• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Beatles VS Jay-Z

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Sorry if this has been posted already.

Well funny that the Beatles have been a hot topic the last few days.
Introducing the Grey Album.

JAY-Z's 'BLACK ALBUM' has been mixed with THE BEATLES, 'THE WHITE ALBUM' to create the 'art project/experiment' 'THE GREY ALBUM'.

DJ and producer Danger Mouse has taken the full vocal content of 'The Black Album' and recorded over new beats and production made using the Fab Four's legendary 'White Album' from 1968.

Danger Mouse claims that he can explain and prove that all of the music on 'The Grey Album' can be traced back to 'The White Album' and its content via sampling.

'The Grey Album' will be available through hip-hop record stores and via the Internet in early March 2004

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I'm not going to judge. I'm not going to judge. I'm not going to judge...

..zzz..z.z

rg
g
sg
sd

gs
hg
hghhhgazahhh...
s\zz.

.*#

#d
d
d
d

hh

*implodes*

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

bitchass

TRIBE Member
i grabbed it a week or so ago and really enjoy it myself. its not like the accapellas are dropped straight overtop of beatles tracks - its all loops and mixes of tracks. i find it to be smoother than normal jayz tracks and think its more than just a gimmick - its pretty good!

and, the remixes were done by danger mouse not jay-z

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I don't see what the big deal is, as far as being pissed off about it.

It's not like its a bunch of mashups or jay-z rhyming over the song. It's much more subtley done than that, from what I can tell. I think the concept is really neat, and I can't wait to hear it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

AVE

TRIBE Member
well, the big deal is that EMI has not allowed the use of the White Album for this project. Even though Danger Mouse has created something out of the white album(instead of just layering), the bigshots aren't impressed.

but they should be :)
p.s. for those who can't wait until Tuesday http://www.illegal-art.org/audio/grey.html

feisty boy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bitchass
i grabbed it a week or so ago and really enjoy it myself. its not like the accapellas are dropped straight overtop of beatles tracks - its all loops and mixes of tracks. i find it to be smoother than normal jayz tracks and think its more than just a gimmick - its pretty good!

and, the remixes were done by danger mouse not jay-z
i grabbed it out of curiosity (not that i even listen to Jay-z in the first place). but like bitchass said, it's an interesting listen. The beatles tracks were just the base for samples and loops, and it makes for some unique mellow foundations.

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
got this about a week ago, i am really feeling it.

I like what dangermouse has done. Hopefully it doesn't cost him legal problems.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AVE
well, the big deal is that EMI has not allowed the use of the White Album for this project. Even though Danger Mouse has created something out of the white album(instead of just layering), the bigshots aren't impressed.
No I got that legal aspect.

I'm talking to people in the thread who are pissed about keeping touching Beatles songs.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Okay, I LOVE the looping. I love the remixing.

But someone fucking shut Jay-Z up. I wish he produced it but had a guest vocal for each one like Missy, The Roots, JT, Lil' Kim etc etc etc...

I have to get my hands on an instrumental version of this album. YUCK.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
And the beats work so well.

TO THOSE FUCKERS WHO LOOKED AT ME FUNNY WHEN I SAID "THE BEATLES INFLUENCED HIP-HOP big-time" in highschool, in your face, ya idiots.

AVE

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo

But someone fucking shut Jay-Z up. I wish he produced it but had a guest vocal for each one like Missy, The Roots, JT, Lil' Kim etc etc etc...
you wish Jay-Z produced it?

and it would be pretty dumb to have guest vocals on this considering the whole point of the project is bringing the Black album and White album together.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AVE
you wish Jay-Z produced it?

Yah, at first I didn't read the thread properly (surprise, surprise) and thought this was a Jay-Z and Dangerous collaboration. But now I know it's just the Black Album (didn't know that was a Jay-Z album since I avoid his shit like the plague) mixed with the White Album with Dangerous' loops.

Got it.

And yeah, I think Jay-Z produces some good tracks, I just hate his voice. It would've been nice to have a White Album remixed by all kinds of hip-hop people produced by someone like Jay-Z or even Timbaland. Sounds hokey but if it sounded anything like this but with better production value, it could be pretty cool.

Anyway, sorry, I'm going off-topic.

Track 10's got a Madonna sample as well of Justify My Love. Neat.

beta-vhs

TRIBE Member
It's all about trying to find a way out of the tunnel of BLACK by contemplating the W H I T E.

But the danger for Ms. Mouse is falling off the yin yang and getting stuck in GREY...

Drat, yet again!