• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Bedrock Black

RyanMarcus

TRIBE Member
I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on this label. I just got the promo for Black04 (by Shmoo), and I actually like this one (at least to the extent where I'm not going to relegate it to the back of the box a few days after buying it). But the first three have been rather disappointing IMO. Good mind you, but not as interesting as I would prefer. Maybe this is just a reflection of my personal preference, and maybe I'm not the only one who thinks this -- any comments?

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Cameron

TRIBE Member
I actually really like Bedrock Black, it has been better than Bedrock lately, that's for sure (except for new tigerhook). I've got OBA - Noah's Arc, and have yet to pick up my copy of Jondi & Spesh - Mysteries of the Giant Squid, but I think both are top notch and I really like what they're doing with the spinoff label.

Then again the direction of the label fits perfectly with most of my other 'A' records.

RyanMarcus

TRIBE Member
See, I've really been a fan of the last couple of Bedrock releases (LoseControl and Rumblefish -- Waxxx was good too...), and I'm a big fan of the new Tigerhook too, but Black, at least until this new release, hasn't been doing it for me (I didn't even buy the Jondi and Spesh because I was so fed up with the first two releases). And I do play, usually, a very dark proggish sound.

Hmmm... I guess it's just a matter of preference more than anything else then. There are people who like Black, and there is a reason for all the hype surrounding these productions (apart from the label being an offshoot of Bedrock, which no doubt compounds all the hype). Anyone else?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Based upon what I've heard on Black, I can't say I'm impressed. I find the stuff to be just more dark and bland prog.

Much the same can be said for Bedrock itself. I brought this up a little while ago on this here board, but personally, I don't have a lot of Bedrock releases in my box. They just don't do it for me for the most part. I find it too generic sounding and very bland.

Cheers,
Jay K.

RyanMarcus

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by loopdokter
Based upon what I've heard on Black, I can't say I'm impressed. I find the stuff to be just more dark and bland prog.

Much the same can be said for Bedrock itself. I brought this up a little while ago on this here board, but personally, I don't have a lot of Bedrock releases in my box. They just don't do it for me for the most part. I find it too generic sounding and very bland.

Cheers,
Jay K.

I agree with your opinion on Black, it has seemed quite bland up until this new release by Shmoo, which I like quite a bit.

As far as Bedrock is concerned, I think they have, and continue to, push the boundaries of progressive, and I almost always find them appealing (minus the odd release like last summer's Ahern or whatever it was called, which was by Pako&Fredrick, that one was a massive stinker). That all said, Bedrock does not release tracks that really have the kind of energy level I'm often looking for -- it is more 'mid-set' material IMO. Perhaps this could even be a sort of reflection on Diggers, in that (as some people say) he often puts together sets that are gorgeous and artistic, while being stuck in third gear at the same time. As such, I can understand how people would consider many of the Bedrock releases somewhat boring.

Again though, I do like the new release on Black. Thanks for your insight guys...

LukeF

TRIBE Member
I thought Rumblefish was excellent (vocal mix)...one of the most unique tracks I've heard in a while. People will be changing their tune to Bedrock in the next few months with the amazing Flash record coming out (Chilling Moments), Walking On Fire, Tigerhook, as well as Lawler's RIse In follow up.

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
luke, forgive me if this isn't public knowledge, but my friend bryan was speaking with the guys at release & apparently you have a track coming out on bedrock in the near future...just curious as to the details if possible?? congrats as always on the incredible success!!!

merci & see you around... :)

john

LukeF

TRIBE Member
hahahaah

Tigerhook is #32...I'm #36...probably another two months I'd say...mind you, I've been saying "another two months" for the past year.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

RyanMarcus

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by LukeF
I thought Rumblefish was excellent (vocal mix)...one of the most unique tracks I've heard in a while.

I definitely agree with this. Rumblefish might even top my list of all-time faves. As far as I know, Bedrock tends to release a new track every month or so. That has been their pace (roughly) for the last year or so. I think Evolution's "Walking on Fire" is next up, with a promo release around mid-May. So, provided this pace continues, Critikal (Luke's track, unless I'm mistaken) will have a promo run kickin' around come the end of August. That's my guess anyway, based on the fact that Critikal is #36, and provided #33 through #36 are released in order (which is not always the case either... Regardless, I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy, Luke. Congrats for getting signed to Bedrock.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Luke's stuff rocks. I still cane the cheeky bootleg he did of U2. I played it at Element at an afterparty a while back and Ian Ossia was asking me for my copy. I kindly refused. ;)

As for 'Rumblefish', I can't say I was impressed with that track either. I listened to it over and over because I've heard loads of people say how good it was and it just didn't fit for me.

Mind you, I have a weird sort of style and I'm extremely picky about what records I buy. Bedrock only has a few tunes that I dig, and that's like 4 records. Not a very high ratio for a label with such a high profile. Personally, I think most of their output has been 'bog standard prog' that so many people who don't like prog house complain about. The production is always slick but it never seems to take off or funk along.

Now watch I end up getting a record signed to Bedrock and will have to recant on all of this, knowing my luck! <smirk>

Cheers,
Jay K.

RyanMarcus

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by loopdokter
Luke's stuff rocks. I still cane the cheeky bootleg he did of U2. I played it at Element at an afterparty a while back and Ian Ossia was asking me for my copy. I kindly refused. ;)

Agreed, I love the rhythm of this one -- it's so funky. I still play it from time to time as well.

As for 'Rumblefish', I can't say I was impressed with that track either. I listened to it over and over because I've heard loads of people say how good it was and it just didn't fit for me.

This is a funny comment -- when you were skipping through one of my copies in your studio, you said you liked it quite a bit. You weren't just being nice, were you Jay?
<insert winking smiley here>

As for your comment regarding Bedrock tracks being the kind of stuff that 'non-prog fans' find rather boring and such, I'm inclined to agree with you. But as far as I'm concerned, fuck 'em. If I like it, I will play it, and that's the bottom line.
<insert smiley with ear-to-ear grin here>

Enjoy your new job this week -- I'm startin' one too... Woohoo!

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Rumblefish schmumblefish!

That's odd about Rumblefish because a couple of days later I went down to Speed to pick up some tunes and Chad had it in. I must have listened to it 5 times. I shall have to listen to your copy again.

Besides, EVERYTHING sounds better in *my* studio! <smirk>

The new job is just a way to fund more gear.

Cheers,
Jay K.