• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Avoidance behaviour

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I just skipped out on X-mas lunch for the department.

Hopefully, by the time of re-opening in a couple of weeks, nobody will remember. I'm quite expert at avoidance behaviours such as this...

Of course, now I'm going to be paranoid for the next two weeks, since we all had to pack up our desks and "take home any personal items", purportedly because they are putting in new carpet... hmmmm... oh, and moving the cubicles 18" over... hmmmm...

seeker

TRIBE Member
now when you come back in the New Year you can look forward to everyone saying how different the office looks, when really it's the same, just 18" to the left.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I always wondered why the paint job in the place was so horrendous: mismatched colours, each wall a different bright or pukey colour.

I recently found out that the old owners, after selling, decided to use up cans of old crappy paint... just to fuck things up-- how childish is that? Funny, but childish.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Exposure therapy is not effective in treating Complex PTSD (Disorders of Extreme Stress Not Otherwise Specified [DESNOS]), and in fact, can be counter-productive.

Since in the past, the interpersonal trauma experienced by the victim tended to occurr in contexts where the rules were unclear, under secret circumstances, and in contexts where issues of responsibility were often murky, patients will be exquisitely sensitive to issues of rules, boundaries, contracts and mutual responsibilities and often interpret minor frustrations as a return to past insults. Rather than understanding uncomfortable sensations as memories that are the result of having been triggered by some current event, they act as if restorative action in the present environment could alter the way they feel. Inexperienced therapists often take on the challenge to ameliorate the past by providing restorative experiences in the present. This usually leads to a repetition, rather than a resolution of the trauama.

In other words, I am justified in not going to the lunch.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I didn't go to one of my office lunches because it was Monday morning and I wanted to sleep till 3. I went in the next shift and they asked, "where were you?"
I said, "Um, I live across town and you want me to wake up to have lunch with my coworkers? I was watching Kill Bill in bed, sorry."

I also missed another office Christmas party because, well, I had better things to do. Like sitting at home with a cup of tea and a magazine. I mean, COME ON. Am I the only one who doesn't care to socialize? I see them every week. Why make the effort?

I would go if any of them were open-bar. Of course, that doesn't happen in TPL.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
To socialize with coworkers in a non-work setting?

Raises morale. Creates good relations between management levels. Lets the subordinates that they care.

What's funny is every branch that I have been to has had the same box of chocolates sent to them. One branch mistakenly received 3 from three senior level managers. How personal is that.

I bet they had a meeting to discuss whether it was gonna be Pot of Gold or Black Magic.

Suckers.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by mr tall
if there isn't booze, what's the point ?
I'm reminded of a certain X-mas party from years back, when two of my coworkers held me back as I drunkenly rambled that "if I could reach you, I'd choke you to death" to my boss.

Good times!

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit