• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Belinda Stronach Resigns as Magna CEO

Stop Bill C-10

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
unless you were below the poverty line. ;)

No. Everyone would get the "I'd hit it" tax break.

"Below the poverty line" was just the euphemism she used to describe your performance.

:p

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
Isn't she married to Johan Olav Koss? The Norwegian speedskater who is now some type of goodwill ambassador for the UN? I know he runs some kind of charitable org, but can't remember what.
was, is no more.

Another reason single moms will be able identify with her - a lout's a lout whether he was a plumber or an Olympic medallist.
(actually, they're still friends from what I hear)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KickIT
Well apparently Stronach has come out in favour of same-sex marriage which is in sharp contrast to Stephen Harper.

*c*

yes, but she's opposed to decriminalization. BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
from today's star:

Political debut fails to impress

Stronach still very much a blank page

CHANTAL HEBERT
OTTAWA BUREAU

On the basis of her opening performance as would-be leader of the new federal Conservative party, could Belinda Stronach hope to hold her own against Paul Martin, Jack Layton and Gilles Duceppe in an election campaign expected to be called in about 12 weeks? To that fundamental question, the answer is a resounding no.

Even if a federal election call were not imminent, Stronach would need more than a few extra months to weave whatever threads of political talent she brings to the fore into solid national leadership material.

Indeed, for all the political advice — free or otherwise — she has been getting over the past few weeks, she did not exactly hold her own yesterday, snuffing the enthusiasm of a hometown crowd in Aurora with a flat speech and then stumbling on a highly predictable policy issue over the course of her news conference.

It could well be that a teleprompter has helped many a nervous CEO get through a shareholders meeting, but it takes a real pro to use one effectively at a political rally.

Stronach is no such pro and her use of the prop made her come across as wooden, and overly scripted, slowly but surely depleting the room of its adrenalin.

It did not help that the text was almost as flat as the delivery.

While her backers have been advertising her as a fresh face, fresh ideas are apparently not included in the initial Stronach package.

Her speech came across as a cut-and-paste mix of clichés as familiar to the political circuit as rubber chicken, with a few leftovers from the Ontario Tory policy handbook such as deductible mortgage payments thrown in for good measure.

Stronach's main prescription for medicare yesterday involved sending itemized accounting of their health-care spending to patients so as to sensitize them to rising costs.

With all the money Stronach is spending on political expertise, someone should tell her that the daily running of the health-care system is the responsibility of provincial governments, not the prime minister.

For days, Stronach well-wishers had been warning her of the perils of dealing with the dreaded parliamentary press gallery.

As a former MP once put it to me, we write with pencils that have no erasers. And Stronach, an auto-parts heiress and former CEO of Magna International, is very much a blank page.

To avoid traps, she stuck faithfully to her script.

The problem is that some key lines seemed to be missing.

It is said that two dozen Tory spin doctors took turns quizzing Stronach in preparation for her initial encounter with the national media, and that she passed the test with flying colours.

It could be that they were themselves rusty. After all, they have been out of government federally for more than a decade.

For whatever reason, they seemed to have forgotten to prep her properly on some basic foreign policy questions.

Of all the defining issues of the past year, none has a higher profile than Canada's stance on the Iraq war. And, of all the responsibilities that fall on the shoulders of a prime minister, none does so as squarely as the decision to send Canadian men and women to war.

And yet, when asked whether she would have been willing to commit troops to the Iraq war last year, Stronach fudged her answer, asserting that she was "not a military expert ..."

In an election debate, that's the kind of line from which there is no return; in this leadership campaign it will come back to haunt her. As will her outspoken support for same-sex marriage, a brave enough stance, especially by comparison to Prime Minister Martin's opportunistic ambiguity on the issue, but one that may border on suicidal in a party that features a strong social conservative wing.

Finally, there is her incapacity to use French in any meaningful way.

Yesterday, she stuck to a few prepared lines in French to promise to learn the language in the future, a familiar promise of unilingual leadership candidates that has always failed to impress Quebecers in the past.

One can only wonder how the Quebec Tory establishment — which has massively followed Brian Mulroney into her camp — will explain its choice.

After all it was the former prime minister who always used to insist that without a bilingual leader, the Tories would be shut out of 100 ridings where the francophone vote determines the outcome.

There are those who argue that Stronach is a work in progress. John Laschinger, her veteran campaign manager, notes he has to accomplish with her in 10 weeks what Martin had 10 years to achieve.

Maybe so, but considering yesterday's performance, that sounds like saying there is a realistic way to go from kindergarten to university in just one year.

In a federal election campaign, Stronach would have lost seats for her party yesterday.

As this is still only the leadership contest, she handed rivals Stephen Harper and Tony Clement their best campaign day to date.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
Isn't she married to Johan Olav Koss? The Norwegian speedskater who is now some type of goodwill ambassador for the UN? I know he runs some kind of charitable org, but can't remember what.

I think they are in the middle of a divorce.
Number 2 for her. Gotta like that.:)

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by moose-meat

She's got my vote because she has no prior political experience.
Not the usual run-of-the-mill trough- wallowing boring Canuck
politician.

What does she have ?
Business smarts.
Probably has a pretty good idea of how to manage my tax dollars.

I say give her a chance.

And another thing....

So what if she's rich ?
That just means she probably cant be bribed.

I am surprised over the reaction so far.
Canada is supposed to be such a cool place.
Same-sex marriages , lax pot laws etc etc.

BUT , smart , rich attractive woman for political office ??
Oh my God , we aint ready for that.
Just give us another cookie-cutter crook from Quebec.

frickin hypocrits.

Some valid concerns, but moose-meat hold onto those insults. The ideas you raise are ones that are quite common in regard to the business community in politics, and in my opinion, ones that business types like to rely on to gain support with those outside the business community, but really have no basis in fact.

In my opinion, bribery & favourtism occurs much more frequently with business type politicians because really, it's how normal business operation is conducted. You need a client, you schmooze them to get their business, you get their business end of story. That's all fine & dandy for the business world, but running a democratic country this way, contradicts the basic values democracy is based on.

Example. In a large business, you have a board of directors that make decisions on everything from finances to marketing, while the rest of the people within a company continue on in the role that's assigned to them, and are for the most part excluded from participating in the decision making process. The focus of the company for the most part is to serve the board & it's shareholders, and not those within the company. In a democratic country, the focus is to serve the people within it, and within it only, our vote is our participation in theis process, and the people making the decisions at the top are those elected by the people to reflect the people's concerns and not that of any other specialized body. So in essence we're a corporation run by workers, not a corporation run by a wealthy board of directors.

The problem occurs when business types run their policy as if our country follows the board of directors model, concentrating on treating a select few that have financial or business interests and ignoring the the concerns of those that have a social or domestic interest. You can see the scandilous effect this has on even a local scale. The Computer leasing scandal, & the Union Station deal are good places to start if you wish to learn more about how it can happen.

I'm not making pre-judgements about Belinda, but because she was born into money, I wouldn't be so quick to call her smart or business savvy. 1 Year at york is laughable also. Err, and I also wouldn't go near the attractive title either. Unless you believe the Toronto Sun as being gospel.

As for the tax issue, right wing economics consists of supply side tax structures, where a large disproportionate amount of the tax burdon get's placed on the middle class, slowly eroding it, and eroding class mobility along with it. The tax exemptions of right wing economic structures usually go to those who are in the upper percentile of the tax bracket, and corporate level taxes. So if you think your tax dollars get better "managed", unless you're raking in $200,000+, it would be the wrong attitude to hold with her.

Again, all I ask is instead of relying on faith, or the sheer novelty of having a marginally attractive rich woman get into politics, base your ideas on things more concrete.

Anyone else is free to provide an alternate viewpoint.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS

Again, all I ask is instead of relying on faith, or the sheer novelty of having a marginally attractive rich woman get into politics, base your ideas on things more concrete.

Anyone else is free to provide an alternate viewpoint.

Excellent response.

I am basing it all on someone with zero political experience
because I am sick of what we have had for the past 10 years.

Gimme something new.

crave_e

TRIBE Member

I'm not making pre-judgements about Belinda, but because she was born into money, I wouldn't be so quick to call her smart or business savvy. 1 Year at york is laughable also. Err, and I also wouldn't go near the attractive title either. Unless you believe the Toronto Sun as being gospel.

Excellent point. IMO Belinda has no business smarts. She has done nothing to prove her herself in the marketplace.
Magna is such a large, well, oiled machine, that you could put a monkey, as president and it would still run efficiently.

Look at her Resume:
Honorary degrees.
President of Magna
Sits on the Board of Tesma, Decoma

Looks nice but if you investigate
Honorary degrees. (come on...universities love giving out fluffing honorary degrees....Roger Moore got a degree from Ryerson a few years ago)
President of Magna (Hi dad, I'm bored can I run the company for a few years?)
Sits on the Board of Tesma, Decoma (Tesma and Decoma are divisions of Magna. Of course she would sit on the boards)

I love this excerpt from the Toronto Star
$B!H(BAnd yet, when asked whether she would have been willing to commit troops to the Iraq war last year, Stronach fudged her answer, asserting that she was "not a military expert ..."

Have a stinking opinion your stupid B*TCH!!

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Excellent response.

I am basing it all on someone with zero political experience
because I am sick of what we have had for the past 10 years.

Gimme something new.

Well if it's any concession, Martin & Chretien were fairly opposite as far as many policies go.. Martin is very hard lined against spending and has more than proven himself in the realm of financial management if that's what's important to you. You should look into it.. comparing him to this woman is fairly laughable as she has done nothing to prove she'll spend your money wisely.

But again, the choice is yours.. just make sure it's informed.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member

But again, the choice is yours.. just make sure it's informed.

Valid.
And we have lots of time to get the information
on all the potential candidates. Which I will do.

But for now , all my attention is on her
since she is a breath of fresh air to the normally drab world
of Canadian Federal politics.

Rather than diss her right off the start , I will give her the chance
to make some speeches and see if she has any ideas.
Hope she does.....

OTIS

TRIBE Member

Hope she does.....

Good stuff.. that's more like it.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
Good stuff.. that's more like it.

You knew I would see the light !
It just takes a while to get a point to sink into my thick skull.

Well , I could babble on , but looks like its time to go shovel
some frickin snow. And then have a Guiness.

later !:)

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Valid.
And we have lots of time to get the information
on all the potential candidates. Which I will do.

But for now , all my attention is on her
since she is a breath of fresh air to the normally drab world
of Canadian Federal politics.

Hope she does.....

fresh meat is fun to watch!!

But now the bets are on.

I bet CBC and Toronto Star tear her to Shreds over the next little while. I argue that by Feb 21 there will be one minor scandal. She is not going to square off to well outside of Ontario, but they will have small rooms that are full or press confrence style events.

Hey wait a second

where did Eves have his budget release....

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I'd say Martin is going to give the Nazi par.. errr I mean Conservative Conservative party a run for their money.. they'd have a hard time attacking his economic policy. The only chance they really got is hitting Chretien's legacy and try to link them upon party lines.. but too many know the reality of that.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Thats right it was at her plant!!! How much did they bill for that again???

they can't be serious this woman is going to get torn to shreds in a federal fight against a seated Liberal.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
this woman is going to get torn to shreds in a federal fight against a seated Liberal.

Looks like she is going to tear herself to shreds , judging from her 1st radio interview. Not off to a good start.

Its a cruel world.....

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Looks like she is going to tear herself to shreds , judging from her 1st radio interview. Not off to a good start.

Its a cruel world.....

not everyone who you field in a leadership race you field as a potential winner. The PC's for instance fielded Garth Turner three times, not once was he a real candidate. He was there purely to make points about the GTA and to be used to gauge the responses of others. So basically he would say the new policy, if all the papers tore it to shreds whoopdy due, if everyone liked the idea than the night of the election it would be brought up by the winning candidate.

You can't have your eventual winner look like an idiot, you use your third tear never stand a chance players to do that and then you make them ambassadors somewhere far away.