• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Bathroom/Kitchen Contractors?

mcbee

TRIBE Member
before you all berate me for not using google/yellow pages/phone book etc:p i have used all those and i do have a list of potential contractors. i've also been to the Home Show and the Interior Design show and seen a bunch of other contractors in the toronto area.

however, now what i'm looking for is personal recommendations....does anyone know/have had a great experience with a Toronto area kitchen/bathroom contractor?

basic and I are looking to completely renovate our condo's bathroom, plus do some minor work in the kitchen. i've never hired a contractor before and i need some good recommendations!

Thanks in advance to the wise tribe masses!!

:)sarah

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
You both have turned into yuppies. :p

I know a guy who does reno. I'll probably be seeing him this weekend so I'll ask if he does kitchen and bathrooms. Go on personal recommendations, as many contractors are EVIL.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Littlest Hobo
You both have turned into yuppies. :p

I know a guy who does reno. I'll probably be seeing him this weekend so I'll ask if he does kitchen and bathrooms. Go on personal recommendations, as many contractors are EVIL.

thanks vince!

yup, i've heard horror stories, so i definately want someone who i trust!

:)sarah<---not even close to a yuppie!!!:D

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
i used to help out in renovations so id like to add something to this thread.

first,as issume you've done,seek out a list of potential contractors.then ask for some names and numbers of their past clients.most will be happy to,if they don't-TURN AND RUN!.this is the best way of finding out about how they work,how quick they work and how much they cost in the end.

secondly,do some research on costs both labour and material of the reno you are looking for.contractors will pad a fucking bill to no end if they can,especially young urbanites in T.O.-trust me on this one.

really the best thing you can do is research,research,research.going to the home show is a good start,but alot of those people are wankers so don't just rely on that.take your time and don't rush into anything cuz there are alot of horror stories.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OhNo!

secondly,do some research on costs both labour and material of the reno you are looking for.contractors will pad a fucking bill to no end if they can,especially young urbanites in T.O.-trust me on this one.

i've started to do this as well. can you recommend resources to get this information?

I want to go into to this whole thing knowledgable of what i want, how much is should cost and confident in my contractor.

(regarding the wankers at the home, i got that feeling too! none really impressed me...if anything my trip to the home show, helped me figure out what i DON"T want.

:)sarah

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
As vomity as it sounds, have you considered having your kitchen/bathroom done over by Home Depot, etc.?

From a legal standpoint, its a safer bet (many vague and shady contractors out there who take advantage of ppl not really familar with construction law)

Lurch

TRIBE Member
I know this may sound weird but my friend is very skilled at renovating kitchens and bathrooms, but he likes working with clients that WANT to help and learn. He just renovated my parents bathroom and they are very pleased it was 1/3 of the price of the last quote they got.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
the best thing to do is get out there.if you already know what you want visit or call places like home depot,beaver,millwork,home hardware etc. etc. take a look at the materials,talk to the workers,ask them questions as they have some knowledge as to the quality and durability of the material,take notes and prices.

go to the library or bookstore,grab a coffee and read about the work involved in doing renovations.you probably won't have too much sink in,but at least you'll know what they are doing with that hammer.;)

like i said earlier,most contractors will be happy to give you names and numbers of clients they have done work for.this is the absolute best way to find out about a contractor and in some cases you could even visit to see the work,or look at the contractors portfolio.

then analyze all the information you have.look at your budget,what do you want,what do you need?try not to get talked into anything that might shoot your costs up.

bug the hell out of them,ask a million questions.;)

j bunny 2000

TRIBE Member
oh ...if you are unsure about a contractor check to see if they are registered with the better business bureau and if they have had any complaints. Contractors are #1 on the list of complaints through BBB, so its worth your time to do this.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders