• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Bars and Pubs want $500 million

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Bars seek millions over smoking ban

Canadian Press

Toronto — Ontario's bar and pub owners are asking for $500-million in compensation from the provincial government if a province-wide smoking ban is put in place.

“We know it's going to cost a lot of money to our industry if the government does implement the ban,” Barry McKay, head of the Pub and Bar Coalition of Canada, said Tuesday.

“There will be collateral damage to our industry. We feel if they insist with going ahead with a ban, knowing full well the damages that are going to be caused, they should be prepared to pay some compensation.”

A smoking ban would mean a loss of $180-million in beer sales for bars and pubs every year, the coalition says.

With a minimum investment of $250,000 in a small bar, and factoring the loss of revenue for businesses that survive a smoking ban, potential losses will be in the region of $500-million, the group says.

The Ontario Tobacco Control Act, passed in 1994, allowed municipalities to restrict smoking in workplaces and public places.

Since then, 73 of 446 Ontario municipalities have implemented smoke-free bylaws in restaurants or both restaurants and bars.

The Brewers Association of Canada has found that in municipalities where smoking bans have been implemented, beer sales have dropped by roughly 6 per cent, Mr. McKay said.

“Invariably, there is a difference in the region of 6 to 7 per cent between banned areas and no-ban areas, and that equates to a lot of beer,” he said.

At least 900 small bars across Ontario will be forced to close if all municipalities follow the no-smoking trend, the coalition says.

The group is demanding the $500-million in compensation from the Ontario government because provincial legislation is allowing municipalities to implement smoking bans, Mr. McKay said.

“It would be totally impossible for us to go after 20, 30, 40 municipalities,” he said.

In last fall's Ontario election campaign, the Liberals promised to implement a province-wide ban on smoking in public places and workplaces.

http://globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040106.wsmoke0106/BNStory/National/

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
booo fucking hoooo.

The rest of the country and the world is way ahead of Toronto on this, these people should eat it and accept the world is changing.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bumbaclat
not being able to smoke is not going to stop me from drinking.

Bumbaclat
Exactly.

Do they think that because people can't smoke, that they're going to stop drinking at pubs?

I call bullshit.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
I was going to say that the only places that would really be affected, would be a border town like Ottawa, where people could go over to Hull if not being able to smoke was *that* big of a deal.

But then I remembered that Ottawa has had a complete smoking ban for years now, and people still drink like fishes there.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
Exactly.

Do they think that because people can't smoke, that they're going to stop drinking at pubs?

I call bullshit.
Just because there's a ban doesn't mean I won't stop smoking when I drink.

*c*

IgStar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Syntax Error
let's start this argument again.

haha

but it's SO interesting.

bah! K-W has been smoke free for years, ya ain't gettin' no sympathy from me.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
If anything I would suspect that you'd drink more because smokers will want to stick something in their yap all the time. I suggest putting straws in pints of beer to pacify the orally fixated.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Lee's Palace/Dance Cave and Horseshoe Tav are both non-smoking facilities. They have signs posted on the walls, yet this does not stop people from smoking.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
The rest of the country and the world is way ahead of Toronto on this, these people should eat it and accept the world is changing.
Everyone tells me Europe is one big ash tray, with Japan, China and many other Asian countries not too far behind (so I've heard).

Freedom for some, nannies for others I guess.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
ahh...it's going to be so good going to a club when there's no tobacco smoke.
.. and instead we can enoy the delighful odours of 500 sweaty strangers. :p

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
ahh...it's going to be so good going to a club when there's no tobacco smoke.
But watch out, they're installing 5 times more smoke machines @ systems ;)

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
If anything I would suspect that you'd drink more because smokers will want to stick something in their yap all the time.
Back a couple of years ago when I was quitting smoking, I drank significantly more when I was out as a result.

If the bars & pubs really have a case, they can show their receipts to the government at the end of the first year of the smoking ban and compare it to years before.

I'd be quite surprised if they end up losing the piles of money that they are claiming they will.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Aerius Zension
Lee's Palace/Dance Cave and Horseshoe Tav are both non-smoking facilities. They have signs posted on the walls, yet this does not stop people from smoking.
Either non-smokers are cowards (who won't tell the smoker to butt out), the bar owners realize who are paying their bills and let them smoke, or the non-smokers don't care.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Barrie is all non smoking too. It's not so bad, it's fun seeing which club/bar/resturant has the best makeshift smoking pen.

FLIRT Crew

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
Personally, when I was a smoker and had to live/visit in places like Waterloo and Ottawa, I made a concious decision not to go to bars/clubs *because* of the smoking ban. There were many people that felt the same way... and this attitude translated into lower booze sales for businesses in those municipalities (as was documented with the 6% decrease).

I'm not advocating for or against the ban... but it is important to acknowledge that it does have a major effect on the industry. whether you like it or not.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
It's going to make it very hard to smoke a hoolie on the dance floor now, though.
All these non-smoking laws don't exactly help the pro-dope movement.

"Some smoke is more equal than others."

mingster

TRIBE Member
It's going to make it very hard to smoke a hoolie on the dance floor now, though.
yep. this is my only worry around the issue. i hope it doesn't suck.

FLIRT Crew

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Littlest Hobo
Everyone tells me Europe is one big ash tray, with Japan, China and many other Asian countries not too far behind (so I've heard).

Freedom for some, nannies for others I guess.
lol... i was just going to say the same thing. we're lightyears ahead of other countries when it comes to anti-smoking legislation/propaganda.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by KickIT
Just because there's a ban doesn't mean I won't stop smoking when I drink.

*c*
WERD!!

Civil disobedience at it's best!!

As I recall from last time, people will still smoke.
It's just a fine anyway.