• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Automated killer robots 'threat to humanity': expert

praktik

TRIBE Member
Military EATR: Contractor Working On Horrifying Corpse-Eating Robots

Jason Linkins

It's not everyday that a person gets to blog about how military contractors are developing terrifying, ironically named robots, which will roam around, feasting on dead flesh until the day comes that they will rise up and kill us all, but guess what? Today is one of those days:

A Maryland company under contract to the Pentagon is working on a steam-powered robot that would fuel itself by gobbling up whatever organic material it can find -- grass, wood, old furniture, even dead bodies.

Robotic Technology Inc.'s Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot -- that's right, "EATR" -- "can find, ingest, and extract energy from biomass in the environment (and other organically-based energy sources), as well as use conventional and alternative fuels (such as gasoline, heavy fuel, kerosene, diesel, propane, coal, cooking oil, and solar) when suitable," reads the company's Web site.

That "biomass" and "other organically-based energy sources" wouldn't necessarily be limited to plant material -- animal and human corpses contain plenty of energy, and they'd be plentiful in a war zone.​
You know, my editors frown on me for swearing, for good reason, but in this case: SERIOUSLY, PENTAGON, WHAT THE FUCK?!?

I am having a really hard time trying to figure out what the military purpose of a robot that eats dead bodies is. Maybe the idea is these robots will make it difficult for independent observers to quantify casualties? Maybe President Sarah Palin will nominate one to the Supreme Court? The article states that EATR is a "platform" that things could be "built upon" -- like an "ambulance" or a "mobile gunship." But it seems to me that the ambulances and gunships we have now are perfectly okay, and, at any rate, DON'T MAKE MY SOUL HURT.

Speaking of:

The advantages to the military are that the robot would be extremely flexible in fuel sources and could roam on its own for months, even years, without having to be refueled or serviced.​
So then: some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice. But it looks like it's going to end in a hail of white-hot terror at the hands of marauding, corpse-eating Roombas.

Stop Bill C-10

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
This little bitch was serving up my NES games for me back in 89.

rob.jpg

this thread is really creepy. :(

and

ahhh I had him. cant for the life of me remember what game that was with and what he did, but i had him alright!! :D

praktik

TRIBE Member
Robotic Taxidermied Deer Makes Hunters the Hunted

13023_cool_deer_zombie.png

Some hunters are picking the wrong deer to mess with

The United States has long supported its citizens in getting their hunting fix. For a variety of months of every year, hunters can take guns, bow, and other small arms and search out a wide variety of game, with the specific allowed game of the season typically varying by month. However, one of the most beloved beasts among hunters is the buck, the iconic male deer.

Unfortunately, the lust for the buck has driven some obsessive hunters to break the law, hunting the animals out of season. That caused some techie conservationists to do what any normal well-adjusted person would do -- make a mechanical, taxidermied deer to turn the tables on the hunters.

Taxidermist Brian Wolslegel, a member of a gang call Custom Robotic Wildlife, has done exactly that. He has collected deer corpses, dried the pelts, and stretched the skins over polyurethane bodies, creating a host of deer decoys. The frame has servomotors attached that actuate the head, tail, and limbs. The electronics are hidden inside the beast's neck and legs -- not typical hunter targets -- and receive signals via remote control.

Mr. Wolslegel and his pals spend their free time hiding in the forest. When they come across a hapless lawbreaking hunter, the hunter becomes the hunted. On the hunt for the most dangerous game, one party controls the decoy and waits for the hunter to strike. Another video tapes the hunter shooting the decoy. And two others leap out from the woods and tackle the hunter(s) attempting to detain them until authorities can arrive.

Mr. Wolslegel and pals have nabbed multiple lawbreakers with their mix of creepy stuffed animals and high-tech. And across the country many park officials are using decoys supplied by the team to conduct similar stings. The punishments handed out by authorities include steep fines and jail time.

The group also uses coyotes, elk, antelope, and bears to catch hunters engaging in other types of poaching. However, their main passion remains deer. Next year Mr. Wolslegel plans to unleash a new model which has a CO2 cartridge to let loose little puffs of steamy "breath".

Aside from poaching the poachers, the Wisconsin based club/business also sells a variety of stuffed automated decoys to law-abiding hunters, homeowners (looking to scare away animals), and anyone else who might have a long silenced latent urge to own a large taxidermied beast.

13024_Custom_Robots.png

link

praktik

TRIBE Member
Predators and Robots at War by Christian Caryl | The New York Review of Books

The ethical and legal implications of the new technology already go far beyond the relatively circumscribed issue of targeted killing. Military robots are on their way to developing considerable autonomy. As noted earlier, UAVs can already take off, land, and fly themselves without human intervention. Targeting is still the exclusive preserve of the human operator—but how long will this remain the case?

As sensors become more powerful and diverse, the amount of data gathered by the machines is increasing exponentially, and soon the volume and velocity of information will far exceed the controller’s capacity to process it all in real time, meaning that more and more decision-making will be left to the robot. A move is already underway toward systems that allow a single operator to handle multiple drones simultaneously, and this, too, will tend to push the technology toward greater autonomy. We are not far from the day when it will become manifest that our mechanical warriors are better at protecting the lives of our troops than any human soldier, and once that happens the pressure to let robots take the shot will be very hard to resist.​
full article is a good read...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
other interesting tidbits:

"Most Americans are probably unaware, for example, that the US Air Force now trains more UAV operators each year than traditional pilots....As I write this, the US aerospace industry has for all practical purposes ceased research and development work on manned aircraft."

"In fact, though, UAVs represent only one small part of the action in military robotics. As Singer recently told me, there are already more robots operating on the ground (15,000) than in the air (7,000)."

"The US Navy is experimenting with machines of its own. It recently unveiled a robot jet ski designed to sniff out attackers who might try to sneak up on US ships underwater. The Navy has developed harmless-looking (and environmentally friendly) sailboats packed with high-tech surveillance gear that can pilot themselves around the world, if need be. Robot submersibles, too, are in the works."

"Researchers are now testing UAVs that mimic hummingbirds or seagulls; one model under development can fit on a pencil eraser. There is much speculation about linking small drones or robots together into “swarms”—clouds or crowds of machines that would share their intelligence, like a hive mind, and have the capability to converge instantly on identified targets"

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
There is much speculation about linking small drones or robots together into “swarms”—clouds or crowds of machines that would share their intelligence, like a hive mind, and have the capability to converge instantly on identified targets"

I plan on developing superpowers by this time next year, so pththpth...

Phat Buddha

TRIBE Member
Pole-dancing robots wow world's biggest high-tech fair

almbmr.jpg

Of all the weird and wacky futuristic gadgets and inventions at this year's CeBIT, the world's biggest high-tech fair, few have turned heads like a pair of pole-dancing robots.

The sleek, white, life-sized humanoids, with camera-shaped lights as heads, gyrate suggestively to the music, provided by a third "DJ" robot, with a megaphone for a head, who bops around the stage in time to the beat.

The stand was already proving one of the most popular at the CeBIT, which threw open its door to exhibitors on Tuesday.
The trio were manufactured from old car parts, explained Julian Hangschlitt, 19, who described himself as "event manager by day and part-time DJ by night."

"Last year, we had a pair of real dancers. This year, we thought, 'well, we're coming to CeBIT, it's a tech fair, we should have some robots instead'," he added.

The "dancers", designed by British robot-maker-cum-artist Giles Walker, are driven by old car motors and their moves are controlled by computer via wireless technology.

But despite being made from scrap, the robots don't come cheap. If you want to hire these very exotic dancers for your next party, it will set you back around 30,000 euros ($US40,000).

CeBIT is the world's top IT fair, this year pulling in 4200 exhibitors from 70 countries ranging from tech giants like Microsoft, Facebook and Google to single entrepreneurs with a bright idea.

The two main themes of the fair, which runs until March 10, are cloud computing - or storing your data remotely - and "managing trust", the hot-topic of Internet security.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the LS3 a four-legged military support vehicle, intended to carry heavy packs and gear for foot soldiers.

[YOUTUBE]R7ezXBEBE6U[/YOUTUBE]

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
[YOUTUBE]6aZbJS6LZbs[/YOUTUBE]

'Terminator' self-assembling cube robots revealed by MIT

Cube-shaped robots that can flip, jump and assemble themselves into different shapes have been unveiled by scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

The small robots, known as M-Blocks, have no external parts but can move using an internal flywheel mechanism.

They stick together using magnets.

The scientists envisage miniaturised "swarmbot" versions self-assembling like the "liquid steel" androids in the Terminator films.

More realistically, the researchers at MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL), believe armies of such cubes could be used for making temporary repairs to bridges or buildings, or as self-assembly, re-configurable scaffolding.

Modular robots have the advantage of being able to adapt to whatever task or terrain is presented to them.

John Romanishin, one of the research scientists at CSAIL leading the project, said: "We want hundreds of cubes, scattered randomly across the floor, to be able to identify each other, coalesce, and autonomously transform into a chair, or a ladder, or a desk, on demand."

The M-Blocks are currently controlled by computer instructions sent over wireless radio, but in future the researchers hope algorithms can be loaded on the blocks directly, making them entirely autonomous and capable of adapting to different environments.

Blocks equipped with sensors and cameras would be able to work out how to accomplish specific tasks in combat or emergency situations, the scientists hope.

from bbc

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
[YOUTUBE]6aZbJS6LZbs[/YOUTUBE]

not so deadly... yet

[YOUTUBE]wE3fmFTtP9g[/YOUTUBE]

def going to be deadly... only a matter of time.

I <3 BOTS !

Lojack

TRIBE Member
The day we come up with a reliable, lightweight source of power, which is capable of containing/generating enough power, these things will be on the street.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like all the main military grade bots are being made by Boston Dynamics. It would probably be a good stock to invest in, assuming the US doesn't default this month.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Looks like all the main military grade bots are being made by Boston Dynamics. It would probably be a good stock to invest in, assuming the US doesn't default this month.

And also assuming you're cool with investing in war machines.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
My tax dollars are heavily invested in war machines...so I would think investing my non-tax dollars would be about the same on the morality scale.