1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Bassnectar @ opera house!!!!

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by glych t.anomaly, Jul 18, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

As I live and breath...
    This is so fucking insane! !!

[Jai]

2. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

This was a fairly hyped event to be at. Opera House was sweltering. The same sweaty-heat issues continue into the Saturday Night. The venue though was a perfect fit for Bassnectar, who right off the bat went on an incredible pounding, bass-heavy set. The energy in the place was pretty cool. Everyone seemed to be really into the music. I'm not that much of a glitch/dubstep fan but it was definitely a good party and fun.

3. dj.nick.c

dj.nick.c TRIBE Member

This party was destined to absolutely killer. I'm sad I wasn't able to make it but I will see him play @ Shambhala in a few weeks. Would have been great to see the gates.foundation play together again. I hear they added 16 bass bins to the sound rig, would have loved to hear it!

4. glych t.anomaly

man we walked in there around 11:10 and XI was on deck and from what i heard laid down a sick derty set loaded with new tracks i hadnt heard before, his closing was this crazy robotic glitchy bass that was just killer, great performance.

around midnight after watching Lorin add the final touches to his rig, he stepped up and greeted us, and then began an hour and a half of the most BASS heavy, punishing, auditory overload that only Lorin can do.

this is the first show where i have seen him, and he shipped in some of his rig, and sweet zombie jesus !!! it is fucking insane. i have never heard the opera house sound so full, and rich, and felt bass waves hit you when i was like 70 ft from the stage behind the soundbooth.

special guests of Masia One & Meesha coming out to throw down with Ill.Gates to bring The Gates Foundation together for what must have been the first time in like 2 years was a great way to round out the night. Dylan and Meesha threw down some great new licks while Masia lulled us with her lyrical stylings , and that kept the party rocking till they kicked us out.

Thank you to the promoters, Lorin Bassnectar, Ill.Gates w/ Meesha & Masia One, XI, Sidenote, and my entire crew. what an insane fucking night.

[jai]

5. Hipsterave

Hipsterave TRIBE Promoter

How was the crowd?

any pics?

6. glych t.anomaly

crowd was great, not even that stinky , and for an all ages event, it was entertaining seeing all the little new party people.

pics coming, video i took is balls due to the CRAZY overload on the mic, so i am not going to bother posting those.

[jai]

7. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

i wish i made it to this, but after the epic beer fest on the patio at hooters with kmac and my boy gil and some other girls i was in no shape to hit anything:(

8. glych t.anomaly

lol next time homey :)

it was fucking intense !!!!

[jai]

9. glych t.anomaly

[​IMG]

for me, this pic sums up the night so well

:cool:;):D

[jai]

10. glych t.anomaly

11. glych t.anomaly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <3 u nunu :)

[jai]

12. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

13. mmm

mmm TRIBE Member

I couldn't get enough visual stimulus from people watching. Bassnectar was just loads of fun to watch because he just didn't stop moving, and was so into what he was doing. And that fact that he has death metal dude hair that just bobbed over the equipment the whole time was awesome.

I totally agree with the crowd being descent despite the all ages factor. Quite a few new school candy ravers, a bunch of glow sticks floating around the crowd, a hello kitty backpack. Every time he would drop a dirty bassline, the entire place would erupt. He got on the mic a few times to hype the crowd a bit more and the response was really good. Everybody dancing, loads of hands in the air. It was a really good vibe. The kids were alright.

Musically, his set was just so varied and interesting. It was bassy and chuggy in typically dubstep form, but he had a couple of really cool hip hop and drum n' bass tracks, and even a pretty dope Nelly Furtado remix. The bass in the place was ridiculous. I too heard that he requested 15 extra subs for the show. We started by watching the show from behind the sound booth, but had to move because the bass was just too much.

I didn't stay for much of the the Gates Foundations performance, but they came out really strong, and really moved the crowd.

Definitely a very dope night.