• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Automobile help

swilly

TRIBE Member
OK i am getting super sick every time i turn the heat on in my car. what could the possible problems be?
we found a hole in the catalytic converter however it is quite small and i dont know if this will affect the heating but... some of the fumes could be getting sucked in.

Also this other mechanic we talked to said there might be a problem with the head gasket but...... i fail to see how that would cause fumes in my car as they are closed systems from my understanding

What other issues could there be you think?

I was thinking perhaps the heater core or something?

anythoughts would be greatly appreciated

cheers
william

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ev
something with the exhaust system for sure...

you think its the hole the catlytic converter then?

I thought so as well except when i turned on only the recirculation function i still got sick. Supposdly this only allows air from the inside to be reciculated for heat. which should not expose me to air from the outside but.... it is possible i suppose
hmmm

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
no.. not the converter. it won't smell that bad. I've broken more converters in my day than I can count cause my ride was a tad low.

do you have an older car? If so, probably your piston seals or your transmission/engine. You might be burning oil directly which is very common (unfortunately).

do you have a bit of white smoke spitting out your tail pipe or does it smell worse than normal exhaust? (kind of hard to tell during the winter) If so, there's your answer. your converter won't have anything to do with it in this case (my educamacated guess)...

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by swilly
you think its the hole the catlytic converter then?

I thought so as well except when i turned on only the recirculation function i still got sick. Supposdly this only allows air from the inside to be reciculated for heat. which should not expose me to air from the outside but.... it is possible i suppose
hmmm

fumes are probably seeping into the interior from the converter, so when the fan reciclates (!?!) the air it isn't fresh. A mechanic would certainly know more about this though.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by the_fornicator
no.. not the converter. it won't smell that bad. I've broken more converters in my day than I can count cause my ride was a tad low.

actually scratch that. I got my exhaust system fixed within a day or so... so i guess I wouldn't have had the opportunity to really gauge the smell emitting from the converter.

didn't notice anything beyond the norm tho (and I have a pretty sensitive sense of smell)

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by catilyst
fumes are probably seeping into the interior from the converter, so when the fan reciclates (!?!) the air it isn't fresh. A mechanic would certainly know more about this though.

how hard is it to visually inspect the heater core for problems you think?

i have a 1987 honda accord exi it was good in its day but its day was close to 20 years back now.

Mind you for 500 dollars i have gotten over 5 years worth of use out of it. Not bad if you ask me

just not good for meeting girls or anyone sane with.
But whatever

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Carbon monoxide is technically odourless, but your exhaust has allot of other stuf in it too. We all know what exhaust smells like!