• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Barak Obama!

I-Drop

TRIBE Member
How is that for the name of the United States first black president.

Wow! Imagine the kind of speechs that guy would drop for his own election - unbelievable.

Better than Clinton, probally more on par with J.F. Kennedy. It's too bad the Networks were not covering that night of the convention, this guy alone would have been good for a 2 or 3 percent swing.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
He seemed evasive (but was very good at it) and had the usual political flair for appealing to the emotional side of the argument.

I wasn't very impressed when I saw him interviewed, but then again, I've only seen him in two interviews so far.

Gunark

TRIBE Member
He seemed high on coke. Or future promise of power. Either one.

I'm still bitter Dean didn't win the nomination though so just ignore me.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
He seemed evasive (but was very good at it) and had the usual political flair for appealing to the emotional side of the argument.

:confused: We're talking about his speech. He was anything but evasive.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
The true test will be to see if he has staying power. The same thing (future president, the first black leader) was said about JC Watts within the Republican party following his speeches at the RNC in 1996 and 2000.

However, since then he was sidelined in the rat race and ultimately retired from politics sometime in 2003 I believe.

Watts had it all (at least on paper) to make it big with Republican voters, the All-American QB in football, linked to the civil rights movement through his family, "compassionate conservative" etc.

That being said, I think Obama does have a somewhat smoother ride, as I can see the Democrats being the first party that would have the balls to send a minority as their candidate for the Presidency. Watts was the only black congress member of the Republican party.