1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Back-packing India

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by xyz2003, Aug 31, 2003.

1. xyz2003

xyz2003 TRIBE Member

I'm going backpacking in India for 6-7 weeks in 2 weeks time. I have never backpacked before. I'm open for tips from others who have back-packed before, especially Southeast Asia.

Your help is much appreciated.

2. litespeed

litespeed Well-Known TRIBEr

make sure everyone knows that you're NOT American. ;)

3. Imajica

Imajica TRIBE Member

a 6-7 week excurtion on your first backpaking expidition? Wow. . you're a brave little soul!

I suppose the best advice is that everything you pack is weight. You have to be really tough on yourself. If possbile get an expierenced multi-day backpacker to help you go through your pack before you leave.

Have fun, and remeber to keep smiling cause its the journey that matters not whats at the end of it.

lifesavers. .
    Duck tape!
    tiger balm!
    ganja!
    they'll keep you moving

4. erikwh

erikwh TRIBE Member

I got to meet alot of people after putting a canadian flag on my pack

^^^ ok it is lame but worth it

ganja may be good but getting into trouble with the law in a foreign country is BAD. when packing if you are unsure as if you need it or not bring it. you can ditch stuff along the way.... easier to throw things out than to have to look for them.

several cameras

i guess a pocket dictionary and phrase book

good luck

5. slingshot

slingshot TRIBE Member

don't go

ss

6. xtollo

xtollo TRIBE Member

backpacking is a fucking joke, as long as you have one crucial thing...

MONEY.

Everyone speaks that language when you're in help.

7. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

dude!
    you've never been backpacking before and you're going to INDIA?

thats pretty bold.

as for advice, (other than to get your feet wet in an easier part of the world first) be super duper vigilant about food and cleanliness.
    NO ICE, no tap water, no fruit that was washed in tap water.
    you can get really, really sick really, really easily.

are you travelling alone or with someone?

8. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

i've got a few brown brovahs from other mothahs....

if you be whitey.....

in the north, people see you they see dollar signs and your liable to get robbed, mugged, kidnapped n' what not....

be careful

that's what i heard i could be wrong....

'G

9. xyz2003

xyz2003 TRIBE Member

I guess the only thing preventing me from being robbed/mugged is that I'm a brown brovah too. But I don't speak the language, so I might get screwed. Does anyone know any web sites about backpacking in India?

10. boost

boost TRIBE Member

LP

If you don't check out:

www.lonelyplanet.com

you're silly.

I'd recommend looking at/buying their printed book as well.

I'll be heading there in January too. Have an awesome trip.

11. Gizmo

Gizmo TRIBE Member

If you're taking any excursions always use the government agencies. They're a bit more expensive, but always have their rooms in order, and deliver what they promise.

Up North:

Garwal Vikas Mandal Nigam. They offer treks to the Himalayas. They're based out of Rishikesh with a bunch of tours originating from there or Hardwar. This is a government service that any travel agency there should be able to tell you about. Places I'd advise seeing are Badrinath, Kedarnath, Hemkhund, Valley of Flowers, Gangotri. Badrinath is accessible by road. All the other sites require journeying by foot. These sites have a lot of religious significance to Hindu's, so there'll always be people, but the scenery is amazing.

Your time for getting up to the Himalayas is running out. They shut down most of the sites by Mid-October, or when the first serious snow fall comes down. However Rishikesh is open year round and worth checking out.

I don't know what your aims are for India. Whether you want to party it up. Then stay in Delhi, Bombay (Mumbai). But it gets mighty expensive in the cities. (E.g. 7 bucks a shot at one of the big clubs) Also, at the Bar, order Johnny Walker Black or Blue Label. You'll fit right in ;)

A lot of travel guides reccomend Himanchal Pradesh and Sikkim. As a first time trekker, who doesn't speak any Indian languages, I'd say avoid them. They're beautiful and the supply of drugs is plentiful, but you need to be in a group and you need to speak at least Hindi to get by. Some tourists have dissapeared there over the years.

If you want to check more of the history, then go to Agra. You can do a day trip from Delhi. Jaipur in Rajasthan is the bomb and one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

If you go to Jaipur in Rajasthan, go to the Ranthambore Tiger Reserve. Good shit. There are other tiger reserves in the North of the Country. In order of size, Sundarbans, Corbett National Park, Dudwha, Ranthambore, Kanha, Valmiki and Vanpadha. This time of year your best bet of seeing the tigers is Kanha and Ranthambore. Avoid the Sundarbans as even though they have the largest population, they have a serious man-eating problem.

South of the Country: Karnataka and Kerala are beautiful. Haven't done much travelling in the South as I'm a northerner from Delhi and it's essentially two separate countries. People in the South speak English so you should be fine. Goa is worth seeing, although I think it's a lot of hype. Have your wits about you. A lot of people live there just to rip people off.

You'll find Indians amongst the friendliest and most helpful people in the world (outside of Delhi - where you're expected to be rude, I love it) But ask the right people for help. (e.g. shop keepers, people who live there) Some tourists do get ripped off because they don't ask people from the region. Like I said earlier, use govt. agency sponsored ventures wherever possible, even if they are a bit more expensive.

Food - 50% of going for holiday in India is the food. Just avoid the street vendors. If you want a list of the most bomb ass places to eat for cheap in Delhi, Calcutta, and Bombay PM me.

12. xyz2003

xyz2003 TRIBE Member

Gizmo, you rock! From surfing the net on this topic, most people talk about where to visit etc... But where can I find out where to stay? How much I should be paying, etc...? What I'm worried about is, what do I do after landing? How do I find a hostel/hotel? If I ask the cabby, I'm probably inclined to get taken for a ride???

13. boost

boost TRIBE Member

Dude, like I said, BUY A GUIDEBOOK.

Get it now. Read it now. You can be spontaneous, but a little planning will help you make the most out of your trip.

I find it very strange that you're leaving in two weeks and haven't done so already!

14. Gizmo

Gizmo TRIBE Member

Pre-paid taxis are available from every airport and train station in India. Pre-paid buses as well.

What kind of money are you looking to spend for accomodation. Do you want to stay in a hostel or can you do hotels?

In Delhi, (I assume you're landing there) there are a lot of hostels around the Janpath and Connaught place area.

There are a couple of decent three stars like the Ambassador.

And then of course the 5 stars like the Sheraton, Hyatt, Taj Oberoi etc.

15. Gizmo

Gizmo TRIBE Member

xyz,

I tried to reply to your PM, but you've got your options set to not receive PMs.

Anyway the itinerary looks solid. I haven't been to Southern Indian all that much so can't offer much input about it.

16. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

India is a bold first step.

I'm sure you'll love it.

And be sure that I am jealous.

Tomorrow I will sell another chunk of my soul to work. Again. I slowly become less this way.

-jM
    A&D

17. jester

jester TRIBE Member

i am all about street vendors, though i'm not in India yet. and just two days ago i met a couple of German guys who had been travelling all over Thailand drinking only TAP WATER. they were trying to 'get their stomachs used to it'. i tried to remind them that even the locals usually boil their water first, but they didn't want to hear it.

18. swilly

swilly TRIBE Member

pack everything you think you will need and then get rid of half of it. especailly clothes.

pack imodium last thing you want to do is end up in the hosiptal

stay away from eggs left out over the day they may look and taste nice but trust me it is not worth it.

dont try to shag any of the cows over there they are sacred i think and dont like it when foriegners come over and shag them ... that much anyways

swilly