• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Beatmatching?

ghaleon

TRIBE Member
I was just wondering..... How many of you out there use ONLY the pitch control to perfect beatmatching? I've been experimenting with this lately, and I've been getting alot better at it.

It seems to be most useful for making adjustments to a tune that has alot of high frequencies present, like a loud hi hat, or a piano, etc etc....becuase you all know that in this situation, making adjustments with the platter tends to stand out like a sore thumb.

Comments? Suggestions? Advice?

technics1200

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
I sugguest if you're gonna beat match before you toss it in to match drums to drums. As for fine adjustments when you hear the mix starting to slip wait for the first hit in the bar to hit then make the adjustment. Also Ghaleon trainwrecks almost as often as basketball jones. & that my friends is alot.:D

KlassiK

TRIBE Member
unique2100 said:
Also Ghaleon trainwrecks almost as often as basketball jones. & that my friends is alot.:D
ouch, thats why i ride the subway :D

I find that jungle is sometimes picky when matching. You gotta be pretty tight, especially on compilation records with little room for the press.

Breaks and house i stricly use the pitch, but i still mess with the plater on dnb. Usually cuz i set up the pitch properly but i released it fucked and want it to roll on the 32 bar count.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
when I'm first matching the tune I want to bring in to the tune that's playing I use a combination of pitch control/toching vinyl/platter because I can match it up way quicker than with pitch-control-only.

Once I'v cued up the record and dropped it into the mix I generally use only the pitch control if it needs a little adjusting. Nothing is worse in a mix then hearing warped strings or vocals from pushing the record to speed it up! Although, that said, if a mix was way off and I wanted to fix it really quick I guess I might touch the record.

Learning to use only the pitch-control to make adjustments took me a little while but once I got the hang of it it allowed me to mix much smoother.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
In a perfect world, all beat matching should be done with the pitch shifter. I find this much easier to do in house music, but respect to any dnb DJ who does it.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
never try and catch up to the beat by pushing the record forward!!! because the amount of force varies dramatically from record to record. If you're gonna try and catch up spin the knob thing that goes through the record hole. Ya that's not the technical term big woop wanna fight about it?:)

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
JEMZ said:
In a perfect world, all beat matching should be done with the pitch shifter. I find this much easier to do in house music, but respect to any dnb DJ who does it.
Beat matching should be done however you can most effectivly do it. There is no standard there is however plenty of things to avoid.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
No there is no standard, however slowing a record down with your hand, while effective, is not a clean as sliding the pitch shifter.

KlassiK

TRIBE Member
unique2100 said:
Beat matching should be done however you can most effectivly do it. There is no standard there is however plenty of things to avoid.
worse case scenario when pushin the vinyl with your finger is when the hole for the platter pin is uneven and the needle jumps on the record.

:rolleyes:

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
if i need to speed a record up, i just barely touch the record and do quick circles with my finger, the friction speeds it up just slightly then i adjust the pitch accordingly

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
KlassiK said:
worse case scenario when pushin the vinyl with your finger is when the hole for the platter pin is uneven and the needle jumps on the record.

:rolleyes:
Why you rolling your eyes? If you were playing out somewhere or recording your set and you were mid mix and did that that's a pretty bad fuck up that's sure to be noticed.

ghaleon

TRIBE Member
jocelyn dee said:
when I'm first matching the tune I want to bring in to the tune that's playing I use a combination of pitch control/toching vinyl/platter because I can match it up way quicker than with pitch-control-only.

Once I'v cued up the record and dropped it into the mix I generally use only the pitch control if it needs a little adjusting. Nothing is worse in a mix then hearing warped strings or vocals from pushing the record to speed it up! Although, that said, if a mix was way off and I wanted to fix it really quick I guess I might touch the record.

Learning to use only the pitch-control to make adjustments took me a little while but once I got the hang of it it allowed me to mix much smoother.
Ya, this is where I want to be in regards to beatmatching

ghaleon

TRIBE Member
unique2100 said:
never try and catch up to the beat by pushing the record forward!!! because the amount of force varies dramatically from record to record. If you're gonna try and catch up spin the knob thing that goes through the record hole. Ya that's not the technical term big woop wanna fight about it?:)
Yea, this is usually how I manipulate the speed of the record while it's mid mix. The spindle works well, except when you have greasey hands, or the spindle is greasy. I'll also touch the side of the platter if I want to brake it alot.

Using these methods is OK if there is a silence in the records, or if it dosent have alot of highs....B/c that's when you are going to notice any platter or record manipuation the most.

KlassiK

TRIBE Member
unique2100 said:
Why you rolling your eyes? If you were playing out somewhere or recording your set and you were mid mix and did that that's a pretty bad fuck up that's sure to be noticed.
thats the point.. dont do it... just a bad habit for me when im lazy and just fuckin around.

but i also find diffrent turntables to have their quirks.. i luv my mk3d's. the ol mk2 my boy has i find his pitch is too stiff for my liking.. meh.. to each there own.

i also played on old vestaxs and the pitch was like vasoline on a stick.. too much glide.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
KlassiK said:
thats the point.. dont do it... just a bad habit for me when im lazy and just fuckin around.

but i also find diffrent turntables to have their quirks.. i luv my mk3d's. the ol mk2 my boy has i find his pitch is too stiff for my liking.. meh.. to each there own.

i also played on old vestaxs and the pitch was like vasoline on a stick.. too much glide.
AHHH I thought you were eye rolling me.:)

KlassiK

TRIBE Member
Dirty Girl said:
^^
i miss you baby!!!:D
I miss sexy lil jungle boys too!

beat this bitches!!

you want it to the 32, or is it an ol ragga tune that changes like the weather.
or some clicky-psy-house that i can never know when i changes cuz it all sounds like a can full of nails. ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

KlassiK

TRIBE Member
Sal De Ban said:

no way.. black crack 4 life. or atleast Serato/Final Scratch.

I sill dont like cd-j's.

I have faith that Rane or Stanton will perfect their tech. in time for me.

ghaleon

TRIBE Member
I've never used a cd-j either, and they arent really that appealing

especially considering how a CD sounds compared to vinyl

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
I haven't used the CDJ's either. I am, however, strongly considering getting Tracktor with Final Scratch. I too don't want to lose that vinyl feel. It would also be a lot easier on the wallet.

As for beatmatching, I ride the pitch as much as possible, although I do have the old habit of using the platter, which is tough to break.

Dan