• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Been to Japan lately ?

el.em.en.o

TRIBE Member
S'up??

I'm thinking of going in July for 3wks. Does anyone have some useful info, links, suggestions etc.?? I know a lot of tribers are well travelled.
I don't really wanna do the Cancun/Dominican thing, although I'm sure its's nice. I'm looking to escape the western mind set, and temples and obscure inventions sounds interesting. I've heard a lot, but I thinks it's to actually experience it myself.

Anything to help make my decision?

Thanks.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

s1k

TRIBE Member
it's very expensive...if ur on a tight budget go to thailand instead. ur $ will take u far places...but if u got the money japan is crazy.

pb4ugo2bed

TRIBE Member
I would defintely choose Japan...was there last summer. Super fun and weird place...go to the the library and pick up a Japan Lonely plant guide...that's all you'll need to plan a trip there...and money.

el.em.en.o

TRIBE Member
well i have quite a few $1000 set aside, not including my ticket. i'll try to stay away from fine dining and expensive hotels.
i've heard about thailand too, but maybe next year.
are there any special shots or health precautions i need to take?

oh, thanks pb4ugo2bed for the suggestions, i'll check that book out.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I spend about 5k on my trip including aifare, and also spent a week in Korea. Its great, buy a japan rail pass before you leave Canada (you can't get them once in Japan) take a trip up to mt fuji.. it costs extra then the rail pass but is worth it

quantumize

TRIBE Member
i would go on a cheap ass vacation and use the money for other things, you can use a nice car daily but when the trip is over all you have is memories...

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
From my understanding of Japanese culture, you can't walk anywhere in the city without being raped at least once by tentacle monsters and Godzilla.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
quantumize said:
i would go on a cheap ass vacation and use the money for other things, you can use a nice car daily but when the trip is over all you have is memories...

it depends what you value more.. experience or material goods.

Mos def go to Japan. Cars are overated.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
or you could go on a lesser vacation and invest some of the money..... i dunno i just couldn't spend that kind of money on a trip

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
quantumize said:
or you could go on a lesser vacation and invest some of the money..... i dunno i just couldn't spend that kind of money on a trip

and that's why you'll remain naive and sheltered :p

tella

TRIBE Member
quantumize said:

but if you have the money, why not?

bits, if that's you, i had the strangest dream about you the other day! (p.s this is natalie)

el.em.en.o

TRIBE Member
thanks guys!

i've totally thought that same thing over for awhile. it was a hard decision to make, but then not really. it is the experience i'm looking for, i've been saving for many years, and won't be hurt by this trip.
having said that, does any have any other links or anything i can use for information??

zoo

TRIBE Member
this thread really brought out the 'never posts anymore' crew

tella, pb4ugo2bed, trinitydub, el.em.en.o

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I just spent 3 weeks travelling around Japan with my parents. If temples, shrines, natural phenomena, and some of the more obscure sights are what you want, I can give you good advice since i just freshly planned it all. It doesn't have to cost a fortune. In fact, in many ways, if you are travelling alone, it can be quite cheap (nice accodation costs can be bought 'per person' for about $40 in most places, contrary to what the lonely planet book says) Anyhoo i posted some pics in the pic thread recently and when I get back from my gruelling salaryman routine i will check if i still have internet and try to post something.

-jM
A&D

newstyle666

TRIBE Member
Japan is truly great. I have travelled to many places in the world but none I consiter as dear as Japan. Make sure you spend a few days, if not a few weeks in Tokyo. Possibly the world's greatest city imo... but other areas of Japan are also nice. Kyoto comes to mind.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Koyasan in Wakayama prefecture is an excellent place to take in old world Japanese culture in a relatively relaxed, uncrowded place. It is the birthplace of Shinto (Japanese style) Budhism. The pagodas and cemetery are something to see for sure. Nachi falls is also relatively closeby which is situated in a primeval forest, something extremely rare in Japan. Shirahama is closeby and although it is somewhat touristy (with Japanese tourists, that is), it does have many of the most famous onsens in Japan, including an open air one which empties into the ocean. Nara and Kyoto are also close making this one of the most interesting and convenient areas of Japan for sightseeing.

I wouldn't spend much time in Tokyo or Osaka or whatever. Japanese cities are notoriously ugly -- just mile after mile of concrete crap. Of course, there are the odd architecturally interesting building interspersed but, unless you have some particular interest in some particular architect, there isn't much reason to give buildings more than a glancing "oh that building looks cool..."
Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya; these cities are so big that you could literally spend years there trying out all the places. But, after a bit of a dabbling, I think it can be said that the 'types' of places you find tend to repeat themself. Cases of 'same shit different pile'. If you're in Japan for 3 weeks or less, don't spend more than a few days in Tokyo, it would be time largely wasted considering the diversity that there is to be had elsewhere. Moreover I could say that Tokyo/Osaka or any big Japanese city are more or less the same in the short term.

ok im gonna be late for work. again.

-jM
A&D

newstyle666

TRIBE Member
Jeffsus said:
Koyasan in Wakayama prefecture is an excellent place to take in old world Japanese culture in a relatively relaxed, uncrowded place. It is the birthplace of Shinto (Japanese style) Budhism. The pagodas and cemetery are something to see for sure. Nachi falls is also relatively closeby which is situated in a primeval forest, something extremely rare in Japan. Shirahama is closeby and although it is somewhat touristy (with Japanese tourists, that is), it does have many of the most famous onsens in Japan, including an open air one which empties into the ocean. Nara and Kyoto are also close making this one of the most interesting and convenient areas of Japan for sightseeing.

I wouldn't spend much time in Tokyo or Osaka or whatever. Japanese cities are notoriously ugly -- just mile after mile of concrete crap. Of course, there are the odd architecturally interesting building interspersed but, unless you have some particular interest in some particular architect, there isn't much reason to give buildings more than a glancing "oh that building looks cool..."
Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya; these cities are so big that you could literally spend years there trying out all the places. But, after a bit of a dabbling, I think it can be said that the 'types' of places you find tend to repeat themself. Cases of 'same shit different pile'. If you're in Japan for 3 weeks or less, don't spend more than a few days in Tokyo, it would be time largely wasted considering the diversity that there is to be had elsewhere. Moreover I could say that Tokyo/Osaka or any big Japanese city are more or less the same in the short term.

ok im gonna be late for work. again.

-jM
A&D

I highly disagree with this. I have visited numerous areas of Japan - but my favourite prefectures are BY FAR all within greater Tokyo. It has the best of both worlds... ultra modern and bizarre technology, buildings and architecture contrasted with beautiful parks {Ueno} and lots of old-world temples. Wandering around in any downtown section, from Ikebukuro to Ginza to Akihabara or Shinjuku is a highly satisfying experience. In a single evening, I stumbled across intravenously fed plants [using human intravenous drips] for sale, insane arcades, automated fast-food, a gigantic anime museum complete with full-size moving robots everywhere, bubble foam bath whore houses and about a million tiny little Miso-Ramen shops with the best food imaginable. Everyday is a new experience. The girls are extremely sexy and picking them up is about as easy as saying "kombawa".

el.em.en.o

TRIBE Member
so its definate.
i'm heading to japan on july 12th with two buddies. we'll be landing in tokyo, staying there for a few days then to dewa sanzan in the yamagata prefecture to explore the 3 mountains for a while, after we head along the coast to matsushima, then back to tokyo. thats the first week.
from tokyo we're going to osaka and anywhere in between we can for the next 2 weeks. probably nagoya, ise, kyoto, and hopefully wakayama.
it should be an experience. thanks to everyone or their input.
if you have anything to add, feel free.

saf.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
newstyle666 said:
I highly disagree with this. But my favourite prefectures are BY FAR all within greater Tokyo. Wandering around in any downtown section, from Ikebukuro to Ginza to Akihabara or Shinjuku is a highly satisfying experience.

Well, basically what you're saying, is you love Tokyo. Which is understandable, it's a fascinating city. But Tokyo is its own monster, and in lots of ways is totally different than "Japan". If someone said "I've been everywhere in Canada, from mississauga to whitby. Basically all the best places in Canada are within the greater Toronto Area. From bathhurst to parliament to king street, I saw some really crazy stuff. I hear the Rockies are all right too."

Granted, I've thoroughly enjoyed myself in Tokyo, and I certainly recommend it to anyone, I still stand by my previous statement that it would be a waste of time to spend too long there. It's just not indicative of real Japanese culture. If I had to choose the "heart" of Japan, I would say its the Higashiyama area of Kyoto. Tokyo is just a bizarre urban megapolis.

Where do the Japanese go when they have holidays? Certainly not Tokyo.

Anyways, el.em.en.o your itinerary sounds great to me and I think you will get an excellent cross section and experience. When will you be in Nagoya? Maybe we can meet up for a night out somewhere.

-jM
A&D

Last edited: