• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Audion @ Footwork

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Apparently my BF went!
without me!

He said it was good, and busy, and there were many drinks. I'm shocked.

Any chance the set was recorded?

Adopted

TRIBE Member
i am kinda conflicted.... i don't know what to say... all night the music was up and down for me... long periods of flat, drawn out, lifeless tracks... for most of the night the dancefloor wasn't rocking like i have seen it at FW before... a lot pf people were just kinda standing around waiting for something to happen... and the group i went with pretty much felt the same way...

as for matt dear, he definitely transcended the trend, but not by a whole lot... i don't want to say it was a dissapointing night... it wasn't.... it just wasn't the over the top crazy night i guess i had built up in my mind.

like most of matt's stuff, it was a challenging listen all night... resepctable but my brain is tighed in a knot.

ps. nice meeting you geminigirl!

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Adopted said:
like most of matt's stuff, it was a challenging listen all night... resepctable but my brain is tighed in a knot.

Matt Dear is challenging?
Ok.

I'm happy I didn't go if your opinion reflects how he was received.

,g

hudempka

TRIBE Member
I left before he even came on after being very irritated by uninspired music for hours on end...i felt like how i imagine people who hate dance music must feel 'what is the point of all this?' i kept asking myself (musically that is, I wasn't getting existential and depressed at the futility of life), it's not that the music was horrible, just 'who cares' and after a few hours of it, i knew even seeing one of my favorite producers wasnt gonna motivate me so i left....weird night all in all, spending cash to not enjoy yorself and leave before the only reason you went takes place......if you book weird minimal producers, wouldn't it make sense to play vaguely related weird minimal tunes beforehand?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
hudempka said:
if you book weird minimal producers, wouldn't it make sense to play vaguely related weird minimal tunes beforehand?
i felt this way too - it's like all the DJs before and after Matthew Dear had nothing to do with Dear's style. the other DJs sound was pretty progressive, electro shtuff, and Dear came in with some classic minimal techno - it was almost like ADD and AFE were doing a "tribute to techno: special night" type thing where they "invited" a techno DJ.

don't get me wrong, i had a smile on my face the size of Utah all night, and I danced my knees into a frazzle, but the music could've been better. is all.

and i don't understand why it's so difficult to get the whole door/price/hour thing right. am i illiterate? doesn't it say $10 before midnight? if i'd known, i would've taken my time and paid $15 a little later... just IRKS me. aren't people wearing watches? just don't advertize a price at all - then charge what you want! but don't advertize and then contradict - that just makes you look bad.

the crowd was fuckin wicked - you kids sure know how to have a good time. nice to meet asha, geminigirl - we drooled over Mr. Dear together.
*moment*

anyone know what happened to the speakers at the end of Matthew Dear's set? he didn't seem impressed... ended the set quite abruptly, i thought.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Yeah, there was a short period of time before Audion where I debated 'do I want to go home?' - The DJ before him now and then would play a good track, and then lose me.

But Audion - wow, I loved it and was dancing my ass off for pretty much all of his set - and when I wasnt dancing, it wasnt because I didnt like the music, but I was lost in it.

His set made me feel weird things and dance in fucked up ways - I loved it.

The DJ that came on after - didnt do anything for me. Going from the twisted headfuck of Audion to Nathan Fake -- it just didnt mesh well, and by time Audions set was done - so was I. (in a good way)

The crowd during audions set seemed to have alot of energy and be really into it - then again, I was too busy going off in my own little world dancing my ass off to really notice if the people around me were into it as much as I was. *shrug*

Some of audions tracks were downright weird - but great. Was nice to hear some of my fave tracks played out in a club.

All around, I'd still rate the night as a 10/10 for me - it was like a Katamari ball of techno goodness.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
kaniz said:
But Audion - wow, I loved it and was dancing my ass off for pretty much all of his set - and when I wasnt dancing, it wasnt because I didnt like the music, but I was lost in it.

His set made me feel weird things and dance in fucked up ways - I loved it.
totally - i didn't even want to leave the dancefloor to pee. mmmm techno.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I really dug the music all night.

Nitin started it off with some quirk tech-house and the two djs that followed before audion were really playing some dope tunes, lots of older gigolo records i recognized. Then audion came up and dear worked through a range of sounds that went from melodic through to abraisive.

Solid night.

aki

TRIBE Promoter
mariazmess said:
it was almost like ADD and AFE were doing a "tribute to techno: special night" type thing where they "invited" a techno DJ.

this is a strange statment. what do you mean?

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
aki said:
this is a strange statment. what do you mean?
it was a convoluted way of saying that the different DJs didn't mesh together well. i was probably on crack when i wrote that.

craaaaaaaaaack.
man, i wish i had some crack this morning.
MONDAYS SUCK.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
I got there about 1. It was jammed pack so it was pretty hard to find people. I looked for ya Joel! It was great to be back at Footwork after not being there since last October. As for Matthew Dear..he played some totally head fucking techno..you really had to be in the mood for it-and I was! It was tweaky and dirty and was pretty hard for your brain to process. We had to go outside every once in a while just to give our head a break. Nice to meet Adopted and Mariazmess..had fun talking to you guys!;)

Maxine

ian

TRIBE Member
Popped in for a bit. Liked the lighting and the new banners. . .

Terrence Kissener played some great tracks with solid mixing. I missed Nitin which is too bad as I havn't heard him play since the mid nineties I believe! Unfortunately had to leave right before Matthew went on, but the place was packed and rocking. Good job Footwork/AFE etc.!

I was very curious to see how Matthew was going to go over as his Audion stuff is very minimal and I was wondering how the up for it dancefloor was going to react. Sounds like it worked!

why not

TRIBE Member
i just remembered that someone introduced themselves to me as so-and-so from tribe, but i didn't really hear it, and then kalemic started talking to me, and then they disappeared.
sorry if i seemed rude, whoever you are.

sentence

TRIBE Promoter
y'know ben, the power outage only lasted a minute ya know!

;)

otherwise.. i thought audion kicked the dancefloors ass. lots of hollerin n hootenay. pleasure to work with terence and add. i think murat will get ridiculous.

why not

TRIBE Member
sentence said:
y'know ben, the power outage only lasted a minute ya know!

;)

yeah i know, but other than the one track he played after, his set was pretty much done (from what me and most of the dancefloor could see).
although i just heard from nitin that he ended up DJing songs here and there later on (after i'd left for sudbury).

anyway, i liked what he played, and i liked the vibe of the party. lots of younger faces, and more than a few old school types.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
At first I thought the power-out was just a shtick to get people worked up for a build or something, but then I looked into the booth and he look pissed off. *laugh*

asha

TRIBE Promoter
why not said:
i just remembered that someone introduced themselves to me as so-and-so from tribe, but i didn't really hear it, and then kalemic started talking to me, and then they disappeared.
sorry if i seemed rude, whoever you are.

oh, that was me. and no worries! :) i think we managed to say bye or something along those lines before i left.