• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Bartending

Alita

TRIBE Member
I'd like to get a job bartending for spring/summer...maybe longer

I have no experience (bar/wait/host) and no smart serve. Does anyone have any recommendations how to go about looking for jobs and starting out? Do I need to get a certificate? Can I just walk into places and ask? Are the online listings anywhere? Where is the best place to go for a certificate? ...right now I'm looking at "the bartending school of Ontario"

Help is much appreciated :D

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Alita said:
Where is the best place to go for a certificate? ...right now I'm looking at "the bartending school of Ontario"
If you're going to get certified then this is the place but most bartenders will tell you not to bother... or just smartmove

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Also, everyone wants to bartend spring/summer. Get a job bartending now and wait. unless you are really good looking it will be hard to pick up a job in the spring

Alita

TRIBE Member
Well I'm starting to look now ... just unsure how to go about it. The whole no experience thing feels weird.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dyad

TRIBE Member
most places want you to have your smartserve already because then they dont have to pay for it. it used to be that you needed to go through a company but now you can just do it yourself online at www.smartserve.org

joey

TRIBE Member
unless you are crazy hot you will not get a job as a bartender with no experience. that's all there is no it. conssider just trying for a serving job and then try to get ptomoted from within

smart serve isnt a big deal. most places have the capability to sertify you on site

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Are you hot?
It's funny how many times this question has been asked in a thread but how rarely it has relevance. This happens to be the odd thread where it is relevant.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
groovespinna said:
important question. really, it's all that matters. downtown anyway.

Exactly I'm not trying to be sexist, but if you aren't a hotti your going to have to work your way up to bartender.

Alita

TRIBE Member
If I say I'm hot it's a mistake, If i say I'm not it's also a mistake ....so I'll just ignore the question and keep it in mind boys...

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Female bartender equation for employment success: T*B > 65

Where:

T = talent on a scale of 1 - 10
and
B = overall breast appeal on a scale of 1 - 10

Last edited:

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
Female bartender equation for employment success: T*B > 65

Where:

T = talent on a scale of 1 - 10
and
B = overall breast appeal on a scale of 1 - 10

haha, I'm going to do some judging on the street today, see who could be a bartender.

joey

TRIBE Member
serving is being a waitresss and serving the tables
host is the person the greets the tables at the door and takes them to their seat

shooter girl - guess it depends on where and if you can tolerate dudes hitting on you like crazy and being all grabby

Alita

TRIBE Member
Joey: So is it better to be a host or a server if the intention is to eventually bartend? Also I have never been a waitress, will it be hard to get a job?

joey

TRIBE Member
host doesnt make a whole lot of money. it is usually reserved for younger highschool girls as their first job (depending on what kind of restaurant it is)

ive hired a lot of girls without experience before. some have been a flop other have been great. just pound the pavement and get out as many resumes as you can. when you interview stress team work, organization and memorey as your strong points

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Alita - get your smartserve certification first.... most places require that you already have it in order to begin working there. Corporate restaurants like Jack Astor's will hire you and pay for your smartserve training without previous certification but most clubs downtown will make it a pre-employment requirement.

Once you've got your smartserve certification, walk to every bar/restaurant you can think of and ask to speak to a manager (never leave your resume with the host/hostess unless absolutely neccesary). For restaurants, only go between the hours of 2-4 as any other time you risk hitting their lunch or dinner rush and you have almost zero chance of seeing a manager.

Don't limit what you apply for. Say you're willing to work as a hostess or a server. The restaurant/club hierarchy is as follows: host(ess)---> server ---> bartender. It is rare that you're hired to the bar immediately, you usually have to get experience as a server/cocktailer.

You can make just as much money as a server, you just don't have as cool of a job. Be prepared to spend some time mucking it out in less-than-awesome roles as a hostess or server before getting a bartending position.

Of course all the above is irrelevant if you have a wicked rack and loose morals.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Alita, footwork was looking for some bar-help. PM sentence on the board for details. They were looking for a busser/barback but it's an 'in' at least, and would put you in a good position if a bartending position came up.

Alita

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
Alita, footwork was looking for some bar-help. PM sentence on the board for details. They were looking for a busser/barback but it's an 'in' at least, and would put you in a good position if a bartending position came up.
:0

Thanks!

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
mingster said:
alita is smokin hot.
hot as in Tribe hot. Tribe hot being they are a step above plain but the friend thing kicks in and the person is "smoking hot" or would a stranger on the street turn their head?

I hope you get what I'm saying.

If it is the former then PM your answer, we don't want to hurt Alita's feelings. :D

Why do I care? jeez, what's wrong with me.