole thing in my opinion was handled very poorly by tekassy and they would not eat up even part of my bill for me and my roomate losing a day of work because of their retarded 8 hr window for service which they do not monitor at all

again 5 dollah more and better CS in opinion in the end, plus Bell will back their poor service if it happens and offer a free month or eat up a larger chunk of your bill for their errors to keep your service, where tekassy offers you peanuts and excuses

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  24. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Like I said above, there is no way for Teksavvy (or Bell) to find out if a tech missed their appointment until the end of the day, so they weren't "sitting on their hands" as much as they were helpless to provide an update on your job order status. A large company like Bell has the option of eating part of your bill, because they extract so much profit elsewhere, gouging customers and engaging in deplorable business practices.

You're now paying $60 a year more, because Teksavvy wouldn't compensate you for an inconvenience that was out of their hands.

It is a real shame when a company like Teksavvy does all they can to be transparent, ethical and accountable and they lose business because clients are unable to see the forest for the trees.

25. StarvinMarvin

they have direct access to the people who handle the disconnect and can call them at anytime during this window for service, so as the day was drawing to a close they could have easily found out it was not happening and called me to tell me I would have no internet and even when the day was over do you think they called me to notify me that nothing happened at all

please stop feeding me BS...they fucked up and would not own up to it