• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Aviation Flu Hits Canada

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Top story on google news Canada.

H7 avian flu outbreak found in B.C.

Amy Carmichael
Canadian Press

Thursday, February 19, 2004
ADVERTISEMENT

VANCOUVER (CP) _ A case of Avian flu has stricken a chicken flock at a Lower Mainland farm where health officials were monitoring workers.

The outbreak has been caused by an H7 influenza subtype, which is not the form of avian influenza ravaging poultry stocks in Asia.

"It's isolated at this time. There's no link with human health at this moment,'' Health Minister Pierre Pettigrew said Thursday.

"I can tell you that things are really under control at this time.''

British Columbia's provincial health officer also urged people to remain calm, saying indications are that the strain found in the B.C. flock is a relatively mild one that won't harm people or food production.

H7 avian influenza is the form of the virus that was discovered in poultry flocks in Delaware and live bird markets in New Jersey last week. The subtype sweeping through Asia is a high pathogenicity H5N1 virus.

An Agriculture Canada official said virus samples are currently being tested and full subtype information will be available Friday.

It is not currently known if the strain in the British Columbia outbreak is a low or high pathogenicity form. High pathogenicity influenza viruses kill virtually all chickens they infect.

"If it's low pathogenicity, this happens quite often in chicken flocks,'' said influenza expert Dr. Danuta Skowronski of the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control.

"The question is, is it the low pathogenicity as in the U.S. or could it be high pathogenicity, such as was found in the Netherlands last year? And that information is still pending.

"But it's certainly not H5N1, which was my greatest concern.''

Provincial health officer Perry Kendall said even if it is the more virulent H7 strain, the virus is mild and the risk to human health is very low.

"This is the H7 strain found many times before in chicken flocks. Depending on whether it's a virulent strain there's a slight possibility of human interaction. That's happened in Europe but not yet in the United States.''

Kendall said the sick chickens are being slaughtered to protect the rest of the animals at the farm. He confirmed that no tainted chicken products were sent out for human consumption.

"There's no need to modify your behaviour. If you like eggs, go on eating eggs. If you enjoy chickens, eat chickens.''

Farmers should be monitoring their flocks for the disease, which hits local chickens every two to three years. That means most are familiar with it and know what to report to health officials when they see egg production dropping and birds dying.

But he asked people not to over-react.

"This is considered quite mild illness quite common occurrence. It's not even routinely reportable in the mild form in Canada. The enhanced surveillance and the awareness means we're paying perhaps more attention than we would have last year.''

The virus lives in wild birds and can pass easily to chickens via excrement dropped on farms.

Background information on Avian Influenza (Center for Disease Control)

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

squirrely

TRIBE Member
this sentence is so odd to me:

"If you enjoy chickens, eat chickens.''

this makes me realise how much i detach myself from the reality of what i am eating: eating chicken (singular) seems very different from eating chickens (plural).

(this really shoulda been an almost post.)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AlyG

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by opium_souldjah
wow there's a Stephen King short story that this remonds me of.

Just how people kept dying of A7 - the flu...creepy

<tangent>
A7...Not The Stand?? There was one with a group of teens in California too wasn't there? Which book of short stories was that...

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
shouldn't the title read Avian Flu instead of Aviation Flu?
or was that AlexD messin' with us again?

It was probably my bad.. a casualty of browsing news while juggling multiple tasks.

But I'll bet ya aviation sickenss is up. Don't make me find the facts to prove it! :D

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Google search for people freaking out

98fest03.jpg

ld-paws08.jpg

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
shouldn't the title read Avian Flu instead of Aviation Flu?
or was that AlexD messin' with us again?

don't share your water bottle with a DC9

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
[crowd prompt]Tell us why![/crowd prompt]

single flock is most likely in the 30 - 50 thousand range. A hatchery produces for hundereds of flocks. Unless it hits the hatchery the model isn't prevy to major disruptions.

Chickens have a short life span and are farmed in very enclosed areas. Because of there short life span (most chickens live for about 45 days) there is very little cross contamination between flocks. Chickens are easily isolated and sperated from the food and supply chains.

Unlike for instance cows which live 15 times longer and may move between several farms.