1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Banning Uber: More bullshit coming from the City of Toronto

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Primavera, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

2. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

3. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

all is fair in love and war.

this crap happens in every emerging industry. tech is probably the biggest example. Apple/Samsung, Tesla/Apple, Microsoft/Apple, Blackberry/Android, USA/Russia, GM/Toyota I could go on and on but I think you get the point. it's business and there's nothing gentlemanly about it.

As for the insurance aspect, the only one who is potentially screwed is the driver, never the passenger. The passenger would go to their own insurance, if they don't have their own it would follow priority rules (spouse/parents/employer) if not available then it would go to the uber drivers insurer, if not available they would go to the MVACF.

let me make it very clear for you and others Maui.
    regardless of the situation (intentional illegal acts of the claimant aside)nobody in Ontario is left footing the bill for their injuries in an accident and they maintain the right to sue in Tort if needed to recover losses to covered under the no-fault regime

the insurance issue is exclusive to the driver not having the proper type of insurance (commercial vs personal) the funny thing is companies like state farm offer commercial rate that are in line with a personal policy but generally most insurers tend to charge a higher amount for proper coverage in this instance which is why drivers don't purchase it, as it cuts into their bottom line.

So when you say things like "it's a no brainer when your dead" you are not only in fact grossly misinformed you are also wrong and should not be speaking as an authority on this particular subject as you speak based on a skewed opinion of hatred for corporations and animosity towards their business practices.

This is not only dangerous it is very dumb

4. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

That's not an example. You didn't provide any evidence.

What Uber is doing is criminal to be sure. Why don't you start making daily phone calls to businesses asking for a service and then disregard them over and over and lets see if you get in any trouble with the law over it mmmmkkay?

I'm not misinformed, and I'm not wrong. Speaking as an authority on what topic? I, in this thread have never once mentioned anything about insurance and could care less about who or what is insured regarding Uber.

What I would be concerned about is that all Uber drivers should have to pass a medical on a continual basis as most drivers in the transportation profession must do.

5. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

All a taxi driver needs to become one is a note from his Dr. stating he's physically fit in most municipalities. Is that really the foundation for your entire argument?

I can tell you as a fact it makes no difference. I've seen taxi drivers who have a history of significant ailments still cleared to get behind a wheel only to be involved in major accidents.

A note from your Dr. isn't going to save your life and it's really not the crux of any arguments anyone (aside from you) is making. The main issue the majority of people have is the insurance aspect and frankly aside from licensing it's the only real issue.

6. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

7. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

Terrible. There wouldn't be a market for uberHOP if we had kept building our transit system. But, we couldn't keep building up transit with the electorate demanding low taxes.

At only $5 a head, I can see how this could put a dent into TTC ridership. Transit demands in those neighbourhoods far outpace supply.

8. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

Fixed

9. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

10. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

I had a fucked up ride Thursday morning. Currently working through Customer Service to resolve it. Hope I'm okay...

11. Bernnie Federko

Took a couple emails and dealing with 2 Rep's, and now I'm Good.

12. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

what happened? why was your ride messed up?

13. Bernnie Federko

I ordered an Uber driver through as I normally do on Mon/Wed/Thurs. I selected UberX-UberPool, confirmed I req'd 1 seat and agreed that the estimate was okay. Then a Cab (????) arrived, and from that point onwards it went screwy. The Driver said he expected 2 riders (?????), then he fumbled with his smartphone/app, and asked me which route I wanted (????), then 2 kilometers into the ride he said he forgot to turn on the meter (???) and asked me how much the fare was (?????), I asked is his App not working, and told him the estimate was XYZ like usual, then he said that was unacceptable/not high enough (?????), at which point I felt unsafe, and I said if that was going to be further hassle/not going to be okay does he want to cancel the ride. So he dumped me in the - 11 freezing cold. Then I stood in a doorway and tried to order another ride unsuccessfully for about 20 minutes while the pricing surged up to a multiplier of *2.7 times normal, finally agreeing to another ride @ 1.7, only to have that ride cancelled at literally the last minute (?????), then successfully ordered a ride at the normal base fare, got to the gym late for the TRX class I pay extra to attend… After which I found out I’d been charged the full fare by the first Uber Driver (the one who was a Taxi who picked me up after I ordered UberX-UberPool) who I had cancelled the ride from.

The first reply from the Uber Rep came Saturday afternoon and made no sense as the person seems to have thought I got into a completely non-uber ride. I then was contacted by the second Rep who resolved it in 1 Go and apologized, took ownership, and let me know they'd deal with the offending driver (IMHO:who may or may not have been using guerrilla tactics to give Uber a bad name)

14. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

15. Bernnie Federko

#TheStruggleIsReal

16. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

17. Bernnie Federko

What an objective and wise thing to say

[​IMG]

18. dg0425

dg0425 TRIBE Member

I read the calgary bylaw requirements for Uber and don't understand why it makes it impossible for them to operate. $220 a year licensing fee doesn't seem too crazy. How much does an annual car inspection cost?

19. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Cuz no law of man can apply to.. Uber.

20. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

^^^^Ding Ding Ding!

This company is yet another in a race to the bottom for capitalism.

Good reason why cities are banning them around the world.

21. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

Mississauga council directs Uber to stand down | Toronto Star

Note the bold text below (my emphasis). The gall of having the tax payer PAY OUT the fucking plate owners because they didn't have the balls to deal with this industry before. This is the clearest any politician has been in signaling the defeat of the existing taxi model as it is right now. Also, those plates used to be worth closer to $320k.

22. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Adjustment funds make sense when making changes in industries that have significant losers - this could be seen as something similar to what the government announced for certain sectors expected to have a tougher time with the TPP (and we should have had more such transfers and programs for NAFTA and CUFTA before it - our trade deals have happened to be so stingey on this!)

I'm of the opinion we should have bought the placeholders out years ago to end the quasi serfdom of taxi drivers and render the industry less like a fucking pyramid!

But no one cares about the plight of taxi drivers and no one did enough in the decades before Uber to make a case for ending an unjust economic system created through cronyism.

23. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

You know who else doesn't care about the plight of taxi drivers? Taxi drivers. Otherwise they would have been screaming bloody murder at the thought of paying someone $1800 / month to rent a plate owned by a private individual but issued by a municipal government. It's teh lols through and through.

It boggles the mind how much cheaper taxi fares could be if taxi drivers didn't have to spend this money on renting or mortgaging these plates. THAT is when they could brush off Uber, because then each municipality just needs to enforce a police check and proper insurance and the playing field is more or less level.

24. Bernnie Federko

I want to hear what Maui thinks. I want some objective & wise words about dis lyfe.

25. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Maui Wowie