1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Banning pesticide caused bed bug boom

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by <FresHFunK>, Aug 17, 2010.

1. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

2. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

Put DDT in our drinking water!
  3. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

way to go, enviros! You ruined everything, you big ruiner.
  4. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

The Google ads in this thread are bugging me
  5. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

im happy to report that i think the bed bug i found in my room was a false alarm.
    bed bugs are one of the reasons i dont want to move back to toronto.
    I dont think its just the lack of DDT that caused it, I think its the rise in immigrants from countries with bedbugs, the rise in population in general, and the rise in people travelling for business and bringing them back, and of course our lack of knowledge about them in the first place, and people embarassment that allowed to the spread so quickly and vastly.
    I do think and DDT nuke bomb needs to dropped on the major cities to rid us of these critters, I firmly believe they could be the cause of us all turning into zombies at some point, and of course the end of humanity.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  6. mandapanda

mandapanda TRIBE Member

at the height of my bedbug paranoia last year, i called my mom and she was like "oh we had them when i was younger. we just went out and they sprayed the house with DDT and then they were gone."

if only it were that easy! i am terrified of getting them.
  7. The Kid

The Kid TRIBE Member

what ads are showing?
  8. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Environmentalists caused this shit? We have them in our building. IN retaliation I will be throwing all plastic/paper/glass straight into Lake Ontario instead of recycling. Crew you Environmentalists.

I'm also starting an anti-carpooling movement at work.
  9. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Fuck bed bugs, Grubs have totally destroyed my perfectly manicured front lawn.

I paid 30$ for a tiny bit of some live bugs to kill the other bugs but it didn't work very well.

I am so pissed after spending so much money on lawn care services only to have it wasted by regulated bullshit.
  10. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

Since we're on the topic of damn environmentalists...

I'm going to the US this weekend and bringing back the most powerful weed killer I can find.
  11. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

HAHAAHA can't wait for the headlines: "Toronto man stopped at border with ingredients for home made bombs"
  12. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

Kill the fuckers with DE Earth.( food grade, not the pool grade) I have some just in case my dogs picks up something, but you can sprinkle this stuff onto your bed. You can't breath it in so sprinkle it onto the mattress then put one of those zipped up covers over the mattress before you put your sheets on.

Fresh water, food grade diatomaceous earth
  13. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Eye did an article on this back around '05. Their reasoning was that in TO and elsewhere the in North America, the modern bedbug explosion took root in the homeless shelters. Bedbug bites are painful and can become infected, but since the bugs and their bites do not intrinsically spread a virus/disease, bedbug infestations did not qualify for emergency extermination. Of course the shelters can't afford to constantly do that...

...so our society's disregard of issues at it's 'lowest' level has come back to bite it in the ass, and everywhere else
  14. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

So what you're saying is that we can blame the spread of bedbugs on the city's success at getting homeless out of shelters and into affordable apartments, thereby solving the homeless problem but compounding the bedbug problem? I blame David Miller.
  15. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

I blame your reading comprehension skills for coming to that particular conclusion. No, it's not about affordable apartments, it's that the situation took root in the homeless shelters, which people sometimes slept in and sometimes didn't. When they didn't sleep in the shelters, they often would carry the bedbugs to new environments that would become infested.

Hey, Toronto's about to elect Rob Fucking Ford for mayor, which means everything will be just awesome forever.
  16. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

where is this magical mystery affordable housing you mentioned?
  17. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

18. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

I found a place on the Danforth for the DE Earth if anybody cares. Grassroots 370 Danforth. They're out of it until next week. Some garden places will sell products with DE in it, don't buy that crap since there's other shit in the ingredients.

The stuff at Grassroots is 100% DE Earth. Food Grade!!

You can wipe this stuff onto your pets if they have fleas or ticks, just make sure you or the pet don't breath it in. If they get a worm you can feed them this stuff too the worms will be gone within 72 hrs. Fuck the chemical crap they sell at the vets. When you feed it to them you have to wet it so they don't breath it in, then just mix it into their food.

for a dog 55lbs and up 1 tablespoon per day .. for a smaller dog who knows I only own big dogs lol the info is out there
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  19. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

Did you get them out of a vending machine. I saw vending machine that sold live bait once, "Guaranteed Fresh".
  20. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

^there is one of those machines less than a block away from where I sit right now.
  21. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

Yea. The environmentalists in our building are a complete nuisance. I say we contaminate compost on the roof tonight with some cut flowers and ground meat, then paint the solar panels crimson.
  22. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

Another reason to hate the homeless!
  23. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i wrote something long, then i deleted it (on purpose). so instead:

24. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Mostly banners for pesticides. It was spot on.