• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Beerlaws

Stop Bill C-10

praktik

TRIBE Member
Well lets just make sure we take baby steps, if any - who knows what insanity would be unleashed once we loosen alcohol laws, adults need bubble wrap!

And what about the children?? Won't someone please think of the children?? What kind of message is this more freely available beer sending to our young vulnerable children??

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
It's all a sham. The only beers we'll be able to pick up at Loblaws are crap from the big breweries like Molson & Labatt. You're going to see little to no shelf space devoted to all the awesome local Ont. craft breweries.

Just look at what the province is doing to one of Ontario's best breweries, Forked River;

Forked River Brewing Company :: Here's why you can't buy beer at our store

Kathryn Wynne said it was going to be 20% of shelf space devoted to local ontario craft breweries during her PSA today.

So i will remain hopeful.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Kathryn Wynne said it was going to be 20% of shelf space devoted to local ontario craft breweries during her PSA today.

So i will remain hopeful.

the 20% space will be at the Beer Store locations.

regarding electricity, Ontario remains the primary shareholder (40%) with no other party able to own more than 10%. Ontario also maintains board powers.

What concerns me is the Hydro move to privatize a portion was something the Liberal heavily rejected doing in the early 2000's when the Con's were in power. Also there are many former liberal party members involved on the private side lobbying for this, I always get concerned when party members turn lobbyists

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
regarding electricity, Ontario remains the primary shareholder (40%) with no other party able to own more than 10%. Ontario also maintains board powers.

So when the for profit shareholders want to treat the company as an investment rather than a public utility will they not vote together and outvote a 40% share regardless of the 10% ownership rule?

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Sounds like a slow process and 450 stores for the whole province doesn't sound like a lot.

The province will sell licences to 450 grocers across the province, which will essentially double the number of beer-specific retails from the current 447 Beer Stores across Ontario. These retailers will only be allowed to sell six-packs or single beers. The licences will require social responsibility training, special hours, separated closed off areas for the beer, and limit annual sales per outlet to $1 million. The licences will be phased in over time, and 150 outlets should be open by May 1, 2017.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Well lets just make sure we take baby steps, if any - who knows what insanity would be unleashed once we loosen alcohol laws, adults need bubble wrap!

And what about the children?? Won't someone please think of the children?? What kind of message is this more freely available beer sending to our young vulnerable children??
i still dont get why they wont let corner stores sell alcohol
they are allowed to sell smokes and lottery tickets now and if they sell to minors they lose their right to do so

the price is going to go up to pay for the cost of the right to sell in grocery stores and from the backlash from the beer monopoly. no matter what wynne says you know it will happen.

what a province we live in

Last edited:

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
i'm sick and fucking tired of hearing Wynne talk about social responsibility.

didn't she lock the father of her kids in the cellar and get her new partner to move into the same house ?

JamesM

TRIBE Member
She seems like a PC in liberals clothing. I vote liberal to prevent PC from selling crown assets like the 407 to install a lemonade stand.

Beer store smoke and mirrors to deflect attentions she's about to sell hydro one.

Super not cool.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
No. Typically you get what you voted for. Liberals tend to stand away from selling assets. But get themselves into other problems. But at least keep the shit which makes you money annually in tact. Mike Harris 2.0 here.

Shit like this, no point in voting anymore. But at least I can save a fucking one less block to get to the beer store. And pay more too.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
From what I've read too, 3 out of the 4 billion from the sale of hydro one is to pay its debt off before they sell it, leaves them with a few quarters left.

Atomic energy same thing if I recall. To SNC

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
No. Typically you get what you voted for.

You voted for Liberal losers, you got Liberal losers. It was pretty clear long before the election these guys were a bunch of fuck ups.

Well,technically you didn't get what you voted for, you got what you voted against. But that's the whole problem with strategic voting. Brought to you by the liberals "hey pick us, we're medium and everyone else is SPICY" Don't want to burn your mouth, better play it safe and vote for the status quo (which was TERRIBLE)

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I think the tax was a way to justify locking the prices for a few years which actually is a gift to the Beer store because if I read it right it isn't a price ceiling it is a lock meaning he market won't drive the price down when their monopoly is pulled.

Not impressed. I agree we have to start somewhere but this is weak. Not impressed.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
only allowed to sell 6 packs
cap of 1 million in sales, which lets face it can happen in one hot week during the summer

its all smoke and mirrors
they dangle something shiny to distract as they prepare for god knows what in their cap and trade scheme since there is zero info on it, not to mention the sale of a major chunk of hydro one

make no mistake, this will do relatively nothing to the beer store as everyone will still have to get the beer from them and they set the price. win for all liberal friends, lose for us yet again

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Why is it such a big deal to buy beer at the grocery store anyhow? I can't remember ever being anywhere that was terribly far from a beer store (that wasn't just as far from a grocery store)

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I usually don't go to the beer store it's 4 blocks south. Our loblaws at the subway station has an LCBO store, which is where I grab my beer. So I walk up an escalator now to blahs, and get warm beer there sitting next to the Pop, for more money.

There shutting down the LCBO there ironically to make way for a subway station elevator.

Corporations are running the government. Thanks Galen Weston. By all means why your at it keep doubling the price of all your food every 3 years.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Why is it such a big deal to buy beer at the grocery store anyhow? I can't remember ever being anywhere that was terribly far from a beer store (that wasn't just as far from a grocery store)

so true. and they cant sell beer after the the Beer Store closes. Even if it is a 24 hour grocery store...... whats the point?

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
It's all a sham. The only beers we'll be able to pick up at Loblaws are crap from the big breweries like Molson & Labatt. You're going to see little to no shelf space devoted to all the awesome local Ont. craft breweries.
False.
The Beer Store needs to increase their shelves to 20% being craft brewed.
The grocery store selections will be more in line with the LCBO options which already has a much larger percentage being independently owned brewers, which speaks to the similarities in only offering single cans/bottles and 6 packs.

re: the hours, I don't know many grocery stores open past 9pm on a weekend anyways, unless we are talking about 24 hour locations which make up a small percentage anyways.
Progress is progress, people. Celebrate every win we can get at this point.

praktik

TRIBE Member

Because 150 years ago we all started having a continent wide freakout about alcohol and became "abstinence only" for a time

THis is because alcohol and other drugs were thought to have an innate evilness about them

The control we have around alcohol today is a legacy of that mindset, and even if it just inconveniences us now (well, if our favoured drug is alcohol - other substances still carry risk of loss of freedom), the mindset is still there: Canadians still fear that a more permissive approach to alcohol is a Moral Road to Ruin, and this is why we only see baby steps happening and not a wholesale rejection of a rather antiquated way of looking at drugs, adults, and personal choice.