• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Belinda appointed to Liberal cabinet

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
don't hijack the thread, especially with such a weak-ass defense.
im willing to open this up to discussion to check the merits of that crack made, ill defend whatever for the sake of some interesting discussion, otehrwise we can restrict the thread to belinda,

unless your need to be the thread sheriff will hijack this thread by proxy.
:p

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by judge wopner
i forgot that we are supposed to kisss girls asses who are know cuties on tribe, even in the politics forum. i cant wait to see who will quote your post and agree, mabey even send you a PM later to get more attention.
why do you routinely comment on female tribe members' appearances when you're debating with them in here? you've done it to me before and i've seen you do it to other girls. why don't you just stick to the subject matter?

it's weird dude.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i think the fact that you mention some 'tribe cutie' status (which btw is totally out of leftfield) to discount my opinion goes to show your perspective better than any rebuttal i could formulate.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
i think the fact that you mention some 'tribe cutie' status (which btw is totally out of leftfield) to discount my opinion goes to show your perspective better than any rebuttal i could formulate.
did you think by me suggesting you may be cute meant that your opinion doesnt count? not at all, it definately speaks to peoples tendency to agree with others, this board included. i disagree with any merit in your accusation

your claim that im sexist is based on a faulty intepretation of my comments about belinda.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
are you fucking nuts? you think he's telling you that your absolutely retarded defense is weak-ass because bb is a 'tribe cutie?'

pathetic, dude.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
case in point.
You're a case.

I really believe you try to confuse people into making a point. Never mind your posts and how they routinely resemble an overthrown Scrabble board.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes
are you fucking nuts? you think he's telling you that your absolutely retarded defense is weak-ass because bb is a 'tribe cutie?'

pathetic, dude.
oh i forgot i cant be a jerk off in the politics forum, its all business all the time.

like i said, i wanted to open this up and have discussion about sexism in general, and specifically to politics, but i got a bunch of name calling and cracks about hijacking the threat or that being a weak defense.

how in shit would saying you want to discuss something further constitute a weak defense?

id actually welcome your comments on the topic but i get the feeling you may view it as a waste of your time.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Good for Belinda. Loyalty above all, save Honour, that is a good way to live your life. And there is no honour in teaming up with treasonous bastards aka the conservative/bloc alliance.

That being said, the whole dumping of McKay does call her character into question. Love transcends politics, so I hope the timing of this is all a big coincidence. Otherwise, that's pretty opportunistic.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
hmmm but maybe if she did not agree with the views of the party and her b/f it would only make sense to cut all ties kinda like a junkie gotta just cut everyone out and move on.

I do want to think that she left the conservatives for the right reasons bah but what politician isent an oppertunist

lucky1

TRIBE Member
THis whole "crossing the floor" incident is really getting me to pay attention to politics.... must be the drama... I'm excitied to see how the vote will go. Another MP crossed the floor previously if I remember? What exactly is the minority in terms of seats? how close? will her move have a noticable impact?

ps sorry for joining this thread late... I haven't read this entire thread.....

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
like i said, i wanted to open this up and have discussion about sexism in general...
You know, to me it's not just the comments, it's the fact that you have no idea about the extent of her ability to manage or lead. You've made all sorts of assumptions about her business experience, which all happen to be negative. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Preston Manning a school teacher before he jumped right into politics? Aren't there a lot of business people who've jumped into the political ring for many reasons...being bored I'm sure ranks right up there.

So what exactly is your point? She has just pulled off something that will be remembered for a long time in political circles. How she handles things from here is certainly going to be scrutinized. Are you disgusted that this sort of thing is allowed to happen, cause if you are then fine. But lets be honest, it's politics and this kind of shit goes on all the time.

What were your thoughts on Charest when he crossed the floor to run the Liberal party in Quebec cause that must have annoyed the shit out of you too.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Littlest Hobo
Good for Belinda. Loyalty above all, save Honour, that is a good way to live your life. And there is no honour in teaming up with treasonous bastards aka the conservative/bloc alliance.

That being said, the whole dumping of McKay does call her character into question. Love transcends politics, so I hope the timing of this is all a big coincidence. Otherwise, that's pretty opportunistic.
Ok... you know, I've actually been giving this a lot of thought, and I personally don't think it was this
blatantly shrewd, calculating move on Belinda's part at all. In fact, I think this was real gut level shit, and we (and she) still don't know how it's all going to play out ("optics" wise)...

I think this was Belinda, last weekend, seeing a confidence vote coming up next Thursday (today), that may well go the Conservative way,
where she would have no choice but to tow the Conservative policy line, and then for the next forever be stuck in an increasing far right-wing, dickhead 'boy's club' as a moderate voice (on social policy), perpetually marginalized when it comes to said social policy agendas.... and hating Stephen Harper but not really being able to do anything about it and so on and so forth..

And so she saw a future that she hated, and, deciding she would rather be over 'there' as opposed to 'here', she pinched her nose and JUMPED....

And scored a triple fucking play.

So...what? Is it a 'lack of integrity' to decide not to stick with a situation that you hate?

Is it 'whoring' to jump ship to where you perhaps should have been in the first place.

While your former party makes Machiavellian manoeuvres with the Bloc...

And the girl knows how to cut a deal. Seems like the kind of girl we want running things...

Me? I love this sort of dynamic shit. Girls got balls.

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
P.S. Now Carolyn Parrish is a whole other bag of hammers. She got kicked out of the party because they got tired of her constant shenanigans. What a suprise to see her trying to make more noise for herself. Pains in the abdomen? Ha! I doubt it.

How pathetic.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Polymorph
Ok... you know, I've actually been giving this a lot of thought, and I personally don't think it was this
blatantly shrewd, calculating move on Belinda's part at all. In fact, I think this was real gut level shit, and we (and she) still don't know how it's all going to play out ("optics" wise)...

I think this was Belinda, last weekend, seeing a confidence vote coming up next Thursday (today), that may well go the Conservative way,
where she would have no choice but to tow the Conservative policy line, and then for the next forever be stuck in an increasing far right-wing, dickhead 'boy's club' as a moderate voice (on social policy), perpetually marginalized when it comes to said social policy agendas.... and hating Stephen Harper but not really being able to do anything about it and so on and so forth..

And so she saw a future that she hated, and, deciding she would rather be over 'there' as opposed to 'here', she pinched her nose and JUMPED....

And scored a triple fucking play.

So...what? Is it a 'lack of integrity' to decide not to stick with a situation that you hate?

Is it 'whoring' to jump ship to where you perhaps should have been in the first place.

While your former party makes Machiavellian manoeuvres with the Bloc...
word. this is what i've been saying.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Er, this is my first post in this thread, perhaps even in this forum, so bare with me...

Regarding Peter McKay, god, he is being such a pussy. Right now I'm staying with my parents not too far from where Peter's family lives - his sister is actually my parents neighbor. Small world. Anyways, the press coverage on the breakup (compared to the political side of the move) down here is ridiculous. Peter gave an interview from his father's farm to the Chronicle Herald of Halifax and he was just going on about how hurt he is and so on.

and I really think for his own professional image he needs to suck it up. for one, they were only dating for several months. two, if Belinda is refusing to comment on it, why is he giving in? to get pity votes? oh, feel bad for me, my girlfriend is now a liberal and she dumped me, and I'm this cute heartbroken small town dude.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bernnie Federko
But would you hit it?
What? Belinda?

Shit, I'd like her to give me a job as her personal assistant 'intern'.

Only this time, I'd make damn sure I do the laundry!

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
Er, this is my first post in this thread, perhaps even in this forum, so bare with me...

Regarding Peter McKay, god, he is being such a pussy. Right now I'm staying with my parents not too far from where Peter's family lives - his sister is actually my parents neighbor. Small world. Anyways, the press coverage on the breakup (compared to the political side of the move) down here is ridiculous. Peter gave an interview from his father's farm to the Chronicle Herald of Halifax and he was just going on about how hurt he is and so on.

and I really think for his own professional image he needs to suck it up. for one, they were only dating for several months. two, if Belinda is refusing to comment on it, why is he giving in? to get pity votes? oh, feel bad for me, my girlfriend is now a liberal and she dumped me, and I'm this cute heartbroken small town dude.
I think it's all just impression management due to his party rather than his own sentiment. Harper committed Mckay to "being really hurt" in the initial press conference held - they didn't let Mckay talk until a day later. It's not like Mckay is going to come out with a spring in his step and make his leader look all the more out of touch with his party right after a member left.

By presenting himself as a jilted lover on behalf of the Conservative party, they make Stronach look like an overly ambitious sell out. Although it wouldn't affect the vote in the house, this might have an impact on voter sentiments in the population regardless of the way the budget vote went.

If you watched the interview with him on the CBC just now, Mckay wasn't one bit down in comparison to the sad farmer routine he was doing yesterday. (Incidentally I couldn't help but hear the song "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm okay" in my head when they took shots of Mckay digging for pataters)

On the other hand, in a similar interview Stronach's dialogue was far less stilted than it was on the day of the admission, with more salient points being made than empty and repeated references. It seems as though when she's on her heels, she keeps harping on the same language, as she did today in the house when she was asked about something relevant to her new position.

So bottom line is that I think people were merely presenting what facilitated achieving their respective goals.

deep

TRIBE Member
My favourite moment of the day was when Chuck Cadman received the standing ovation, not Carolyn Parrish, despite her sudden ovarian cyst. Her name being called right before his, the look on her face was pretty sweet.