• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Bacon Salt info! I had to ask...

kline

TRIBE Member
to: passthebacon@baconsalt.com
date: Oct 23, 2007 1:17 PM
subject: Question about the contents [allergy concern]
mailed-by: gmail.com
Hi guys!

Love the idea that you've come up with here! I love the smell of bacon and all things that go with it... sadly though, I have an allergy that prohibits me from eating any and all red meats and have been reduced to using simulated soy bacon bits on everything where "normal" people would use the real deal.

So my question's kinda simple-- is there any ACTUAL bacon in this or is it all just synthesized? I would love to try it but have to check this out first... I looked on your website but I couldn't find anything relevant to my concern.

Thanks in advance,
Sheldon C.

REPLY:
cc: Dave Lefkow <dave@baconsalt.com>
date: Oct 23, 2007 1:35 PM
subject: RE: Question about the contents [allergy concern]
Hi Sheldon
Thanks for your interest in Bacon Salt. All three of our flavors are 100% vegetarian. The hickory flavor is also vegan (containing absolutely no animal products) the peppered and original only contain a slight bit of dairy (it’s in one of the flavorings).
So go ahead and try some bacon salt! It’s all meat free. I think you’ll love the flavor a lot more than bacon bits (I’m vegetarian and this is the best substitute I have tasted)

Thanks!

Kara
J&D

J&D's Down Home Enterprises
passthebacon@baconsalt.com

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Two problems with this email convo.

1) You claim to be unable to eat bacon because you can't eat red meat. Bacon comes from pork. Pork is white meat.

2) Why in the living fuck is a vegetarian working for a company that attempts to simulate the taste of bacon?

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
It's funny that in his email he elected not to name off any of the ingredients nor point to the ingredients list that you have so astutely pasted here.

EDIT I hate you deep

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Flashy_McFlash said:
Two problems with this email convo.

1) You claim to be unable to eat bacon because you can't eat red meat. Bacon comes from pork. Pork is white meat.

2) Why in the living fuck is a vegetarian working for a company that attempts to simulate the taste of bacon?

pork is red meat.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
montanamo said:
What’s MSG bad for anyway, cause I love the stuff.
It's has been linked to obesity, neurodegenerative disorders, and other generally undesirable crap. It's usually added to a product to 'enhance flavour' which usually means that the product's real flavour sucks, and more importantly, there was likely little thought put into the product's nutritional quality. It's just a good general rule to not consume food that contains it although it's impossible to totally avoid.

kline

TRIBE Member
i didn't get linked to the main page when i was looking around the site-- didn't notice it on the homepage in the bottom right corner.

as for bacon being "white" meat... it isn't. white meat is typically anything that isn't born... it's hatched. ergo, seafood and poultry is fine whereas cow/lamb/pork isn't. i'll stand by my doctor's dietary standards over those nay-sayers on here.

*awaits further banter*

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Why is Pork a "Red" Meat?
Oxygen is delivered to muscles by the red cells in the blood. One of the proteins in meat, myoglobin, holds the oxygen in the muscle. The amount of myoglobin in animal muscles determines the color of meat. Pork is classified a "red" meat because it contains more myoglobin than chicken or fish. When fresh pork is cooked, it becomes lighter in color, but it is still a red meat. Pork is classed as "livestock" along with veal, lamb and beef. All livestock are considered "red meat."
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Pork_from_Farm_to_Table/index.asp

http://www.slashfood.com/2007/02/14/heritage-pork-the-other-red-meat/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4088824.stm

Pork is red meat.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
deep said:
Has anyone told the Pork Marketing Council? Cause their whole "The Other White Meat" campaign just went tits up
read the slashfood article I posted above...
they are modifying the pigs' diets like crazy to make them extremely lean, to have as much fat as a chicken. But pork is a red meat.