1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

backing up Vinyl?

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by Bull Go Ki, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Bull Go Ki

Bull Go Ki TRIBE Member

I plan on backing up my vinyl to mp3's - does anyone have any suggestions as to what the best way to go about this is?

This will take a while to go through - so i might as well do it right the first time.

2. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

I'm in the process of converting all my vinyl to digital for Serato use and my mistakes will be your advantage:

#1 - unless you have a high-end mixer like a Rane or an Allan & Heath, forgo your mixer and purchase a dedicated pre-amp for your turntable

#2 - use one of those old rubber mats to record - don't use a dj slipmat

#3 - buy a dedicated audiophile needle with a good frequency response - don't use a DJ needle

#4 - use a good, dedicated soundcard

#5 - Record in 24 or 32 bit if possible - dither down to 16 bit if it's intended for Serato use or CDs

I have to re-record a bunch of my best tracks as I used a bunch of methods that didn't provide optimal quality.

3. Bull Go Ki

Bull Go Ki TRIBE Member

good looking on out on those tips. i went to moog on the way home. Serious had the same advice - one thing he failed to mention was the rubber mat tip..thanks, makes total sense.

quick question: the main purpose for backing up vinyl is for Serato use. does saving at 16bit effect the quality at all, especially over a banging system?

4. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

see, i had the same question - most say it shouldn't be a huge problem, but the analogy I've heard is that it's the difference between taking a picture at a higher resolution and saving it at a small size - gives you a bit more headroom to work with.

note that Serato does not support more than 44khz/16-bit so your 24-bit files will not work on serato.

5. Bull Go Ki

Bull Go Ki TRIBE Member

thanks for the tip man - you totally saved me many hours of time.

6. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

serato.

7. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Also make sure you have the correct weight on your needle. There's no need to have it jacked to full, set it up properly. There's directions on the net on how to do this.

Ortofon have just started making a needle specifically geared towards ripping vinyl, it might be worth checking out. However, there are lots of other needles out there that are just fine.

The other thing I'd say is that you could probably get better sound for a reasonable price out of a used audiophile belt drive turntable. Direct drive is good for DJs who need the torque but are crap for sound quality.

8. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

9. SolChild

SolChild TRIBE Promoter

According to many installers including Shorty and GSA, the best needles for ripping vinyl is the Grado Prestige Gold & Silver and The Grado DJ 200, the Prestige is not a DJ cartrige so dont go DJ Craze on it!, but it does sound good.

http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

10. gl*tch

gl*tch TRIBE Member

Anyone used the Grado Prestige Gold & Silver and/or The Grado DJ 200?.

Know where I can get 'em in Toronto?

Any other suggestions for needles used to rip old vinyl for use w/ digital djing?

11. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

Just set up your shit properly and record to 24 bit. You're likely ripping generic disposable dance music. Don't over think it, no need to buy a new audiophile needle for 150 bucks, unless youre rolling in dough.

12. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

Around Again on Baldwin sells some decent cartridges. They might have Grados.

They sell the Nagaoka MP-11 for $75 or so. It's sweet little unit.

13. pash

pash TRIBE Member

...there's a few points I didn't see mentioned...

1. Use a vinyl brush to clean each record before recording. Depending on how clean/dirty your vinyls are - you may need a stylus brush to clean off the needle after every dozen or so recordings.

2. Post processing can help you clean up the sound. Ie you can remove needle 'hiss' with a de-esser plugin. Bias Soundsoap is a pretty decent all in one plugin to get the job done - im sure there are plenty others out there.

14. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

some other common sense things worth mentioning:

1. a crappy turntable is noisy. the platter will rattle, the compenents will add to the noise floor, etc. that means your track will be quieter than it should be. and when you boost the levels, that high noise floor gets boosted too. a solid deck like a 1200 is best. take it for me...heh

2. don't blast your monitors/speakers or breakdance while you're recording. the needle will pick up the noise in the room and the rumble of the floor.

3. if the tracks are available in digital shops online, its still worth the $1.50 to just buy it, and forget about record that vinyl.

15. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

maybe audio oasis on queen east just before coxwell. but they're open approximately 2.5 hours a week. :D

16. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

what encoder do you plan on using?
    also, are you going with a variable bitrate or a constant bitrate?
    This can have a dramatic effect on your final sound

17. gl*tch

gl*tch TRIBE Member

I use Sony Soundforge and depending on my mood either to WAV or 320 mp3