1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Azari & III at Wrongbar

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by erika, Sep 19, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Were just so ON
    And anytime Cedric was up there it was so insanely good
    These guys are putting the most interesting stuff out there today from my perspective.
    My dream show would be the Makeover opening for them.

(mrtunes can add all kinds of intelligent music notes ;) )

2. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

no he can't - it was 4am last call :)

They were really good. It was my first time seeing them and I was impressed.

The turning point party with quantic before was also lots of fun. Very solid Saturday night. I always enjoy the diverse world of music in the city.

3. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Yes we were incredibly spoiled last night with those two parties - and there were all kinds of other options too - we ARE lucky :)

4. le bricoleur

le bricoleur TRIBE Member

deep techno.

5. gl*tch

gl*tch TRIBE Member

I’ve been following their releases for the past couple of years and yet I was never able to check ‘em out in person. They make great throwback/retro-sounding/warehouse acid house and techno and have a knack for capturing both the spirit and arrangement of early 90s dance tunes.

It’s been ages since I’ve visited Wrongbar and I arrived a little early in hopes of playing a pinball game however, I was shocked to find the old clunker was replaced with Michael Jackson Moonwalker with a 3 player cabinet no less! Me and a couple of friendly strangers battled our way to level 5 listening to the sounds of local dj Ali Black on warmup duty: deep, acid and retro-sounding throwback tech house. He did a good job though I found that the set just kind of plodded along – the trials of the warm-up spot eh?

Azari + III performed a 4 turn table set, Alixander on Serato and 2 techs and Azari using cdjs. They did a pretty good job of going back and forth although the set felt kind of rambling and aimless at times. Deep, warehouse-y, early 90s sounding acid tech house punctuated by moments of quirk and dark chords. It was interesting, but I felt like the energy levels had kind of stalled and the music just drifted along . Perhaps sensing the lagging energy, part-time collaborators Fritz Helder and Syf grabbed the mics and inflected much-needed sass and lyrics to help engage the crowd. Speaking of which, a very mixed crowd of film-fest goers, 4am drinkers, and heads, led to a packed – but danceable – dance floor.

Overall, it was a decent show and I had fun groovin’ out. IMHO, I guess I was expecting more variation in the music over the course of the night as I find a whole night of moody throwback warehouse / acid house a bit hard to sustain my own energy on the floor. That said, I’d still love to see them perform live!

6. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I didn't get there until just around 2, so the two hours I caught were just fine for me (and I got all the vocals that way :)).

7. erika

erika TRIBE Member

same show different planets :p