• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Autistic or just a Geek? Take the Test

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

Apparently a much higher than average percentage of computer workers are diagnosed with a mild form of autism called "Asperger's Syndrome". This test allow you to filter yourself out as just Geeky or maybe having something to actually worry about.

(source digg.com)

---------------

Alright this is something I have been curious about for years (haven't taken the test yet). I'm convinced that my father was a classic example of "Asperger's Syndrome" in that although fully functional it was pretty clear that he had autistic qualities.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
I'm somewhat surprised that I was a 15, I expected it to be much closer to the border line on that one.
me too...

19 for me weird.

Although wtf am I trusting an online quiz for?

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
while Asperger's Syndrome is a mild form of Autism, it is not in and of itself a "mild" disorder. You don't take a test on the internet one day when you're 28 and find out; wow, looks like I might have asperger's!

It is a serious disorder that leads to many problems, mostly of a social nature. Parents normally figure out something isn't right quite early, as the symptoms intensify throughout adolescence (including severe tantrums).

Maybe if this dude Simon Baron-Cohen is real (and if the Cambridge Autism Research Centre is real), they'd be better off describing a different form of Asperger's... that you can apparently, unknowingly live with for years :rolleyes:

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Alright this is something I have been curious about for years (haven't taken the test yet). I'm convinced that my father was a classic example of "Asperger's Syndrome" in that although fully functional it was pretty clear that he had autistic qualities.
I find autism spectrum disorders so interesting. In my thesis research this year I was testing a kid who was labelled as having a language impairment. Within a few minutes of talking to him I was convinced he was not LI but asperger's. I talk to the sert and sure enough he's aspergers. The parents had him labelled LI to avoid the stigma of autism.
Symptoms of asperger's are pretty easy to notice once you meet a few of them. I think there are a lot of children misdiagnosed, especially when it's very mild i.e. they're normal or above average intelligence but something's a bit off. They tend to be male, tend to love science fiction type things and love games with rules.This is because they have a hard time reading other people and so rule based games give them an opportunity to socialize in a way they can understand.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
This is a personal statement from an adult with ASD from the Geneva Institute in Toronto.
Life has always been a challenge for me……One of the problems I had in relating to people or my peers was my intense focus on special interests and hobbies. Unless we had a mutual interest in something, it was very difficult for me to communicate. This has been a problem all of my life, the fact that I tend to go on and on about a topic, without knowing when to stop. Today I'm a lot better at catching this habit. For most of my life, my hobby of collecting licence plates is where I was intensely focused. People didn't matter to me during that time; I was more orientated to objects. It was safer but lonely.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
also worthy of note, you can make an internet test for almost any psychological disorder because the symptoms of these disorders are not unlike things we go through on a regular basis. The reason they're disorders is because they're intensified and uncontrollable and/or don't seem to get better with time.

For example:

Take The DQ Test

Psychologist Peter Cohen-Baron and his colleagues at Cambridge's Depression Research Centre have created the Depression-Spectrum Quotient, or DQ, as a measure of the extent of depressive traits in adults. In the first major trial using the test, the average score in the control group was 16.4. Eighty percent of those diagnosed with depression or a related disorder scored 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, however, and many who score above 32 and even meet the diagnostic criteria for depression or manic-depression report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives.

1. I feel sad most of the time
2. Sometimes I feel like my future is hopeless
3. My mood sometimes changes from really exciteable to quiet and introverted in a matter of hours.
4. I currently feel, or have felt within the past year, completely alone
5. I find myself getting tired more often

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
while Asperger's Syndrome is a mild form of Autism, it is not in and of itself a "mild" disorder. You don't take a test on the internet one day when you're 28 and find out; wow, looks like I might have asperger's!

It is a serious disorder that leads to many problems, mostly of a social nature. Parents normally figure out something isn't right quite early, as the symptoms intensify throughout adolescence (including severe tantrums).

Maybe if this dude Simon Baron-Cohen is real (and if the Cambridge Autism Research Centre is real), they'd be better off describing a different form of Asperger's... that you can apparently, unknowingly live with for years :rolleyes:

without a doubt, however for the ignorant such as myself in regards to this often these kinds of tests get us thinking and open our eyes. So although I agree that any diagnosis from an online multiple choice test is dubious at best they are still entertaining and can often open up discussions.

rubytuesday said:
I find autism spectrum disorders so interesting. In my thesis research this year I was testing a kid who was labelled as having a language impairment. Within a few minutes of talking to him I was convinced he was not LI but asperger's. I talk to the sert and sure enough he's aspergers. The parents had him labelled LI to avoid the stigma of autism.
Symptoms of asperger's are pretty easy to notice once you meet a few of them. I think there are a lot of children misdiagnosed, especially when it's very mild i.e. they're normal or above average intelligence but something's a bit off. They tend to be male, tend to love science fiction type things and love games with rules.This is because they have a hard time reading other people and so rule based games give them an opportunity to socialize in a way they can understand.

My old man was a very interesting case. He was a very bright man who spoke multiple languages and had a knowledge of trivia that was incredible. A very creative person but one who had to be constrained by rules to express it or himself properly. Socially he could talk to anyone in a controlled circumstance however in one on one he would easily become frustrated and would not be able to control his words or actions once in this state.

He was highly functional in that he ran his own farm very successfully and was able to participate in society however things like team sports or activities were simply not possible for him. Issue was that he self medicated with alcohol to combat social issues and pickled himself.

zoo

TRIBE Member
How to score: "Definitely agree" or "Slightly agree" responses to questions 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, 13, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 33, 35, 39, 41, 42, 43, 45, 46 score 1 point.

"Definitely disagree" or "Slightly disagree" responses to questions 1, 3, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34, 36, 37, 38, 40, 44, 47, 48, 49, 50 score 1 point.

On average half your answers don't get counted!!

This doesn't really tell you where you sit on any continuum, it's just a "checklist" like "do you drink more than twice a week?" and "are your friends and family concerned about your drinking?"

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
zoo said:
How to score: "Definitely agree" or "Slightly agree" responses to questions 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, 13, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 33, 35, 39, 41, 42, 43, 45, 46 score 1 point.

"Definitely disagree" or "Slightly disagree" responses to questions 1, 3, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34, 36, 37, 38, 40, 44, 47, 48, 49, 50 score 1 point.

On average half your answers don't get counted!!

This doesn't really tell you where you sit on any continuum, it's just a "checklist" like "do you drink more than twice a week?" and "are your friends and family concerned about your drinking?"

maybe you're just so autistic that it's blowing your fucking mind !