• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Beer

diablo

TRIBE Member
For light to moderate hangovers, it can make the difference between doing anything at all that morning or having to sleep until the PM.

diablo

TRIBE Member
OV now comes in tallcans for a very reasonable $2.00 ($7.75 for 4).

I hope to see this fine beverage make its way into some Toronto music venues.

A wonderful day for lawnmower lager afficionados in Ontario. :D

derek

TRIBE Member
when i was in my early 20s my buddies dad would only drink OV. he was trying to win a bass boat in some competition they were running.

diablo

TRIBE Member
This one is also decent (and lemon), but not quite as good as the Lowenbrau:

This one's only at the LCBO, whereas the Lowenbrau one is Beer Store only.

diablo

TRIBE Member
The Beer Store is revamping their stores, and one of the updates is getting rid of the wall with all of the beers/sizes at that location listed, and instead having a few (usually just two, actually) tablets linked to The Beer Store's website.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

It's not so bad at the larger stores that have the walk-in refrigerated section open to the public, but at smaller stores, not only can you have just two people browsing at a time, but there's no way to simply view all of the beers at that location at once (and this is assuming that both tablets are in working order).

Good job, Toronto Star letter-writers! Pissing and moaning about "outdated" stores etc, and look what you got - a nice, modern orange wall instead of something that was actually useful.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
Yeah, the Beer Store on Parliament had the tablets and its the stupidest thing. It takes so long to browse with all the swiping and such and you can't even search by beer type (like sort: IPAs vs Lagers etc). Then also think about who's grubby hands have touched that screen last. Not a great experience.

I admit, while have for the most part held strong with boycotting Beer Stores, the ones like Dufferin Mall where you can actually walk around in the chilled areas and browse is the best set up. Although LCBO seems to be stepping up their game on the chilled beer side of things, as the Royal York location just renovated to having a huge enclosed refrigerated beer section. Very impressive setup.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Good job, Toronto Star letter-writers! Pissing and moaning about "outdated" stores etc, and look what you got - a nice, modern orange wall instead of something that was actually useful.
You're laying the blame on the customers that asked for better options and not the retailer that chose a bone headed symbol of change?

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member

One of my favourite new discoveries of the summer.
Grand River Pugnacious Pale Ale is a tasty APA, perfect for patios and day time session drinking with a nice sweetness yet still slightly bitter punch to it, coming in at a tame 4.5% ABV.

Their Curmudgeon IPA on the other hand was easily forgettable.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
holy shit I never even realized that and I've drank a good 6-7 bottles of it.
I also now notice the bottle says 5.6%. Grand Rivers website says 4.5, but also shows an old (really ugly) label on the bottle.

diablo

TRIBE Member
This beer is great:

Sawdust City is probably the best new Ontario brewery, IMO. A wide variety of beers, and consistently high quality.

Three standouts:
- Little Norway Pale Lager
- Gateway Kolsch
- Skinny Dipping Stout

The brewery is in my cottage town, so I'm able to get the freshest stuff consistently. :cool:

diablo

TRIBE Member
I can't decide which magical elixir to take to the cottage this weekend.

Probably going to start with a cheap and cheerful base (Alpine and/or OV and/or Miller Lite), supplement with some Euro stuff (Karlovačko and/or Becks), add some cider for variety (Spirit Tree and/or Pommies) and perhaps visit Sawdust City while in Muskoka.