• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Belinda appointed to Liberal cabinet

JESuX

TRIBE Member
OTIS et al:

It doesn't matter that words like 'whore' and 'prostitute' can be applied to both male and females, the fact remains that it has been constructed in our culture as derogatory towards woman.
To 'prostitute' oneself is quite a gendered comment.

Aphrodite

TRIBE Member
Chiclet here:

^^^ many male MPs have crossed over. Were they accused of prosituting or whoring themselves?

I always thought it was weird that she was a Conservative, especially because of her stance on equal marriage.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by fleaflo
You know, to me it's not just the comments, it's the fact that you have no idea about the extent of her ability to manage or lead. You've made all sorts of assumptions about her business experience, which all happen to be negative. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Preston Manning a school teacher before he jumped right into politics? Aren't there a lot of business people who've jumped into the political ring for many reasons...being bored I'm sure ranks right up there.

So what exactly is your point? She has just pulled off something that will be remembered for a long time in political circles. How she handles things from here is certainly going to be scrutinized. Are you disgusted that this sort of thing is allowed to happen, cause if you are then fine. But lets be honest, it's politics and this kind of shit goes on all the time.

What were your thoughts on Charest when he crossed the floor to run the Liberal party in Quebec cause that must have annoyed the shit out of you too.
yeah i did loose respect for charest when he jumped federal ship,
and mike harris was school teacher for some time beofre he ran and it disappointed me how poorly he dealt with education during his tenure,

id call mike harris an asshole for some of the things hes done,
but do i have to partake in some massive critical analysis of his motives and reconsider each and every negative thing about him simply because most politicians are jerks anyway?

the fact that this sort of thing happens all the time in politics is akin to suggesting that what belinda did was ok because other people did it. others who have crossed over got shit on, and so did she.

again on merit alone the timing of her move was far too tactical to suggest that it was soley on the basis of political ideology. this is what stinks most in my mind, it was federal democracy at its worst. i think its a shit on those who voted for her as a conservative candidate.

call her daring if you will but dont suggest she should be free of shitbagging simply becuase its nothing new in a dirty political game.

Colm

TRIBE Member
hilarious shit spouted in this thread - one should never forget the hilarity to be found within the 'politics' forum.

IMHO - I think the Liberals are rotten (for the record I think all the other parties are rotten too, but the Liberals more so). Martin, who is a complete boob when it comes to politicking, is an astute business man. The tapping and subsequent bribing (let's be honest here, does anyone truly believe Stronach would have joined up if she was just going to be an MP?) appear to be Martin & his adivisors realising his own capacities and fully exploiting them. It thus is the deal of the year, more so than the buying of the NDP or heck, bigger than Kerkorian's latest market move. Top marks for Martin breaking out of his predecessor's shadow, save the fact that this type of stuff cannot get you out of every scrape. Luckily enough, the Liberals have the CBC & Canwest Media to provide postive & in many parts of the country, blanket coverage of the events in Ottawa.

However, that said, I am growing more and more disenchanted with Canadian politics, or at least politics being reported by the media. As much as I profoundly detest the Conservatives and much of what they stand for, I cannot believe the amount of nonsense the average person spouts out with someone mentions Harper, Duceppe or any other member of Canada's 'evil empire'. Will the Conservatives tear apart Canada by Joining in with the Bloc in defeating the Liberals? Are the Conservatives bad for Canada insofar as they are for civil-unions and other media-unfriendly positions?

In Canada we now have the situation which Betrand Russell, or one of those guys, famously applied to organized religion - a small group of people claiming to have all authority over what's, in this case, "good for Canada", and restricting discussion as such.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Colm
Luckily enough, the Liberals have the CBC & Canwest Media to provide postive & in many parts of the country, blanket coverage of the events in Ottawa.
are you felling alright? Canwest... pro-liberal?

The tapping and subsequent bribing appear to be Martin & his adivisors realising his own capacities and fully exploiting them. It thus is the deal of the year, more so than the buying of the NDP.
you have no idea about what went on behind closed doors. you assume martin instigated the floor-crossing. you assume it would not have happened without the cabinet position. all assumptions.

..and the buying of the NDP? it's called compromise.. it's a good thing.

why not

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by judge wopner
i dont know where you formed the presumption that im some dumb sexist pig
well...

because i call belinda a blow job queen and defend sexulaized insults directed at her

she was pro-gay marrige, though that may have been to justify her experimentation during college.....

all the hardest work was done when she was still blow job queen at upper canada college.

and i stand by my blow job queen contention, you can just tell, its a gut insticnt

when she was a conservative i called her a money hungary bitch,

but i have no interest in advancing womens casues

i forgot that we are supposed to kisss girls asses who are know cuties on tribe, even in the politics forum. i cant wait to see who will quote your post and agree, mabey even send you a PM later to get more attention.

starr

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by why not
well...
why not you're completely off-base

judge wopner just pretends to be offensive and antagonistic to facilitate discussion
i've definitely been guilty of this tactic every now and then
(i could even be accused of doing it right now)
but wopner's got it down to a science

so yeah, he's not sexist
he just looks that way ;)

starr

TRIBE Member
I found this in Saturday's Toronto Star...
I don't watch CNN so I don't know much about Schnieder, so I don't really know his political "angle", but whatever.
I bolded my favourite part.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stronach's power play electrifies CNN pundits

She stunned a nation, broke her boyfriend's heart, infuriated the federal Conservatives and almost single-handedly saved Canada's Liberal government — which made Belinda Stronach CNN's Political Play of the Week.

Describing her as a wealthy femme fatale and Bill Clinton's "good friend," the cable news network lauded her yesterday for her astonishing switch from the Tory front bench to the Liberal cabinet two days before a vote that saved the minority government.

"Stronach made a move that shocked the normally staid world of Canadian politics," reported CNN's Bill Schneider. "Stronach switched parties — it would be like (Republican House majority leader) Tom DeLay becoming a Democrat."

Schneider noted a "complicating factor — her relationship with the deputy leader of the Conservative party. CNN aired a clip of a "devastated" Peter MacKay saying he ``didn't see this coming." Some cringe-worthy clips were in the piece — notably two provincial Tories, Ontario's Bob Runciman and Alberta's Tony Abbott, shooting sexist language Stronach's way in comments that seemed to stun even Schneider, a veteran U.S. political commentator who has seen some serious mud slung.

Runciman was shown calling her "an attractive dipstick" as Abbott accused her of "whoring" herself to the Liberals — for which he later apologized.

"Talk about going over the line," Schneider added. He compared the Stronach affair to "a film noir — betrayal, dangerous liaisons, in an exotic and alluring locale" — before adding incredulously: "Canada?"

CANADIAN PRESS

why not

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by starr
why not you're completely off-base

judge wopner just pretends to be offensive and antagonistic to facilitate discussion
i've definitely been guilty of this tactic every now and then
(i could even be accused of doing it right now)
but wopner's got it down to a science

so yeah, he's not sexist
he just looks that way ;)
i make no assumptions about his intentions, just clarifying how it would be possible that someone else might make some assumptions based on the things he posts.
or something.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JESuX
OTIS et al:

It doesn't matter that words like 'whore' and 'prostitute' can be applied to both male and females, the fact remains that it has been constructed in our culture as derogatory towards woman.
To 'prostitute' oneself is quite a gendered comment.
Sure it matters. I use the verb prostitute more often to describe the behaviour of a sell-out than I do the behaviour of prostitutes, and it's used as such in political discourse all the time. Meanings of words change all the time, which is the primary basis for etymology. Before Soviet era rule, the term ‘propaganda’ was a fairly benign description of information, before the 60's, the term 'gay' more implied joy rather than a sexual orientation. I'm not saying that contemporarily, to prostitute ones self exclusively describes a sell-out, but it is used fairly often without a gender-attachment or sexual subtext. That being said, I can’t say the same for the rest of the ass-hatted conservative reaction. I have to shake my head at that pig-headedness.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by starr

She stunned a nation, broke her boyfriend's heart, infuriated the federal Conservatives and almost single-handedly saved Canada's Liberal government — which made Belinda Stronach CNN's Political Play of the Week.
Yeah.

Ok, now sweetie, don't fuck it up by saying:

"Oh, I think Peter McKay is being mean to me because I'm his ex-girlfriend!"

That'll kill you.

Now, go shake shit up some more.

Hot Blonde Alpha Chicks Rule!

Not bored yet.