• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Behind the Music - Studio 54

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Tired as hell last night, watchin' some TV...came across the Behind the Music on Studio 54, and some of the stuff that Steve Rubell went thru was incredible...

Studio 54 was truly the original SuperClub, and since the demise of Industry, I think it'll be a while before we see such an aura surrounding a nightclub...

Do you know anyone that has ever gone to Studio 54? Maybe your parents, aunts or uncles?

beatjunkie

TRIBE Member
I also watched last night.

I love how they mentioned that Coke wasn't addicting back then about 10 times through the documentary. Leaves you wondering what happened in the basement of the club......

Kung Po Beef

TRIBE Member
I know a couple who lived in New York at the time but they were heading to Paradise Garage every weekend, not Studio 54.

Studio 54, commercial and tacky vs Paradise Garage, the underground.

Kung Po Beef

TRIBE Member
Nightclubbing is a very one dimensional thing. Not a lot of depth or growth.

As you pointed out Dynovac, what's really changed in the past 20 years?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MC Bias

Do you know anyone that has ever gone to Studio 54? Maybe your parents, aunts or uncles?
I knew this guy and his neighbour worked there as a waitress, server or somethingl like that. Very strange wonman.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Yes, I caught most of this last night.

Studio 54 is one of my fav movies. It was cool to have some more insight as to what went on at Studio 54. Good times were definitely had there. Man, I would have loved to be a part of that club. I'd like to read the book too. I think it would be really good.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Kung Po Beef
I know a couple who lived in New York at the time but they were heading to Paradise Garage every weekend, not Studio 54.

Studio 54, commercial and tacky vs Paradise Garage, the underground.

Yeah I could totally see that, Studio 54 being all trendy and uppity, Paradise Garage being home to the 'heads and the brockin out crew.

Judging from what I have read and watched on the two places anyways.

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
From what I've read, the Garage could be just as exclusive as Studio 54. It was a private club, wasnt it? So you werent getting turned away because Steve Ruebell didnt like your boots but you might not be lucky enough to score a membership.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hal-9000
From what I've read, the Garage could be just as exclusive as Studio 54. It was a private club, wasnt it? So you werent getting turned away because Steve Ruebell didnt like your boots but you might not be lucky enough to score a membership.

You could be right, but from what I read Paradise Garage was known for the fact that blacks and whites were partying together for the first time ever, and that it was completely non-exclusive ala the early days of the rave scene.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember reading that in Klublife I believe a few years ago.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories