• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Bank of Canada unveils new $100 bill

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
A new $100 bill will begin circulating on March 17.

The Bank of Canada today introduced a note that contains no fewer than four state-of-the-art, anti-counterfeiting features. In a statement, bbank governor David Dodge said Wednesday it's crucial that people have confidence in their currency.

Dodge said the new note will include a metallic holographic stripe, a watermarked portrait, a windowed colour-shifting thread and a see-through number.

The bill, which features former prime minister Robert Borden on the front and maps of Canada on the back, celebrates exploration and innovation.

The bill will be followed by new $20s and $50s later this year.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

KiFe

TRIBE Member
great! i'm sure they will all be some kind of variation between blue and mauve.. just to make all the fucking bills look alike.

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD
Aa note that contains no fewer than four state-of-the-art, anti-counterfeiting features.

you mean there's more? :eek:

some secret, hidden james-bond-type features?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
No, strippers won't take the 100's because if they turn out to be fake, they won't be able to make the payment on their gigantic ripper cans.

(What I mean to say is that one pal told me that the rippers told him to take the 100's to the bar and x-change them to 20's.)

Adam

TRIBE Member
cjs_100f.gif

sassy

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by daddyiwantchocolate
Wicked! A new bill that no store in Ontario will accept.

ha.
It feels like any bill over a $20 is worthless now.

"That'll be $49.74"
*hands cashier $50*
"I'm sorry sir, we don't except $50 bills here"
*sneh?*

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stormshadow

Gino's Pizza across from campus wouldn't take my $50 ... my pizza total was close to $30

Ended up having to debit it, which they conveniently have an extra fee for ...

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
Gino's Pizza across from campus wouldn't take my $50 ... my pizza total was close to $30

Ended up having to debit it, which they conveniently have an extra fee for ...
Times like these you just gotta say fuck it i'll go somewhere else and not let you push me around!

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
From the BANK OF CANADA:

Can a retailer refuse to accept $50 and $100 bank notes as payment?

Answer: The Bank of Canada understands that retailers can refuse bank notes. However, it encourages retailers to consider the impact of this approach on consumer convenience and to pursue counterfeit detection practices rather than refuse particular denominations altogether.

Although the Bank of Canada Act gives the Bank of Canada the sole authority to issue bank notes for circulation in Canada, the Bank of Canada has no control over, or responsibility for, how bank notes are used to settle commercial transactions.

It is our understanding of the general law in this area that a tender of bank notes as payment does not necessarily compel the retailer who is owed money to accept that form of payment. The form of payment which is mutually acceptable to the parties to a transaction appears to us to be essentially a matter of private agreement between those parties. For example, a provider of goods or services could insist on payment by credit card or cheque.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hi i'm God
Times like these you just gotta say fuck it i'll go somewhere else and not let you push me around!

agreed.

I hate paying with debit..

fucking banks! i hate em..

i take out a weeks worth of spending cash and cram it into my mattress ala cartoons...

take what i need for a day.. and no one charges me $1.75+$1.00 ... it's faaking sweet.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Meh I love debit. PC bank = NO fee's, so I'll swipe at any interac machine but if they charge me 1 cent extra that store gets a big F U.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by daddyiwantchocolate
No, strippers won't take the 100's because if they turn out to be fake, they won't be able to make the payment on their gigantic ripper cans.
Hey, if they can entertain me with fake breasts, I should be able to pay with fake bills.

Cheers ... Ian :)