• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Bad Jew Roll Call...

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
Well it's another Yom Kippur. I should be fasting and in shule. Instead Im eating a veggie burrito and watching Quantum Leap. I played the Jew-card at work and have the day off but I see this as payment for no easterbasket. Should I feel guilty? Did I want to spend the $60 for a High Holiday pass? (that will make a good dinner tonight) I am a bad Jew.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I played the jew card! Lol

That reminds me, my prof this afternoon immigrated from Israel a few years back.. I wonder if class is happening today considering.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i had big plans to attend Kol Nidre at the First Narayever services held at the downtown JCC last night.
i also had plans to attend this morning.

instead i got a shitty cold/cough thing that has meant being on medication and drinking lots of fluids. it has pretty much ruled out the possibility of me fasting and all that other good 'day of atonement' stuff.

first time i haven't fasted in many many years.
:(

p.s. strangely enough, i also ate a veggie burrito today!

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
I just got back from morning services and went last night for kol needrey (SP?). First year I went in a while. Glad I did though. My fast is going well. but I have a question.

Can your work deny you pay for taking off the holiday?

My office gave me 2 options: both of which I dont agree with

1)take the day off and only get paid for half the day

2)take the morning off and get paid for the full day.

I chose option 2 but I believe this policy is against the law. can anyone clarify?

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
every place i've ever worked i have had to take it off as a vacation day.
in the instance where i didn't have a vacation day available, they gave it to me as a personal day, or as a day without pay.

basically, they don't have to pay you. its fucking annoying.

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
Yea, I dont think they have to pay ya'. Kudos on the fast though.

Im getting over a cold as well, but I would just be using that as an excuse...I should have gone. I'll have to lie to my father, last year I went home for Y. K.

Pretty much the entire city is shut down today cause of the holiday, but Im sure Ill find an Arabmart for a 6er and some bootleg dvds. :p :D

Chaos

TRIBE Member
basically, they don't have to pay you. its fucking annoying.
I don't mean to be pedantic, and frankly, don't care that much, but why do you feel entitled to a *paid* day off when the other 98% of the general public doesn't?

Everybody get's "my" hol(y)days off and I get shit during all the rest.

c.

p.s. Muslim's don't get Eid al-fitr, do they? Thought not.

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JOSHB
Yea, I dont think they have to pay ya'. Kudos on the fast though.

Im getting over a cold as well, but I would just be using that as an excuse...I should have gone. I'll have to lie to my father, last year I went home for Y. K.

Pretty much the entire city is shut down today cause of the holiday, but Im sure Ill find an Arabmart for a 6er and some bootleg dvds. :p :D

Rent a documentary about anorexics... at least then you'll feel like you're fasting vicariously through them.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
chaos, i think the difference is we are FORCED to take christian holidays off. we don't ask to, we just have to.
and then when we need to time to observe our own holidays, we get the shaft.

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Chaos
I don't mean to be pedantic, and frankly, don't care that much, but why do you feel entitled to a *paid* day off when the other 98% of the general public doesn't?

Everybody get's "my" hol(y)days off and I get shit during all the rest.

c.

p.s. Muslim's don't get Eid al-fitr, do they? Thought not.
Actually I just found out that there is case law supporting the fact that they do have to pay you! It was declared discrimination to not. If you have full time employment they have to pay up.

And yes everyone gets your holiday off and you still get paid during it. If we dont observe your holiday its like a forced day off. Our holidays are still valued just because you dont value them doesnt mean we should be discriminated against. The law essentially states that we have the right to be paid just as you do on your holidays.

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Agent Smith
Rent a documentary about anorexics... at least then you'll feel like you're fasting vicariously through them.
good call Colin. How about the one about the Carpenter's?

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hipsterave
Actually I just found out that there is case law supporting the fact that they do have to pay you! It was declared discrimination to not. If you have full time employment they have to pay up.

And yes everyone gets your holiday off and you still get paid during it. If we dont observe your holiday its like a forced day off. Our holidays are still valued just because you dont value them doesnt mean we should be discriminated against. The law essentially states that we have the right to be paid just as you do on your holidays.
Is it really the law? Because I have been working in Canada since the age of 17 and I have yet been paid for the Orthodox Easter.

TribeLurkerGrrl

TRIBE Member
i decided to try fasting today for the first time since I was about 15. Not for religious reasons, but to experience hunger, cuz I take for granted that I can eat whenever I want to.

But I'm losing steam, and keep wanting to hit the kitchen... Not sure I'll make it.

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
Its based on case law from 94 or 95. I just asked my friend who's brother is a rabbi, he is going to get me the name of the case shortly. Apparently since then it is the law but rarely enforced.

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JOSHB
good call Colin. How about the one about the Carpenter's?
Why are anorexics a Carpenter's dream?

Cause they're flat as a board and easy to nail!

*covers head to protect from flying tomatoes

Chaos

TRIBE Member
Our holidays are still valued just because you dont value them doesnt mean we should be discriminated against.
First of all, you can value something and not observe it, I have NO issues with Jewish Holy Days, in fact, quite the opposite.

Second of all, though I see your point BB, being FORCED to take a Holiday that everyone else does seems a moot point, you're not the only one. Forced vacation, lol, that seems almost oxymoronic, but like I said, I do see your point more clearly.

Finally, discrimination? Fuck that noise, IF the Holiday is that important to you, which you clearly make it out to be (and this is directed at Hipster), you should have NO problems taking a personal day in order to observe it, no different than a Muslim on Eid or any other various religious Holiday that falls outside the "legally forced ones".

c.

TribeLurkerGrrl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
its kinda hard to fast when you are sitting at home with food in your kitchen.
go out of your house or take a nap.
Yeah, I'm taking my grandmother for a Yom Kippur manicure in a bit. You know, like they did in Moses' day!

evil homer

TRIBE Member
no shul, but fasting all day
definitely took the day off, nobody wants my yom kippur breath.

watched march of the penguins, took a sinfully long nap (nine-noon), now trying to get some work done.

not only am i not eating, but also cooking chicken soup for my sick lady who went to work today.

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Chaos

Finally, discrimination? Fuck that noise, IF the Holiday is that important to you, which you clearly make it out to be (and this is directed at Hipster), you should have NO problems taking a personal day in order to observe it, no different than a Muslim on Eid or any other various religious Holiday that falls outside the "legally forced ones".

c.
It was reffered to as discrimination in the case law. The case was of 3 Jewish teachers who took off Yom Kippur and the board filed a grievance to dock thier pay. When the courts ruled they said it was discriminatory to do that. It applies to all religions not just Judaism. Everyone in Canada is entitled to their religious days.