• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Banning Uber: More bullshit coming from the City of Toronto

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Clients flock to new provider because it better satisfies their need.

Establishment notices clients fleeing towards a better approach.

Too lazy/entitled to amend the status quo approach.

Litigate new provider into submission with status quo approach.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
So ignore the law? because they're "cool"? even airbnb is having to face the fact that they are enabling hotelier services.

and why did the city take so long?

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
It's an interesting psychology in the consumer at work:

"taxis in toronto are shit and its like a cartel"

(looks to multi-billion dollar multinational company for help)

"big three telcos need a shakeup!"

(looks to an even bigger giant than our Big Three, Verizon , for help)

Seem like weird remedies to the problems IMO

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
It's an interesting psychology in the consumer at work:

"taxis in toronto are shit and its like a cartel"

(looks to multi-billion dollar multinational company for help)

"big three telcos need a shakeup!"

(looks to an even bigger giant than our Big Three, Verizon , for help)

Seem like weird remedies to the problems IMO
Uber provides superior service at a lower cost.

Verizon provides superior service at a lower cost.

How are those weird remedies?

praktik

TRIBE Member
Cause you're asking for more of the same poison but from more distant and even larger businessses

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Cause you're asking for more of the same poison but from more distant and even larger businessses
80% of Uber's fares go directly to drivers, compared to a vast majority of taxi fares which go to pay token costs. It directs more money to the people that deserve it. How is that the same poison?

praktik

TRIBE Member
80% of Uber's fares go directly to drivers, compared to a vast majority of taxi fares which go to pay token costs. It directs more money to the people that deserve it. How is that the same poison?
Analogy probably works better in telco space - but even so uber won't really change the rest of the taxi market cause its a creation of our rules and regs and people haven't really had the courage to take on the fiefdoms there to make it a more equitable and open market.

We'll still need to do that even with uber around - new competitors can only do so much.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
This was going to hit a court room sooner or later. There is a lot of grey area here and the sooner there is a legal challenge the sooner it becomes black and white.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Interesting that Tory has chosen this issue to be his first wedge at City Hall.

The licensing bureau chief Tracy whoever (who requested the injunction against Uber) shut up suddenly and cancelled media calls after Tory's scrum where he defended Uber.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting that Tory has chosen this issue to be his first wedge at City Hall.

The licensing bureau chief Tracy whoever (who requested the injunction against Uber) shut up suddenly and cancelled media calls after Tory's scrum where he defended Uber.

“Uber, and services like it, are here to stay,” Tory stated. “It is time our regulatory system got in line with evolving consumer demands in the 21st century. As mayor, I intend to see that it does, while being fair to all parties, respecting the law and public safety.” -John Tory

Tracy Whatever:

praktik

TRIBE Member
Good to see reform on the regulatory front - the market we have is the market we created - we should be open to adjusting our regs and as a consumer of cabs in this city for some time, feels long overdue.

Talking to cabbies I dont know how they do it - and its a bit galling to see what they go through and imagine these plate holders just sitting back and letting the cash roll in as they take vacations and have live-in masseuses.

erika

TRIBE Member
I've never used the service (though Tory has apparently). It seems that Uber are a lot shadier than they make themselves out to be and have hit problems in other cities because of it.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

mute79

TRIBE Member
I hate cabbies. Did anyone else experience cabbie pulling up and asking for the destination? And then when you tell them they say they're going in a different direction. The fuck is that? They're looking for longer fares while you stand out in the rain.

They've done this to me on 3 different occasions! And I rarely take cabs as it is...

HATE THE CABBIE SELF-ENTITLEMENT COMPLEX

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
I've never used the service (though Tory has apparently). It seems that Uber are a lot shadier than they make themselves out to be and have hit problems in other cities because of it.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Uber shady? WTF? I've lived in San Francisco, Chicago, and currently live in LA... some of the largest markets for the company. The service is incredible - clean new cars, efficient pickups, friendly drivers and far more cost effective than alternatives. My wife feels far more comfortable taking an Uber late at night than calling a taxi.

Their driver rating system ensures that you have the opportunity to only ride with highly rated drivers with large numbers of independent customer reviews, and customer service/dispute resolution is fantastic.

If you talk to the drivers, most of them love their jobs.

Honestly I don't understand Tribe sometimes. It's the first website to want to shove it to "the man," but then defends shady, money-making pyramid schemes like taxi licenses?

Ooooooh I get it. Tory is a baby eating conservative so if he likes something it must be bad.

Last edited:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
It will be interesting to see if Tory can actually change anything at city hall (on any issue). The entrenched self perpetuating city Councillors, the administrative people there who are adverse to any kind of change, the tendency to add more bureaucracy and complexity and cost to even the most basic things... I don't have much hope it will be any different 4 years from now.

erika

TRIBE Member
Uber shady? WTF? I've lived in San Francisco, Chicago, and currently live in LA... some of the largest markets for the company. The service is incredible - clean new cars, efficient pickups, friendly drivers and far more cost effective than alternatives. My wife feels far more comfortable taking an Uber late at night than calling a taxi.

Their driver rating system ensures that you have the opportunity to only ride with highly rated drivers with large numbers of independent customer reviews, and customer service/dispute resolution is fantastic.

If you talk to the drivers, most of them love their jobs.

Honestly I don't understand Tribe sometimes. It's the first website to want to shove it to "the man," but then defends shady, money-making pyramid schemes like taxi licenses?

Ooooooh I get it. Tory is a baby eating conservative so if he likes something it must be bad.
Sorry, Travis, but I'm boycotting Uber

Primavera

TRIBE Member
It will be interesting to see if Tory can actually change anything at city hall (on any issue). The entrenched self perpetuating city Councillors, the administrative people there who are adverse to any kind of change, the tendency to add more bureaucracy and complexity and cost to even the most basic things... I don't have much hope it will be any different 4 years from now.
This.

I'd love to see Tory reverse this. Not just because I like the idea of Uber/UberX but more because I'll like to see if Tory can actually reverse some sort of the bureaucratic bullshit/nanny state crap that the City pushes forward.

He will be officially Mayor on December 1st / only 12 more days until Ford isn't officially Mayor!!! :)

Let's see how Tory handles this.