• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

BB10 launch

erika

TRIBE Member
I'm so glad they are offering two different models and that one of them will still have a physical keyboard!

The Kid

TRIBE Member
CEO is so awkward...lol. some really cool features, flow...predictive keyboard. pretty sweet.

dstarr

TRIBE Member
The CEO isn't overly personable and I also find it interesting how evident it is that they almost killed themselves getting BB10. There were a bunch of mentions about having no life and working really hard... etc.

They waited wayyyy to long to change the name from RIM.

Apple makes it look easy and BlackBerry makes it seem like its the hardest thing in the world. I don't doubt that it is/was hard to do what they did and I know they worked for a year straight but I didn't get lots of sizzle from what I watched of the presentation.

Regardless, it's now time for people to get their hands on these things and see what happens. They better get some good apps in there ASAP and there better be no major bugs or outages.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

lobo

TRIBE Member
Some interesting and new features but nothing that would make me want to switch from iOS or Android. I'd only use one of these if it was given to me at work for free. Still, I do hope they end up staying in a solid 3rd place for marketshare.

Lobo

erika

TRIBE Member
I like the notion of separate work and personal profiles/spaces.
Given how much I disliked my brief encounter with android, I'm glad they will still be around - and a keyboard! :p

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I have had the Z10 in my hand fro about 20 minutes and honestly was throughly impressed. They really made great phone/os. Great looking device.

It's really down to their economy and their ability to sell the value to the masses which traditionally they have failed at in the face of competition.

My opinion: They pulled off a great product but is it too late?

praktik

TRIBE Member
I don't think it's too late under the right team, just not sure the team is there.

I too am impressed by the product.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Considering iphone fans hava a tendency to 'need' a new phone every year, and apple hasn't really delivered anything noteworthy lately, it would be interesting to see how many are willing to try out a BB10...

octo

TRIBE Member
it will interesting. i think it's a good time to launch for bb10 because the iphone 5 wasn't as warmly received as was expected. maybe some of those holdouts will switch to bb10.

i think that the phones not being launched in the US until march is an initial blow to perceived potential success of BB10 and that's taken a toll on the stock price today. i haven't read much on the reasons. it sounds like a carrier thing, but it will probably end up being pinned on the RIM. however, the US is not as important of a market as it once was.

i'm on a couple car forums and americans are baffled and seemingly hurt that many cars aren't being launched at american auto shows, instead they get launched in china and brazil. the reality is that the american market is becoming less critical in determining the commercial success of a product.

i can't wait to get the keyboard version. if it weren't a work phone i'd get the full touch. once people get familiar with the interface they'll wonder how they ever put up with iOS.

for me the most interesting aspect of bb10 is the underlying OS that's powered by QNX. here's a good write up on qnx.

http://crackberry.com/history-qnx-and-it’s-implementation-blackberry-10

qnx powers everything from Fords to Bentleys to drones that drop bombs in syria QNX Realtime Operating System (RTOS) software, middleware, development tools and services for superior embedded design

octo

TRIBE Member
They better get some good apps in there ASAP and there better be no major bugs or outages.
"RIM is targeting 70,000 apps for business and consumers at launch, far from the hundreds of thousands of Apple and Android, but Byron Capital analyst Tom Astle said they are expected to include 90 per cent of the top 600."

honestly the vast majority of apps are completely useless. i don't think app availability will be a valid concern.

Karim

TRIBE Member
Apparently the Maps app is the worst of any platform. And no mention of Spotify which is a deal breaker for me.

Other than that, I like the rest of the phone. The work flow and social media integration is nice. It handles communication and social networking quite nicely (which with music/spotify, is what I use my phone for most).

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Actually I think the maps app is the one thing I didn't explore. Maps is key.

The apps thing is valid but people need to stop evaluating based on the total number of apps available. I expect most of the apps people generally use will make it on to the platform.

They just need to convince enough people to get them in their hands and I think they can pull something off here.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Not interested why?

Have you seen the device or used the new OS?

Or have you just assumed that it won't deliver out of the box?
Assumption. Plus out of the box, my android apps have had far more time to mature. The same is true of iphone.

yes 70k apps on launch is impressive. But no netflix, and a few others I use daily is a dealbreaker.

Thus, not interested.

erika

TRIBE Member
I do so few things with my phone, and have not much interest in doing more (yes, I'm an old fogey):
call or text people
read and sometimes send email
check the odd news feed
in terms of apps, all I'm interested in is mahjong and the weather :p

But seriously: netflix why? what do you watch on a phone screen? If I'm watching something, I want it to be on a real screen, the bigger the better.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
But seriously: netflix why? what do you watch on a phone screen? If I'm watching something, I want it to be on a real screen, the bigger the better.
Sitting at my desk and need a break from work. Wifi is open, but our corp network isn't.

My phone screen is quite big.

Plus Nav is nice on the big screen when travelling in the car. And google's nav is solid.

lobo

TRIBE Member
I do so few things with my phone, and have not much interest in doing more (yes, I'm an old fogey):
call or text people
read and sometimes send email
check the odd news feed
in terms of apps, all I'm interested in is mahjong and the weather :p

I'll admit to having watched the odd Netflix show on my iPhone before. It's come in handy if I don't have my tablet with me and feel like killing some time. This was one of the things that bugged me about the BB Playbook. No Skype and no Netflix.

Lobo

octo

TRIBE Member
Apparently the phone has the worst low light camera pics of all the major players. For something that is being targeted to the consumers, you'd think they would have tried to put in something a little better. To quote Gizmodo, "This is some four-years-ago crap."

BlackBerry Z10 Camera: The Worst Low-Light Performance We've Seen in a Long Time

Lobo
ya the camera is mediocre. they dropped the ball on that one.

the new OS doesn't let you customize ring tones and volumes for different alerts. that's actually a huge piss off for me. on my bold 9790* i have work emails at normal volume, personal emails on low volume non-intrusive sound, a 2nd work related bullshit email on silent and bbm on medium and texts on medium with their own slightly different sound from bbm. i would probably have a hard time adjusting to everything sounding the same and coming in at the same volume.

hopefully they restore that functionality by the time we get upgraded to the q10 at work.

* i absolutely love this phone. it's light, small and built like a TANK. gives me tons of battery life, never freezes on me, takes a beating and i work it like a champ.

Netflix is on it's way and so is spotify.

i have no problem with the current bb maps and blackberry traffic is pretty sweet. let's hope that new maps aren't an apple like disaster, although it would be nice to have the option of google maps at some point.

kuba

TRIBE Member
You can't get google maps on the Z10? Call me when you can. And holy shit different profiles for all those different emails/contacts, how do you keep track? :p

I went today to try one out at the store and the little words above the letters thing is nonsense. You can't see a damn thing! Oh well, I'm a faithful BB user and will buy one on kijiji when it comes out, try it, and re-sell it (hope I don't drop it in the meantime mind you)