1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

B-rated dinner night

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Snuffy, May 12, 2010.

1. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

When my Mom wasn't home and Dad was forced to cook, it was wieners and boiled potatoes (garnished with margarine, salt, and pepper). As I get older, the thought of eating that just seems so odd.

Nowadays, my typical b-rated dinner night involves throwing some frozen veggies into a bowl with a pack of Mr. Noodles and zapping it all. If I'm lucky, I'll have some frozen shrimp to add.

2. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

weiners and boiled potatoes sound good. Especially if they're little fresh potatoes.

3. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

Hey, frozen veggies and Mr Noodles is a great 'I don't wanna cook' dinner. Especially if you throw some frozen shrimp (pre-oil slick) in there as well....

4. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

from the What's For Supper thead

Me Mum's World Renowned Casserole

Your Old Man was on the right track, a couple of minor tweeks and he could've had his own cooking show!

5. Penny Lane

Penny Lane TRIBE Member

When I dont have time to cook supper it's usually breakfast for dinner. Eggs, bacon, toast, and tomato slices.

6. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

I love breakfast for dinner (aka Brinner), but really anything with bacon is A game material to me.

7. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

wow your non cook meals are pretty extravagant, thats like full on major cooking to me.

grilled cheese in the snatchmaster ftw!!
    take 2 pieces of bread, put cheese in middle, put in snatchmaster, garnish with ketchup, voila.

my dad would also make scrambled eggs with tomatoes on toast. its one of the only things i know how to cook.

8. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

I would have figured "snatchmaster" referred to something else...

9. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Grilled Cheese + Tomato Soup! Completed with a nice big dill pickle!

I like mr noodle as well but I go with scallions, mushrooms, shrimp if available, a few drops of fish sauce and sesame oil, maybe some asian hot sauce garnished with cilantro.

I also invented the wildly popular "Frozen Burrito Salad". 97 cent Frozen burritos cooked as per package instructions. Cut artfully on the bias and put in a bowl over rice topped with cheese and salsa, microwave again to heat the rice and melt cheese. Top with sour cream, fresh salsa (diced tomatoes, peppers, purple onions, cucmber, jalapenos, little bit of olive oil and lime juice), scallions, pickled jalapenos and cilantro. Sounds complicated but it's all stuff that's usually sitting in my fridge leftover and premade.

10. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

lol, my dad used to have me boil weiners when my mom wasn't home.

my b-rated meal is beans (canned) and weiners, i sure do take after my dad.

11. [SQUARE]

[SQUARE] TRIBE Member

Back in the days that I ate dairy I would make white cheddar mac and cheese and throw in some broccoli and spinach. That way you can almost pretend that its a healthy meal.

12. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Me too!!!!

13. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

YES!

This is my go-to meal when I've got no time for cooking. Sometimes it's tuna melts instead of grilled cheese. Plus I've made up a tomato soup recipe that takes 5 minutes and the girls just love.

Beans and toast is also awesome. *adds beans and toast to shopping list*

14. ian

ian TRIBE Member

My Mom was in the hospital for a long time when I was little. We ate a *lot* of "boil a bag" Salisbury steak dinners. Then my Dad discovered how easy it is to make a roast. We then ate a *lot* of roast beef.

I have only really started liking roast beef again in the past few years.

15. ian

ian TRIBE Member

You know, I actually googled "snatchmaster" expecting it to be a real thing. What the hell are you on about Dirts?

16. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

yes. with potatoes and carrots around it. i love one pot cooking! i'm also a sucker for a decent casserole.

17. OutcastTO

OutcastTO TRIBE Member

replace "snatch" with "snack"...et voila.

18. derek

derek TRIBE Member

when my mom was tired from work it was weiners and beans, or tuna cassorle.

two comfort foods.

19. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

My Mom would always default to eggs. Boiled egg and toast and a cup of tea. Scrambled egg and onion on toast and tea.

20. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Pho restaurant, frozen pizza or frozen Lick's veggie burger.

21. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Umm...."B"-Rated means BBQ people!

Burgers/Hot Dogs/Chicken/Anything!

22. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

With the way you write that, it almost seems like you were sick of roast beef, lol. That can't be possible.

23. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

poverty pasta
    boil some noodles
    boil some cream of whatever soup, then add cooked noodles...bam, delicious and easy!

24. ian

ian TRIBE Member

That's exactly what I'm saying. Weird, but totally possible if you have it enough. The only thing I can't get sick of is Stella Artois it seems.

25. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

This. Grilled Cheese Pwns Everyone. Easiest hangover food ever.