• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

becoming vegetarian

Aphrodite

TRIBE Member
last night my eyes were opened to a lot of things. we were on queen outside of Steve's and these two women were handing out flyers. as we approciated I thought 'dear lord I don't want a flyer' but then I caught a glimps of this television showing footage of canadian sluahterhouses.

I stopped to watch and was completely horrified at what I saw.

pigs living they're lives in a cage roughly 6 inches bigger then themselves
cows being hung by one leg for a LONG period of time
cows having their horns cut off without anasthetic (unfortunitly they cut too close, resulting in blood gushing everywhere)
cows being branded in the face without anasthetic (the cows screamed in pain, obviously)
dead cows lying dead amoungst live cows
a human being stomping (trying to kill) a baby pig
a humn cutting a baby pig's teeth off without anasthetic

and there was a lot more then that. I don't expect someone who didn't see that footage to fully understand the horrors and cruelty to which these animals were treated.

I myself cannot be responsible for animals being treated that way. so, I'm going to become a vegatarian.

I don't want to.. I love meat. but I love the innocence of animals more. if we treat animals like that I really don't understand how we can treat eachother any better.

if any of you have any tips on diet and staying healthy, getting enough protein, calcium (and filling my tummy!) I'd love to get you input.

any veggietarians out there!??

I would also like more reading material about the crulty of animals and the raising of our cows, pigs, chickens etc...

god.. those poor creatures!!!!

Last edited:

aCro`

TRIBE Member
People will use anything to get people to follow them. What they showed you are the most brutal possible clips they could find. If they showed you free-range cattle would you still consider becoming vegetarian? There are regulations and whatnot against animal cruelty.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Adam

TRIBE Member
My favorite book is called 'The Vegetarian Way' by Virginia & Mark Messina. It ranges from ethics to recipes to nutrition.

A few Tribers have recommended "Diet For A New America" by John Robbins. Self-help-book-title aside, it's pretty informative, and will do nothing but further your motivation to stop eating meat.

Trust me: It's easy. I could barely cook Kraft Dinner before I was a vegetarian, and I've found it easy to convert..plus, I'm a much better cook now. :)

Good luck!

mcbee

TRIBE Member
shannon,

i'm not a vegetarian but eat veggie alot. plus a close friend is a vegan so she spouts off to me lots!

check out a cookbook called "the Moosewood Cookbook"...recipes from a vegetarian restaurant. so yummy.

all types of beans and legumes are your friend. do your research before becoming totally vegatarian...you need to take care of your body's iron levels and get enough protein.

maybe start slow and just lessen the meat in your diet. me, i probably have meat once or twice a week. the rest of the week...lots of pasta, vegetarian chili, mexican dishes, soups etc....

try this
yummy recipes

:)sarah

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
^Yes, excellent cookbook

Animals suffer incredible pain in slotter houses. It is all very true what Aphrodite is talking about. I find it very hard to think about. It is a very personal choice to eat meat or not to eat meat. I have been a vegetarian for 10 years, and will never eat meat so long as I live...but that is just my personal choice. I really enjoy being a vegetarian, but it is not for everyone.

Maxine

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
Shannon... I've cut out all meat except fish... ive been hooked on Ives "round ground" ...it looks like ground beef but its 100% soy... i use in it spaghetti sauces and tacos...MMmmm!!! :D

Another great soup is Amy's No chicken noodle soup, u can get it from the organic section at Dominion.

~Lori

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by geminigirl
^I love that round ground...so yummy in pasta sauce...mmmmm!
it is.... :D
or add some taco seasoning to it and put it over top of nacho shells, lettuce, tomatoes and cheese!!! *drool*

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Everything dies. Animals don't die in old-age homes, surrounded by their loved ones. Some are eaten by other animals, others die of disease, some starve to death etc. Some die incredibly stupidly, like running into traffic. I look upon it as recycling. I don't like suffering, as much of our meat comes from animals who roam the earth to their content (my gf's farm), then get shipped to the killing floor (elsewhere). I think we have some pictures of us posing with dinner.

Besides, as an amateur chef and professional carnivore, there is only so much you can do with vegetables and beans.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Aphrodite
if we treat animals like that I really don't understand how we can treat eachother any better
Humans are animals.

I know everyone 'knows' this, but time and again I read (even from Health Canada), a phrase such as "not sourced from animals or humans".

That we treat other animals as badly we treat ourselves should really come as no surprise. Hell, we treat other animals BETTER than we treat our own -- people feel bad for the dog that a homeless person has as a companion, not for the person. We feel bad for cows going to slaughter, while complaining that Canada isn't sending enough soldiers to go die. Shit, the cow at least gets eaten--serves a purpose--when it dies. So, which is more stupid? The cow, or the human? Quite obviously the human, since it actually chooses to die.

All living things on the planet are connected. Each and every one is a relative. Even plants. So before you start crying about cruelty to living things, be sure to understand the hypocrisy you are engaging in. And don't get suckered by the propaganda-- it is not cost-effective to do cruel things to animals on a farm, i.e. dead cows amongst live ones? Doesn't make sense to do this... think about it. Or a cow being hung by one leg? No... cortisol gets released, and the cow ends up tasting bad-- torturing cows before killing them is bad for profit, and that's what farms are for. They aren't bastions of cruelty. How ridiculous.

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
I've followed a mainly vegetarian diet my entire life.
I eat dairy, eggs, and occasional fish/seafood.

It's really not hard and it is becoming easier as more and more meat-free products hit the mainstream market. For example, when I was a kid, I used to have to take a frozen veggie burger to school in a cooler on BBQ day but these days they're everywhere.

Maple Leaf recently launched a new line of meatless frozen meals called Nature's Gourmet. I found out about them maybe a week after I'd been lamenting the lack of vegetarian "convenience foods" at a decent price. I'm generally not a huge fan of "fake meat" products, but these are pretty tasty and not as expensive as other frozen vegetarian meals.

The Moosewood cookbooks are great. Try browsing vegetarian/vegan cookbooks at your local library (Dewey 631.26, 641.5636) or Chapters for ideas of things you could make, etc. Someone at work said to me the other day, "You have the most interesting lunches. What else do you eat?" and I had the hardest time trying to think of what I eat because there are so many different things.

aCro`

TRIBE Member
I dont understand vegetarianism... i'm not ragging on anyone who is one, but me personally, i cannot understand it. It is not unnatural to eat other creatures. My philosophy is if other animals do it then it's ok. I am however against veal. That shit is unnatural.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by aCro`
but me personally, i cannot understand it. It is not unnatural to eat other creatures.
Youre right, you don't understand vegetarians. Vegetarians and their reasons for being such vary quite alot.

I would think that most vegetarians either don't eat meat because of two main reasons - the way animals are treated before being slaughtered or because they believe that eating meat is unhealthy (due to growth hormones and stuff being given to animals). Very few think actually that is is "unnatural" to eat animals.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Shannon, do you take Tylenol or drive on/use roads? Parts of cows are used in both of these as well... going to stop driving any time soon?

I understand going veggie if it's a personal taste issue... but for cruelty to animals? silly.

Postmod speaks the truth about cruelty... it costs them money... doesn't make sense.... why hurt your own business unnecessarily?

Bumbaclat

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Aphrodite, PM Ditto Much, from what I remember his family used to own & operate a chicken ranch, he'll have some unbias stories.

This is propiganda as in yes it's material used to sway people to become vegitarian for moral reasons. But just because it's propiganda doesnt mean it's not true.

Besides there are a million other reasons to explore a vegitarian diet.

I just got similar untruthful propiganda from the other end today in the form of a personal email where the writer attributed her multiple tumors & thyroid cancer to years of eating SOYA.
Google+10 seconds later provided me with a link that exposed it as a hoax.

I looked at the huge forwarded list and wondered why people would A) start such a letter B)beleive it to the point to FWD it? Do people feel so threatened by a vegitatian lifestyle that they are willing to accept anything that bashes it, or dispel any benifits as being mere 'propiganda'? Or is it people are willing to perpetuate the mentality of "everything you eat is bad for you" so that they don't have to personally feel bad about not exploring a healthier lifestyle?

I guess it's becoming obvious that the environmental, moral, and health aspects of vegitarianism are so blatantly superior that I can see why it would feel threatening to those that arent vegitarians or a derrivative of.

aCro`

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by basic

Youre right, you don't understand vegetarians. Vegetarians and their reasons for being such vary quite alot.

I would think that most vegetarians either don't eat meat because of two main reasons - the way animals are treated before being slaughtered or because they believe that eating meat is unhealthy (due to growth hormones and stuff being given to animals). Very few think actually that is is "unnatural" to eat animals.

The animals are not treated that badly. Food is given to them in abundance; they can just sit around or do whatever they want all day; they got lots of companions to socialize with etc etc etc. :p

ps.: http://www.wildlifedamagecontrol.com/animalrights/leastharm.htm

phree

TRIBE Member
I think the word propaganda is being used a little bit lightly by some people...I always thought it meant biased information? I don't understand how information explaining how some animals are treated before they are consumed by humans is propaganda. It seems like a nice little statement that easily dismisses the arguments being made without any thought into the issue. I guess it is easier to call it propaganda than it is to view the material and try and come up with a valid defense of this sort of treatment.

I am obviously biased on this issue since I don't believe we need to eat animals. I stopped eating meat a number of years ago and have felt heathier ever since. I realize it isn't for everyone but it can be a great change if you do it right.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories