• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Belinda Stronach Resigns as Magna CEO

crave_e

TRIBE Member
I've been a long time PC, but having Belinda Stroncah leading my beloved PC parties is a bit concerning. Any other PCers on Tribe...or am I the only conservative here?

Belinda Stronach resigns as Magna CEO

Globe and Mail Update

Belinda Stronach, who will launch her run for the Conservative Party leadership Tuesday morning, has resigned as president and CEO of auto parts maker Magna International Inc.

In her place, her father, Frank Stronach, will take the role of interim president.

"I would like to thank all Magna employees for their past support," Ms. Stronach said in a statement released just after 9 a.m. She is holding a press conference at 11:30 a.m., when she will announce that she will be the third candidate to join the race.

"I leave Magna well positioned to deliver strong operating results in the future and have every confidence that Magna will continue to outperform its competitors."

Magna's board has struck a committee that will search for a replacement for Ms. Stronach.

"On behalf of the board of directors and the company's employees, I would like to express our appreciation for the outstanding contributions Belinda has made to Magna shareholders, customers and employees as President and CEO," Mr. Stronach said.

He said members of the management team will take on "increased responsibilities."

Ms. Stronach, 37, is expected to use her kick-off speech in her hometown of Aurora, Ont., to appeal to rank-and-file Canadians to join her effort to lead the new party by portraying herself as a new brand, a source told The Globe and Mail.

She will be joining former Canadian Alliance leader Stephen Harper and former Ontario Health Minister Tony Clement in the race.
A major plank of her strategy is to convince individuals outside the party to buy memberships as a way to overcome the lead that front-runner Mr. Harper has already fashioned. To do so, however, she will have to transform great interest in her campaign into excitement and memberships.

Although campaign workers are tight-lipped about how many memberships Ms. Stronach can sell, one Conservative strategist speculated that if her campaign catches fire, the number could be between 50,000 and 100,000. That number will not be easily achieved, however, given that there are only six weeks until the membership cutoff.

As well, Ms. Stronach's politics are virtually unknown.

Her father once ran for office as a Liberal, and Magna has contributed corporate funding to a variety of political parties and individual politicians.

She does, however, have the support of a number of high-level Tories.
Ms. Stronach's campaign team includes longtime federal Tory pollster and strategist John Laschinger, Ontario PC strategist Jaime Watt, and Rod Love, a longtime Alliance and Reform strategist who helped bring Alberta Premier Ralph Klein to office.

Former Ontario premier Mike Harris and fellow ex-Ontario premier William Davis are endorsing her leadership bid, and she has sought advice from everyone from Mr. Klein to former prime minister Brian Mulroney.

However, deep pockets may be less of an advantage than first thought for Ms. Stronach, since campaign rules put a $2.5-million cap on expenditures for each candidate.

Ms. Stronach will also announce that she will seek a parliamentary seat in her base north of Toronto.

Despite intense curiosity in her campaign, Ms. Stronach starts well behind Mr. Harper, who has been organizing for at least two months. Mr. Clement also has substantially deeper roots in the party.

The party's convention to choose a new leader will take place in Ottawa on March 20.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Yeah ... I don't know where I stand on the candidates. Harper seems to lack charisma so far, and his leadership might make it difficult for the Conservative party to shake its image of simply being the Alliance with a new logo. On the other hand, he's a smart guy and has a good grasp of policy.

Stronach is causing a stir because she is a new face, and I can understand how she fits into the whole purpose of creating a new party and trying to broaden the tent of support. But I can't help feeling her leadership bid is a bit opportunistic and she seems weak on policy as the article mentioned.

It's a tough call.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
My personal political compass leans to the right, but this news doesnt surprise me, nor inspire me to change my vote in anyway. She has been a person of privalge with little experience in the political arena. From what I was able to gather although Magna is a rag to riches story, she didnt really have a hand in that, rather it was her father on the helm. She would be a pretty easy candidate to target because of this.

"Ms. Stronach went to York University and studied business for one year before dropping out and going to work for the family firm. At 23, she was already a member of the board."

"Her experience is hardly of the shop-floor type, however. While brother Andrew did train as a tool and die maker, like his father, Ms. Stronach worked mostly in human resources and took on particular assignments for her father, such as closing down his business magazine."

crave_e

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD
My personal political compass leans to the right, but this news doesnt surprise me, nor inspire me to change my vote in anyway. She has been a person of privalge with little experience in the political arena. From what I was able to gather although Magna is a rag to riches story, she didnt really have a hand in that, rather it was her father on the helm. She would be a pretty easy candidate to target because of this.

"Ms. Stronach went to York University and studied business for one year before dropping out and going to work for the family firm. At 23, she was already a member of the board."
I guess that is my main problem with her. She was born into wealth and has no appreciation of the drive or determination that is needed for success. I hope she fails in her goal to be PC leader. I would rather vote for someone who has experience in politics versus experience in being hand fed success.

Has anyone else seen the Magna facility? This place is ridiculous…private golf courses, private churches; they have their own police/security service. The first time I passed the Magna facility I thought it was an University. If anyone is in the area of Aurora, take a drive to Magna head office, very impressive.
Damn rich bitch with to much time on her hands.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Since when does being born rich, working for daddy, a spotty employment history and a dubious personal past qualify one to be Governor and President, er, I mean, party leader and Prime Minister?

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kerouacdude
Since when does being born rich, working for daddy, a spotty employment history and a dubious personal past qualify one to be Governor and President, er, I mean, party leader and Prime Minister?
It's always been part of the scenery. Always. You think our government is that different from the monarchies of old? Heh.

mingster

TRIBE Member
haha...belinda stronach thinks she can relate to the more destitute members of society because she is "a busy working mother".

what a fucking joke.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
She's got my vote because she has no prior political experience.
Not the usual run-of-the-mill trough- wallowing boring Canuck
politician.

What does she have ?
Business smarts.
Probably has a pretty good idea of how to manage my tax dollars.

I say give her a chance.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
And another thing....

So what if she's rich ?
That just means she probably cant be bribed.

I am surprised over the reaction so far.
Canada is supposed to be such a cool place.
Same-sex marriages , lax pot laws etc etc.

BUT , smart , rich attractive woman for political office ??
Oh my God , we aint ready for that.
Just give us another cookie-cutter crook from Quebec.

frickin hypocrits.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by moose-meat
And another thing....

So what if she's rich ?

frickin hypocrits.

Wah?!? That makes no sense man; the fact that she's from a business background is precisely why we're suspicious of her motives. You make it sound as though she's the first person with business smarts in Canadian politics!! :confused:

exheres

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by moose-meat
And another thing....

So what if she's rich ?

frickin hypocrits.
You post in this thread was greatly appreciated Mr. Stonach. :)
Your wife is great and I'm sure would make a great prime minister.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Isn't she married to Johan Olav Koss? The Norwegian speedskater who is now some type of goodwill ambassador for the UN? I know he runs some kind of charitable org, but can't remember what.

I'd hit it, I mean vote for her. Harper is baaaaad news.

Why the fuck didn't Lord run?

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
She doesn't stand a chance, and as unfair as it is its because she is a woman. The PC's already tried that and it left them hung out to dry, and the old Alliance isn't voting in a rich girl from Ontario.

She is there purely to make it look like they are trying to have a race but she serves no direct purpose. She is a cheerleader who believes she is one of the athletes and because she is already wealthy nobody feels guilty using her as such.

Jazz

TRIBE Member
when frank stronach was asked about his daughter's privileged upbringing he commented (something to the effect of) "she wasn't born with a golden spoon in her mouth... we didn't even have a swimming pool for most of her childhood"

NO POOL?!? it's a miracle she survived such a tough childhood...

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jazz
when frank stronach was asked about his daughter's privileged upbringing he commented (something to the effect of) "she wasn't born with a golden spoon in her mouth... we didn't even have a swimming pool for most of her childhood"

NO POOL?!? it's a miracle she survived such a tough childhood...
Funny thing is having grown up with some children of very rich families the vast majority of them did have the privilage you would expect. In many cases there parents although supplying them with better options for schools were die hards on the I made it myself you do the same atitude.

People who are self made tend to be very much of the atitude that they will help you in every way possible but you really have to do it yourself...

Not saying this is her situation or not. Regardless I thing the party is using her and has no intention of having her as there leader in a greater sense.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Well apparently Stronach has come out in favour of same-sex marriage which is in sharp contrast to Stephen Harper.

Same-sex marriage is a human right, not a social value: Stronach

WINNIPEG (CP) - Conservative leadership candidate Belinda Stronach formally kicked off her western campaign swing Wednesday by wading deeper into the potentially divisive issue of same-sex marriage.

Stronach told CJOB radio host Charles Adler that same-sex unions are a human right. "People should be treated equally under the law, whether you're a man, woman, whatever religion you may embrace or whatever culture you come from," said Stronach during her first public event since launching her campaign Tuesday in Aurora, Ont.

But she said she understands that many party members don't share her position and added she will listen to them and would ultimately leave the issue up to a free vote in Parliament.

Stronach's position contrasts with that of her opponent Stephen Harper, who drew applause during a speech in Winnipeg last week when he defined marriage not as a human right but as a social value shared between a man and a woman.

Harper, leader of the Canadian Alliance, is widely perceived to have a strong lead in western Canada because of the party's strong numbers within the new Conservative party.

However, former Manitoba Premier Gary Filmon and several former and current provincial Tories are among those offering Stronach help and endorsements.

The former president of auto-parts giant Magna International frequently referred to her corporate experience as evidence she is the "middle-of-the-road" candidate who can bridge the varying levels of social conservatism among former members of the Alliance and the Progressive Conservatives.

"I do think this new party needs to create a bigger tent where Canadians can feel comfortable and come into that bigger tent," said Stronach.

Aside from her comments on same-sex marriage, Stronach provided little detail about her platform during her brief stop in Winnipeg.

She made repeated references to the need to "bake a bigger economic pie" but didn't provide a recipe or ingredients when pressed by reporters after the radio show.

Stronach talked about making stable health-care funding a priority, but did not state a position on the provinces' request for a $2-billion increase in federal transfer payments.

Stronach said this initial phase of the campaign is not the time for specifics.

"At this point I'm still speaking with Canadians across the country," she said. "I would like to continue to do that and we'll come with a firmer, more defined position in the coming weeks."

The leadership vote will take place March 19-21.
*c*

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
I'd hit it.

And then I'd flip a quarter onto her stomach and walk out.
Yes. But if the PC's were in power, that quarter would most likely be tax deductible! ;)