• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Beaches music venue gets the approved - EDM coming to Beaches/Leslieville

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Beaches music venue gets the go-ahead

By Linda Ward, CBC News Posted: Jul 28, 2016 10:48 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 28, 2016 10:48 AM ET

The city has approved an application for a proposed performance venue, at the site of the existing Champions Greenwood not far from Woodbine Park that could fit some 2,700 fans and host 150 shows per year.

A proposal to turn part of an off-track betting shop in the Beaches into a live performance venue has been approved by the city.

New Beach-area concert venue could 'liven up the East End,' local councillor says

The venue, Champions Greenwood off-track betting shop at Queen Street East and Kingston Road, not far from Woodbine Park, means some big acts could make their way to the Beaches.

The city has approved the re-zoning of the site, which would allow the venue to go-ahead once the site plan is approved and a building permit is issued.

The proposal for the venue includes 150 shows per year, with space for 2,700 fans.

Local councillor Mary-Margaret McMahon told CBC in a statement, "I am super excited about hosting a Massey Hall type music venue in the Beach! Finally some year round FUN in the east end! Good for our musicians. Good for our economy. Good for our residents."

Entertainment giant Live Nation is among those behind the proposal to renovate 2,700 square metres of the existing teletheatre along with a new partial second floor.

The city says the site plan has been submitted and is under review, and includes changing some windows and doors, putting in a ticket window, and changing the usage of the establishment.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
[- FuNKtiOn -];4723238 said:
There is literally zero mention of EDM at all in the article, only the misleading thread title.
Doesn't matter, to the councillors only heard MONEY. They could have said it was a large functioning blt warehouse and they would have jumped at it

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
What Councillor Margaret Macadoodle does not seem to understand is that people who go to a concert or EDM rave basically buy their tickets online, attend the event, and then go back to wherever they came from right afterward. Maybe they might go to that Murphy's Pub across the road to pre-drink, but most will probably pre-drink or pre-medicate at home these days.

While I think it would be nice to have a venue there, I think local businesses won't benefit from it very much.

Last edited:

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
They should tear it down and put in more condos because that's what we need. Not some mid sized venue for music, that's fucking deplorable! HOW DARE SHE.

If anything, I'm hopeful for this project.

Now if only she could do something about the shit show fuck up situation with the Greek restaurant/Tim Hortons on Woodbine Beach...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

praktik

TRIBE Member
"hopeful"??

Cmon, don't you know everything is shit, all politicians are venal and corrupt and NOTHING good EVER happens??

KickIT

TRIBE Member
What Councillor Margaret Macadoodle does not seem to understand is that people who go to a concert or EDM rave basically buy their tickets online, attend the event, and then go back to wherever they came right afterward. Maybe they might go to that Murphy's Pub across the road to pre-drink, but most will probably pre-drink or pre-medicate at home these days.

While I think it would be nice to have a venue there, I think local businesses won't benefit from it very much.
I'm pretty sure all the businesses surrounding the Danforth Music Hall love the fact they converted that space to a concert hall. All those businesses on the strip from Coxwell to Woodbine will benefit. Hopefully it'll help the businesses just west of Coxwell and Queen too.

praktik

TRIBE Member
She's a witch!

How do I know?

Because she looks like one!
Now now, we all know that looks can be deceiving -the only true way to know for sure is to apply a series of increasingly complex tests to determine whether a woman is truly a wiccan lucifer lover.

If the woman survives these tests, her witch-hood is known to all. If she dies, well....

...well her soul would be well taken care of in heaven and we would just feel awful about it I swear.

billy

TRIBE Member
I'm pretty sure all the businesses surrounding the Danforth Music Hall love the fact they converted that space to a concert hall. All those businesses on the strip from Coxwell to Woodbine will benefit. Hopefully it'll help the businesses just west of Coxwell and Queen too.
Exactly.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
[YOUTUBE]zrzMhU_4m-g[/YOUTUBE]

Now now, we all know that looks can be deceiving -the only true way to know for sure is to apply a series of increasingly complex tests to determine whether a woman is truly a wiccan lucifer lover.

If the woman survives these tests, her witch-hood is known to all. If she dies, well....

...well her soul would be well taken care of in heaven and we would just feel awful about it I swear.