1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Audio Playback lag spike

Discussion in 'Technology' started by glych t.anomaly, Aug 29, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

So im running Win 7 professional.
    Microsoft Security essentials for anti virus.
    Other active programs, Digsby, Skype, Chrome, and playing music with Foobar2000 latest build.

also im running hardware wise, a Dual Core AMD 2ghz cpu, 2GB RAM, SATA HD, and its a 2 day old installation of the OS and software.

the reason why i wped my HD, and swapped out some data etc, was because this was happening prior to this, and the only other time i have experienced this was at work when i had a secondary drive in my machine, and it was the reason this shit was happening. so now im running a solo HD in my comp, and its still happening.

the HD is partitioned into the System partition, and then i have the other as storage for my music etc.

but this is still happening, and i have no idea why, my RAM and CPU loads are low. is it cuz its like a 5 year old comp, is the Mainboard fucked?

i dunno, im resorting to playing music from my macbook just so i dont have to listen to it lag, when i reload a web page.

could my audio files be the reason? degredation?

But the same files play fine at work, and the only real difference between my work comp, is a GB of RAM.

i even have Fubar set to buffer up to a million or 10 million kbs and it still doesnt help.

anyways, thought i would check here before i go an search online, as there are some very useful comments on here once in awhile.

thanks for the input.

[jai]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

have you tried using any other mp3 playing program?

3. glych t.anomaly

everything else i have tried does the same thing, Winamp, Win Media Player, Itunes, etc to name a few.

any other suggestions for audio players?

[jai]

4. glych t.anomaly

as a side note, i also had Ubuntu 9.04 installed on my comp via dual boot, and when using songbird for audio playback the same thing happened, im starting to believe its a hardware issue, more and more.

[jai]

5. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

I'm gonna have to agree with you on this. How old is your mobo?

6. glych t.anomaly

3 years for sure. maybe 4.

fack.

[jai]

7. deepfunkysoul

deepfunkysoul TRIBE Promoter

Before you ditch it, I would check your setting in the BIOS. The first thing you want to do is disable anything you don't need. For instance serial ports are pretty much useless these days and are rarely used. Second if your using USB keyboad and mouse you can also disable the PS2 ports. I'm thinking maybe you changed something in the bios and there is a latency issue with something onboard. Since this is at the bios level it would effect whatever OS you have installed. Also makes sure your not running shadow caching or spectrum modulation. If your not to comfortable with messing with the setting the easiest thing to do is to load up the fail safe bios defaults and reinstall the OS.

Other than that I would need more details about the system. Are you using a onboard sound card or add-on sound card?

8. glych t.anomaly

i will definitely check my BIOS settings, i flashed it with its newest firmware settings about 6 - 8 months ago.

i will go through and double check.

on board integrated sound, i can use the sound card from my wifes comp to test if that solves the issue.

thanks for the tips man, i will advise after done with the testing.

[jai]

9. glych t.anomaly

so i killed all the serial ports ps2 ports and parallel ports, and so far, since i restarded, started all my normal programs back up, even did a Anti virus update download while this was happening, and not one lag spike.

so if this sticks, i am buying you a beer and smoking you a joint man.

many thanks.

[jai]

10. glych t.anomaly

spoke too soon, its still happening and not as frequently.

going to try PCI slot av card next.

[jai]

11. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

was this happening before or after you installed Windows 7?

12. glych t.anomaly

it didnt happen up untill maybe about 3 months ago.

when i intially installed it, it was amazing, never had this issue.

another odd thing, it seems like the longer the computer is on, the more it happens, so im wondering if its a caching issue?

its pretty fucking weird.

[jai]

13. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Strange things happen when the power supply unit is faulty.

*shrug*

Jay

14. Kalemic

Kalemic TRIBE Promoter

Your issue is with a thing called DPC latency.

Its related to the drivers that are used to interface with the system by different programs. Most people don't notice it until they use an audio device though.

Your particular problem is probably being caused by Microsoft Security Essentials, which can cause issues especially if you're using a P2P app like a torrent program.

You can download a program to check your DPC latency levels here:
    DPC Latency Checker

My guess is that if you remove MSE and install something like Avast! your problems will go away.

15. glych t.anomaly

would it still cause the issues if im not using the torrent program? and i will def try it tonight man, im willing to try anything.

thanks again everyone.

let you know how it goes.

[jai]

16. deepfunkysoul

Have you tried loading up the system defaults in the BIOS yet? Definitely try this first.

Here's what I would do if I was working on it.

1. I would power off the tower and then open it up and one by one re-seat all the add on cards and reconnect all cables. While you have them out give them a blast with compressed air. (I'm getting the feeling something is overheating) Including the motherboard and ram.

2. Run memtest86+ from a bootable cd this will take awhile but will test the stability of the cpu/memory. Run it over night. If it stops check to see which module failed and replace it. If it crashes then we have a hardware issue which could involve stripping the system down to basic hardware and testing one by one. If it passes and doesn't crash your good to go.

3. Do a fresh install of windows 7 but when you get to the auto update skip it. Basically we want to first test it without anything installed.

4. Boot it up and install only your graphics driver and your audio driver if it didn't install it during the installation.

5. Install your audio program and test it out if your still having issues go to your motherboards website support find the driver section and look for the Chipset drivers. Install it and test it again.

If all this doesn't fix it, I would try an locate the original Bios firmware you had before you updated it and restore it.

Sometime the manufacturer includes it on tool and utilities cd that comes with the motherboard. But you can also check their website. I remember my old AMD Asus board was really picky about the firmware and was causing instability issues with the latest firmware. In the end I had to go through all the firmwares version to find a stable one.

Hopefully its as simple as troublesome driver and you can use the DPI latency checker to find the driver. But I think the fact that its working fine and then fails after an extended period might mean theres thermal issue. eg. chipset, memory, cpu, power supply is over heating. Which is why I would make sure everything is blasted with compressed air and reseated and reconnected properly inside.

Good luck and keep me updated.

17. glych t.anomaly

it only took about 20 mins, and it wasnt doing it all in the first 5 - 10, and then i left it with the music playing, and came back, and started doing more stuff, and it then began to do this.

i have cleaned out the interior, recheck my cables, my CPU heatsync is clean, Graphics card, power supply, everything is cleaned up.
    and the side of the case is off to boot.

i can restore the BIOS to default settings, but i hadnt changed them from default, at all, over the least 3 - 4 years.

the only thing i installed firmware wise to the BIOS , was so it would support 2 X DDR2 1GB sticks.

i have no cards in the PCI slots, my wireless is via USB Wireless N Adapter, all the drivers are installed and confirmed working for all hardware.

i dont want to regress the firmware or it will not be able to use the extra RAM.

so im going to try resetting my BIOS to default, and im going to do the DPC Latency Test when i get home, and i might uninstall MSSE to see if that is doing it.

will let you guys know the results, thanks again.

[jai]

18. deepfunkysoul

If you don't want to un-install anything simply click on start and then type msconfig in the search programs and files box and hit enter.

From the startup tab you can simply uncheck microsoft security essentials and any other program you want to exclude from start up.

Then you reboot and see if your still having the same problem.

to re-enable it simply go back to msconfig and check it.

Much easier then uninstalling and reinstalling.

Also there is an option there that will load up only the basic system driver which is another handy option.

19. glych t.anomaly

thanks !

[jai]

20. Kalemic

Kalemic TRIBE Promoter

Before you do anything else. Just run the DPC latency checker (it will be be spiking red), then start to slowly shut down apps one by one, when it drops back to green you've found your culprit.

If you've just turned on your computer, you'll have to wait a few hours for the latency to build back up before you can see what is causing the issue.

Don't bother with anything else, this is *only* related to DPC latency. I can say this with 100% certainty.

21. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Agree with Kalemic. I had this problem with a desktop I upgraded to Win 7 and used exactly the process outlined by K to discover it was the Wireless card.

22. glych t.anomaly

so my wireless adapter, a USB Netgear Wireless N , is the culprit, but, this was also happening before i got this, when i had a linksys wireless g adapter via a PCI port.

while running DPC latency check, and with the adapter enabled, im gettting a avg latency of about 200-250 its bounces around a fair bit.

without it running my latency is 30 - 50 occasionally spiking a bit here and there.

what did you do to solve your issue sage?

[jai]

23. deepfunkysoul

basically disable your wireless driver but I still think it has an issue with over heating.

24. glych t.anomaly

where on my Mainboard could be overheating that is not the heatsync, the RAM bays, cable connections, and have open access to air, and the side is off the case.

im going to reset the mainboard BIOS, to see if that helps the issue.

[jai]

25. deepfunkysoul

The chipset is your best bet. Simply attach a heat sync to the the north and south bridge chipset. That will exclude any issue with the motherboard.