• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Badal...The Documentary

ScottBentley

TRIBE Member
"Palestinian filmmaker Ibitsam Marana explores the tension between tradition and modern life as her aunt attempts to negotiate a badal, a matchmaking process in which two members of one family marry two from another, for her widowed son."

...so I tune into Human Edge on TVO last night, as l do each week (like the card carrying documentary whore that I am) and loved this week's episode...Badal.

Essentially Badal is the way that families in the Middle East marry off a "less desirable" child by insisting on a package deal!

The widow, described above, insists that his eldest daughter be included in the package for any prospective wife for himself b/c she has been turned down by all previous families that they've tried to pawn her off on...for such reasons as: she wasn't dressed well enough when introduced and she is too skinny or short!!! :eek:

I can (barely) wrap my head around the concept of this practise being useful in ancient times but in today's world!?!

Favourite line (paraphrased):

The Widow's Mother..."in the old days, on the wedding night, the bride would have to show her husband's family the blood stained bed sheet as proof that she was a virgin...but not these days, modern weddings are disgraceful!"

it re-airs May15 at 12:02 & May 18 at 1:02...it's worth a watch!

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Interesting. I'd watch this.

I watched a documentary on TVO about kidnapping woman to become potential brides in Siberia or China or somewhere backwards.

They kidnap them, take them home and the family of the kidnappers tries to convince the woman to marry the abductor. Then after a few days if she doesn't want to stay then she is let go. Oddly enough, a large number of woman agree to stay.

HMP

TRIBE Member
PRIMAL said:
Interesting. I'd watch this.

I watched a documentary on TVO about kidnapping woman to become potential brides in Siberia or China or somewhere backwards.

They kidnap them, take them home and the family of the kidnappers tries to convince the woman to marry the abductor. Then after a few days if she doesn't want to stay then she is let go. Oddly enough, a large number of woman agree to stay.
not quite. it's in Kyrgyzstan - central asia, at the crossroads between n. asia and russia. in one of the poorest countries in the world, many of the women probably don't feel their other prospects are better. Still an odious practice, though.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
i wouldnt mind getting hooked up with a nice hot central asian brunette,
but she would have to have alot of camels in her dowry, or no deal.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hamza

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
i wouldnt mind getting hooked up with a nice hot central asian brunette,
but she would have to have alot of camels in her dowry, or no deal.
lol

just got he russian mail order bride route....

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
On any given night, in a small building with a big bright sign near yonge and bloor, there are dozens of eastern europeans who would most likely marry you for citizenship.

Last edited: