• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
I noticed about a year ago that this show had the highest user rating on Tv.Com currently with a 9.3 and over 1300 reviews. It was only last month in a bout of tv desperation that I downloaded season 1. About 5 days later I already had season 2 queued in my list.

Have you ever wondered why North American animation teams never seem to put together epic adventures even close to what the Japaneses are capable of?

Avatar is absolutely the most dramatic action-packed saga i have ever experienced in an animated series. It's story line is as complex and thrilling as the best RPG series (more epic than final fantasy 3 and 7)... with complex characters, complex moral dilemmas, and heavy no-holds barred eastern philosophy aimed at an American audience but never dumbed down.

Thats where avatar is so successful, they never dumb it down.

I finished season 2 last night and the final episodes were tense and captivating. The fight sequences in every single episode are beyond the caliber of dragon ball z, and pretty much everything else I've ever seen.

Every episode is full of subtle comedy, sarcasm, and slapstick - with the hero (ang, the avatar) having an enlightened lightheartedness even in the face of the great resistance... The series uses the elements and balance, ying and yang, shinto philosophies, and steampunk as its world.

There is a 4 season arc (the four elements) and then the series will be completed.

From Wikipedia:

"Anime

While Avatar is not considered an anime because of its American origin, one review has commented that "Avatar blurs the line between anime and (US) domestic cartoons until it becomes irrelevant."[33] In addition, Avatar has many features of anime such as having a different color palette than other animated shows.[34]

However, Avatar creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino confirmed a particular anime influence in a magazine interview:

"The best anime balances great action sequences with humor and emotion, something we try to do on Avatar. We love all the films of Hayao Miyazaki, especially Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. Both movies deal with spirituality and the environment in an entertaining way. Also, there's a lot of great animation."[35]

According to an interview with the artists involved in creating Avatar, Appa's design was based on the Catbus in My Neighbor Totoro, due to the peculiar task of creating a mammal with six legs.[36]

Avatar also draws inspiration from the anime works of Shinichiro Watanabe's Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, as well as FLCL (Fooly Cooly) of Gainax. Other various studios from which inspiration was drawn include Studio 4°C, Production I.G., and Studio Ghibli.[37] Bryan has commented that some of his most cherished Watanabe fight scenes were the fight between Bebop's Spike Spiegel and a drug smuggler in "Asteroid Blues," as well as the duel between Mugen and a blind female Jojutsu-user in the Champloo episode "Elegy of Entrapment (Verse 2)." Avatar director Giancarlo Volpe also claims the staff "were all ordered to buy Fooly Cooly and watch every single episode of it."

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
I LOVE this show and have every ep on my PVR.

Uncle Iro is dead though :( hence the extra long wait for the 4th season, I hope the next voice actor does him justice.

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
dude! you ass! I just finished season2 - oh shit, I thought you meant the character died.
The voice actor is amazing for him, In season 2, when he confronts Zuko after he tries to kidnap Appa from the Dai Li agents in the rock city, i thought it was the most powerful speech I've heard ever in an animated series.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
all these clips have silly music attached to them... bah one is enough as a preview.

Has spoiler bits for effin.

Last edited:

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
Toph is my favorite character, attitude and comedy-wise.
and she can bend metal now... awesome.

that last part, when she is trapped in the metal box - i loved that scene.

Last edited:

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
gee, ya think he was being completely litteral?
could be could be.. I'm not a fan of using sarcasm on the internet.
i think its damaging our youth and strengthening the resolve of our enemies.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Two clips one better picture the other better sound. You'll end up watching the clip twice anyways.

Book 3: Fire
September 21st bitches

The Kid

TRIBE Member
my roommate turned me on to this show... makes for excellent saturday morning joint-smokin' teevee. Love it. Stupid me missed this past weeks because I was busy cleaning the kitchen.

WTF was I thinking?!!!

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
awesome.

who's kissing who in that clip? and who's the old dude controlling all the elements at the end - was that aang or is there another avatar?

is zuko still bad, or was he just pretending to succumb to the dark side?

ps. the show needs more suki.

Fidelity

TRIBE Member
I really enjoy the character design in this show, I've just started catching episodes on saturdays, and would like to see more.

echootje

TRIBE Member
Last night I finished both seasons, took me a week and a half to do it. This show is incredible!

Now I've got to be patient for book 3 (and 4!)

Rob