• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Barry Bonds......Inhuman??

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
Steroids, probably. But it is hard to argue with these numbers.

YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS
2004 14 37 14 19 5 0 9 19 18 3 0 0 .514 .673 1.378 2.051

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
barry bonds is the greatest ball player of our generation.

perhaps the second greatest ball player of all time behind willie mays.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
An OBP of .673 is scary. It is too bad the Giants suck and he is a cranky wanker. But i have to respect the talent.

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OhNo!
barry bonds is the greatest ball player of our generation.

perhaps the second greatest ball player of all time behind willie mays.

depends on how you define 'greatness'

I see Cal Ripken Jr. in my head when I think about greatest ever.

;)

but I have my reasons.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by patri©k
depends on how you define 'greatness'

I see Cal Ripken Jr. in my head when I think about greatest ever.

;)

but I have my reasons.

well the problem with debates like this is that it all gets subjective.

but numbers tell the picture.

ripken jr. is definitley one of the high-calibre players of our generation.

i just feel bonds is in a elite class.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
My dad's buddy's daughter was married to Bonds wayyyy back (late '80s?). I had an early autographed card, but sold it.

Colm

TRIBE Member
Id choose ripken, ryan, clemens or even carter over Bonds. I hate how steriod infesting baseball has become.

patri©k

TRIBE Member
well the problem with debates like this is that it all gets subjective.

but numbers tell the picture.

ripken jr. is definitley one of the high-calibre players of our generation.

i just feel bonds is in a elite class.

yeah... it's subjective. I do agree that Bonds is hype... but he's just too damn smug for my liking. Regardless... we're talking about his skill... not personality.

and in regards to numbers... 2,131 consecutive games without missing a start is pretty fucking impressive.

:)

I hope Bonds beats the record... just cuz it's nice to witness moments like that in sports. :)

(softy for big moments)

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Muad'ib
Steroids, probably. But it is hard to argue with these numbers.
You can doubt every single year of his career except this one. How do you equate steroids with his numbers this year? There is way too much heat on this guy for him to be taking anything. But what about his numbers? Is someone going to point out something...anything that supports the 'claims' that he is/was on 'roids? Or are people going to continue to slag him because there's no way he can be that good?

Ripken was a phenomenal player and all around good guy that the media loved. But I disagree with the notion that he is in Barry Bonds territory. The numbers don't add up and baseball is all about statistics. 2000+ games in a row means he was consistent and reliable, not elite.

Last edited:

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
Re: Re: Barry Bonds......Inhuman??

Originally posted by fleaflo
You can doubt every single year of his career except this one. How do you equate steroids with his numbers this year?

I didn't say that his numbers this year were a direct result of steroids. The comment was meant as more of a preface, you talk about Barry Bonds, you at the very least have to pay lip service to the steroid issue.

There is way too much heat on this guy for him to be taking anything. But what about his numbers? Is someone going to point out something...anything that supports the 'claims' that he is/was on 'roids? Or are people going to continue to slag him because there's no way he can be that good?

I agree there is too much heat on him for him to be on anything. But I think he looks smaller this year than he has in the last few years. All the evidence that he is/was on steroids circumstantial and thus, invalid. He has honed his game and become one of the purest hitters in history, that much is certain, and he has been consistent throughout his career, maybe he wasn't hitting for as much power 10 years ago, but he did other things to make up for it.

No one is slagging him here fleaflo. Personally, I think that pro athletes should be allowed to fuck with their bodies as much as they like. After all they are paid to perform, let them do what they think will get the best results. Role models be damned. When he hit 73 that year, i was cheering, i didn't/don't care what he does to get that power.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
fuck all this noise.

bonds has been putting up great numbers his whole career.

consistent motherfucker.

sure supplements may have increased his muscle mass but it sure doesn't affect his timing or his eyesite.

thats just called mad talent.

why doesn't every ballplayer take roids and smack 600+ HR and steal 500+ bases.

because you can't.

you cannot deny his pure talent.

Snapper

TRIBE Member
I think this year, Bonds has a realistic chance of hitting .400!

The guy will not play every game (that's some good rest in moderation), will get a shitload of walks, and is one of the purest hitters today. You just can't get this guy out that easily.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bernnie Federko
Bonds was the best ball player of the 90's. Next question.

are you kidding me?

he is the best player of his generation.

think arod will be putting up those numbers at bonds' age?

no fucking way.

whatever happened to that young phenom that was suppose to break all those hitting records?

whats his name again?

ken griffey jr.

hows he doing?

NEXT!

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Jr ruined his career by going to play with his dad. Still, sick numbers with his sh|t. Too bad he's broken down. If he didn't have the ego he would've been in Pinstrips.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
jrs. numbers when he was 20 years old were intimidating.

still just one of those cases of great capabilities at a young age but can't stay healthy at age 30.

bad genes i guess.

just a case of coulda,shoulda,woulda.

too bad it doesn't work that way.

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Barry Bonds......Inhuman??

...you talk about Barry Bonds, you at the very least have to pay lip service to the steroid issue
He was tested like everyone else and those tests were negative. Everything else is conjecture. That his character is tainted by conjecture rather than the fact that he's a moody asshole bothers me.

But I think he looks smaller this year than he has in the last few years.
Well I would have thought that he was smaller because he was mourning the loss of his dad during the offseason. He probably wasn't focused on his offseason training like he was used to. Plus his personal trainer was out of commission so that probably contributed to it as well. But that's just my thoughts on it. I can't say I've noticed a considerable size decrease on him.

No one is slagging him here fleaflo.
I wasn't referring to anyone in this thread, it was a very general comment.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
jrs. numbers when he was 20 years old were intimidating.

still just one of those cases of great capabilities at a young age but can't stay healthy at age 30.

bad genes i guess.

just a case of coulda,shoulda,woulda.

too bad it doesn't work that way.

Being crippled with that talent must be depressing.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Bonds is talented. But let's remember he plays baseball in the age of the juiced ball/ suck ass pitchers. Plus he's juiced up.

Any recordes he sets should have a giant asterix beside it.

I'd love for the prosecuters get access to MLB steroid test results and make them public.

Anyone who thinks Bonds is clean needs to take their heads out of their asses.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Barry Bonds......Inhuman??

Originally posted by fleaflo
He was tested like everyone else and those tests were negative. Everything else is conjecture.
How do you know? The test results weren't made public.

Well I would have thought that he was smaller because he was mourning the loss of his dad during the offseason. He probably wasn't focused on his offseason training like he was used to. Plus his personal trainer was out of commission so that probably contributed to it as well. But that's just my thoughts on it. I can't say I've noticed a considerable size decrease on him.
His trainer is out of commission. He's smaller. Coincidence? I think not.

Trying to avoid testing positive in the year that results are made public? A more likely scenario.

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Barry Bonds......Inhuman??

Originally posted by Vote Quimby
How do you know? The test results weren't made public.
You know that's my point exactly. How can you say that he should have a giant asterix by his name if you don't have any proof whatsoever that he took anything?
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
His trainer is out of commission. He's smaller. Coincidence? I think not. Trying to avoid testing positive in the year that results are made public? A more likely scenario.
Ok, how do you explain his production to date?
Also, baseball players are told well in advance of an impending drug test so there is no real stress when it comes to masking results.

And if there is going to be any asterix', then why haven't they already put one by Mark McGuire's name?