1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Bedbugs shut Hollister store

Discussion in 'Health Forum' started by alexd, Jul 2, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Bedbug experts combed through popular SoHo spot Hollister yesterday trying to fight an infestation that has shuttered the store for two days.

Shoppers have been locked out of the teen destination for jeans and casual duds since Wednesday, when parent company Abercrombie & Fitch learned of the embarrassing problem.

"We caught it very early in the stages of detection," said an Abercrombie & Fitch source. "We are investigating whether this was a selling-floor issue or a back-room issue. We are continuing testing."

Spokesman Eric Cerny said it is still unknown when the 40,000-square-foot Broadway store - the biggest Hollister in the country - will reopen.

The company plans to release an updated time frame later today.

A sign on Hollister's front doors reads, "We will reopen soon" - confusing shoppers coming from as far away as Australia.

"Gross," said 17-year-old Tampa visitor Brooke McKinney. "It makes me queasy."

Bedbugs are becoming a more common problem in New York, but city officials were unsure if there had been a previous infestation in a retail shop.

The creepy crawlies are most often found in mattresses and clothes inside private homes - not on sales racks, said a Department of Health spokesperson.

Victor Nechay, 28, whose family owns Angela's Vintage Boutique in the east Village, said stores should follow their lead and steam-clean clothes before putting them up for sale. "People buy stuff and return it," he said. "You don't know what they have in their house. The nicest people can be slobs."

Back in SoHo, Brooklynite Stanley Carlton, 18, showed up at Hollister only to discover that one of his favorite stores was closed. "I can't believe a big store like that has bedbugs," Carlton said.

His mother, Kye Morrison, ordered him to inspect Hollister T-shirts he bought recently.

"You made me waste my money," she told her son.

"We are going to Old Navy," Morrison said.

simonew@nydailynews.com

Read more: Bedbugs shut Hollister store in SoHo

2. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

Unfortunately, that has nothing to do with it. They go after anything with blood. You're the bed bugs dinner, not the pile of clothes you leave by your bed. They've been found in ritzy hotels, bus benches, air plane seats, etc.

I'd love to move to a high rise apartment building, but the bed bug problem in this city scares me. Even if you don't bring them in, they can travel through walls using electrical outlets, pipes, and cracks.

3. dstarr

dstarr TRIBE Member

This is a serious problem these days. There is a website where you can look up reported incidents.

Bedbug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

When I lived in Vancouver, I was shocked to find some incidents in the building right down the street from mine.

This is also why you can't pick up furniture off the sidewalks anymore....

4. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

This fills me with glee, the association of Hollister with bedbugs

Think they might actually turn on the lights in the stores now--if only to find the critters? :rolleyes:

5. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

there was a story on de news the other day about bedbugs in an appt complex.

in Toronto.

What I didn't know is when you smack them it's blood everywhere. gross.

I don't know what this means. that bedbugs and black flies are the same. equally gross.

6. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

I hope this was a case of corporate sabotage. It's already 2010 and I don't see my cyberpunk dystopia anywhere.