1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

AV question..

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Woody, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Woody

Woody TRIBE Member

I have my up-converting DVD player connected to my TV via an HDMI cable and get sound through the TV without issues. My TV is connected to my receiver via a digital optical cable and I get regular sound out of both the TV and the receiver. What I don't get though, it's the 5.1 surround when I play my DVDs. This was never an issue with I had my regular TV.

My question is, does the HDMI cable carry the 5.1 signal, or do I have to connect the DVD player directly to the receiver in order to get full surround? The other part to the question is, if I do have to connect the DVD player directly to the receiver, can I still use the HDMI cable to the TV or am I better off, going with component cables to the TV and the digital audio through a separate cable?

Any help would be appreciated, it's been driving me a little crazy....

2. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

I remember back when I was TV shopping that a lot of them don't pass through the 5.1 signal from whatever input they're receiving. So even if the HDMI cables transmit in 5.1 (and I don't know offhand whether or not they do), it could be the TV that's not carrying the signal through to it's optical out... which kid of defeats the purpose of having the optical out in the first place.

You may need to split the audio & video from the DVD player... but can you send HDMI to the receiver and have it pass the video through to the TV?

3. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

the only reason that optical out is there is to pass bitstreamed digital sound from the TVs tuner (using an OTa antenna) to a receiver...

if you want 5.1 from the receiver you need to connect the optical cable directly from the DVD player to it

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

Yup....DVD to Receiver. Receiver to TV.

5. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

I was so pissed when I found out my TV was like this too.
    Has this been corrected in most newer models or is it still the standard?

6. Woody

Woody TRIBE Member

thanks everyone, this has helped a lot... :)

7. SmoothOperator

It's the standard, which is why it's important to invest in a good receiver when building a home theatre.

8. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

What I find extra annoying, at least on the TV that I've got, is that there isn't any other type of audio output like RCA stereo, the only audio output is the digital optical. They should at least have an RCA output that I can plug into my receiver and not have to take up a precious digital input for crappy stereo sound.

9. SmoothOperator

Using RCA's in the back of the TV would require them to make the unit thicker. And we all know thin is in. Also Optical inputs carry over 5.1 DTS or Dolby sound. Far superior to rca!