• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

B.L.I.M. & 10sui on tour in august

Draco

TRIBE Member
10sui
[TCR, Botchit & Scarper, london uk] http://www.tcr.uk.com

available August 15th - 18th

B.L.I.M.
[TCR, Track Recordings, Hooj Choons, london uk] http://www.tcr.uk.com

available August 21st-Sept 1st

Please contact
Josh @ Release Artist Management
www.releasedjs.com
info@releasedjs.com

***artist request forms are available on the web at www.releasedjs.com

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by dj Red Turtle
Someone bring in 10Sui... shes hot!! :D

10sui_2.jpg

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Backbreakers

TRIBE Promoter
taken from Breaksworld

By Marty Wirth
May 2002

Considered by many to be the first lady of breaks, 10 Sui aka Tracie Storey has developed into a genre leader as both a deejay and a producer, regardless of gender. Darin McFayden aka Freq Nasty foretold her success in 2000 when he said that, "there are precious few DJs who play more quality music that holds the floor without resorting to the obvious than 10 Sui. Breakbeat and electro are in safe hands and her own productions will only heighten her rep."

Listening to her talk about her music, one can easily look back a decade and see why she got into music in the first place and, furthermore, see that not a thing has changed.

"I started going out when I was 16 and that was like 10 years ago. Then friends started getting decks so we were going out partying and I was like, 'Wow', this was my thing and I couldn't imagine not been involved in music".

Initially, getting involved in the blanket saturation that was house music, it soon became obvious that she intended to go where natural progression would take her.

"I didn't realise it at the time but when I was going out at the time, it was always the more breakbeat-orientated house music, so when breakbeat came along it was like, that's what I've been into anyway, that's what had always resonated with me. I was spinning at home and it wasn't like 'I wanna become a DJ', but just something that happened. I think you can tell if it happens in any other way, to want to be a DJ for any other reason is kind off strange."

Having being part of the dance music explosion of the early 1990s, Tracie views the rise of breaks over the past two years with great interest.

"What's happening with breaks now can be compared to what happened in 1991 when dance music went out and exploded, in parties and raves. And I think breaks is doing this 10 years on, just in a more controlled way. Breaks was always going to be big, it has influences from so many different genres - techno, electro and even trance sounds, hip hop beats, and house and tribal flavours. Everyone can find something in the sound or the beat that they relate to. Even when you don't consider the brilliant finished product of breaks in its own right, its success was going to be a lot more widespread than, say, when drum 'n' bass first came onto the scene".

"Eventually I hope it will match house and trance… I hope so, 'cause I really don't like trance at all and it's fucking huge. I think it has the capability but it could take a fair while before it started to match it with the larger genres".

Reading a 10 Sui bio reads something like the tale of a label nomad, having worked with Botchit & Scarper, Ninja Tune, Warp and TCR.

"I think its reflective of the variety in the areas of the music I'm producing. I couldn't say that I am just into the techier stuff nor the more bassline stuff, coz I really like the oldskool-like 2-steppy breakbeat style, but also produce the techier, more melodic, bit darker kind of style. So I don't really want to tie myself down to one style… that's not really me. Basically, I was associated with Ninja Tune a few years ago, I never released anything on Ninja Tune, just DJed for them and did their radio. I am more associated with TCR and Botchit."

Getting hired by TCR to mix a CD on their 'TCR 50' release ensured the 10 Sui skill was finally seen by those that had somehow managed to avoid her turntable skills, which Kid Koala once described as "rearranging furniture in your ear".

"TCR 50 was really good ... basically TCR is one of the best breakbeat labels and one of the most famous as well, so it really put me on the map in a more significant way.. [and] kind of validated what I was doing on a personal level as well."

Watching 10 Sui's set in Sydney, I am struck by how busy she is behind the decks, with her electro breakbeat feel making her stand out from the sound of the night (she played with Stanton Warriors, FreQ Nasty and Kid Kenobi).

"That's part of my roots, the oldskool, electro and electronica. I used to do stuff with Warp Records and a lot of those acts and labels influenced those sounds. I like my set to be my sound not just my records. I'm very much into all the channels, the gains, all the effects, just to add a little of a live element to what I'm doing as well. I do like to tweak a tune to the point of subtlety where you may not even know that I'm doing it sometimes."

Although not the basis of her success, it is worthwhile noting that 10 Sui's success has been in a genre where only a few deejays are female and, of those, even less produce.

"There aren't that many females in DJing, period. Let alone in breaks, look at any of the genres and you'll see that there always far more guys doing it. It's so fucking competitive. It [being female] has got its advantages and its disadvantages. It's not an easy path to take because there is so much competition. Basically, it isn't easy but that's more the nature of the business than being female. It's not like guys DJing have it easy…its all really fucking competitive. I don't have another option though because I can't even contemplate doing something else, so I just battle out the tough times and enjoy the good ones. Coming to somewhere like Australia is fucking amazing and makes all those long days sitting in the studio where you are struggling to make ends meet, worthwhile".

Tracie has primarily been known as a DJ but is increasingly moving into the production fold.

"We've got tunes, we've been producing quite a few things… it just takes time, people only see them when they come out but it just takes time for them to come out. I've been working on tunes the whole time, and am trying to carve out a niche that is formed around my own style rather than go where someone else has been for the past three years. In a DJ set I can always go down a number of genres. I could go down the techy hard route, a more electro-inspired set, or bring the oldskool sounds. I kind of want to hold that same quality in my production".

On being asked whom she thinks is taking breaks forward, Tracie responds that, "Adam Freeland is doing a really good job of getting the breakbeat sound more into the foreground into the sort of comnmercial sort of things, Rennie [Pilgrem] is very much carving out a niche in the more tribally house breakbeat tip, along with Mark Pember [Meat Katie] and BLIM. Everyone's doing there own thing at the moment and there's lots of good tracks coming out because of it. Also Koma & Bones, I really fucking rate what they do".

I'm chatting to Tracie during her third trip to Australia in three years. We are lucky enough to witness her next Australian tour in July, in conjunction with local breaks label Nine09.

"Everyone is really enthusiastic here and everyone that does it here is there for the right reasons, and big respect to people like Kid Kenobi who really works at taking it forward and makes possible for us to make it go off when we come out. We don't hear a lot of Australian breaks overseas, just Nubreed and Andy page. Would be good to hear more actually."

Tracie describes herself as a DJ who produces, rather than a producer who DJs, a definition she is going to find hard to defend in light of her impending release schedule

"I've got a track with Tamsin, 'Transcendance', on the '4 Vini' album on Botchit; a 10 Sui remix of 'Irresistible' coming out on Holland's Moving Target Recordings; a 10 Sui remix of 'Gospel According to Mant', which is a track by New Zealand's Salmonella Dub outfit, which will be on Virgin; [and] a 10 Sui vs Dub Species (aka West Palm Beach, Florida's Freakin crew) track, 'LSD', which comes with the original mix and a mix with Draco and Scott Weiser from Jackal and Hyde". Phew!

10 Sui plays live on www.groovetech.com every second Wednesday of the month 4-7pm GMT, and writes a monthly column in Sydney's free weekly '3D World', which appears online at www.threedworld.com.au. You can also check www.elitemm.co.uk, www.thefatclub.com and www.tcr.uk.com for more info about 10 sui, including upcoming DJ dates which will include gigs in the USA and Australia before year's end.