1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

** Attn you goddamned nerds **

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by Sal De Ban, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Sal's on the market for a new poly synth. Thinking about the DSI Prophet, or Nord Lead 4. Anyone own either of these and/or have some opinions? It has to make a lot of lush and mushy sounds.

2. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

You looking to buy new or used? Have not tried either of those synths...

3. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

hopefully new. also, I'm looking for a good way to sync up multiple synths to one midi clock. Unfortunately, searching the words "midi" online nowadays just yields computer/software controllers.

4. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

5. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

I take it a synth with lots of hands on control... Most of all the new stuff that piques my interest are all monosynths as for poly I am kind of scratching my head but from the 2 you mentioned I would go with the Nord... Why not spend an afternoon at the music store trying them out... FOr your midi issue try a Midi Solutions thru box... I have one 1 in 4 outs made in Canada plug your cables in and nothing to set $50 or less... Why not get a used JV1080 or something or a Elektron Monomachine...

6. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

That Innerclock stuff is expensive I take it stuff is not syncing? Is everything daisy chained, if so how many pieces of equipment... I have never noticed any issues with my stuff but then I may not have a good ear for it...

7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

A good example is - my DSI Mopho is nearly perfect at 120 bpm, but my much older Korg ms2000r drifts +/- 1 or 2 bpm. And it thinks 119 is really 120.

So, syncing them with the DSI clock is the best answer for now. But the arps are still inaccurate and glitchy when I'm running them together.

8. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

You have the latest firmware for the MS2K that may fix the issue... Talking outta my ass here but it could be a fix... Does it drift even if you trigger the arp for say every bar...

9. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

it definitely doesn't have the latest firmware. The global setting screens even have typos! I think my synth is drunk.

if i trigger it every bar, it's more accurate, but I'd like to let it go on for minutes if i could.

there's also those midi quad boxes that are about $50. Might check those out...

10. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

Long and McQuade has em or you can order direct to save a few bucks..

11. alison87

alison87 TRIBE Member

Synths shouldn't lag on MIDI unless you are chaining a retarded number of THRUs or you are sending a retarded amount of data. People solved this problem in the 80s by making sure that no synth was more than one "jump" from their master and by filtering all the useless CC/SysEx data at the master. The solution nowadays is exactly the same. Assuming your computer is your master, buy a MIDI interface with tons of OUTs and make sure you are only sending data for one synth on each OUT, and that you aren't sending any superfluous data.

Or fuck MIDI because it is 30-year-old technology and only buy synths with USB connections. Or forget hardware altogether and just buy a snazzy controller keyboard.

I am totally ITB now and have no desire to ever go back to hardware, but if i did i would only consider the Nord because it is a "players" synth (reference it's popularity in the jazz scene) or a Virus TI because you can offload a bunch of DSP from your laptop. I love the classic Prophet sound, but the new Prophet doesn't really nail it, so personally i wouldn't bother. The only other options for poly are those insanely expensive boutique analogs like the Schmidt which are probably well out of the price range of most amateur musos.

12. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

The Schmidt that was the one I was thinking of only $15K...

13. alison87

alison87 TRIBE Member

The Radikal Accelarator was another boutique poly that came out a few years back, though it is more in the DSI price range. Though honestly, if you've never heard of a boutique synth before, you probably aren't the target market for it. Nords and Viruses are extremely popular in the "traditional" music scene, they are reliable and road-tested, you can buy or rent them pretty much anywhere in the world... The boutique stuff is really designed for tinkerers and nerds with money to burn. Which is totally fine if you are that, but if you have no idea what you want, i wouldn't recommend springing for a niche instrument made by some mad scientist on the other side of the world.

14. alison87

alison87 TRIBE Member

To wit: i stopped following the synth blogs 2-3 years ago because i realized i was never going to buy another synth. I just googled now, and since then, this has come out: Keyboardmag: Studiologic Sledge Virtual Analog Synth Reviewed Would i buy one? Hell no. It's aimed at the people who fervently read those blogs and probably have every other synth under the sun and they just want another cool gadget for their studio.

15. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

thanks people!

16. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Hey Alison - I guess what I really need is another solid synth, like my DSI, to last a long time and not fall victim to operating system updates and other computer-related woes. Then there's the obvious, often-echoed ennui associated with staring into your computer screen to make music. It still use Cubase, but only for final multi-tracking and mixdowns.

17. alison87

alison87 TRIBE Member

Then your answer is the Nord - made for piano players :)

18. alison87

alison87 TRIBE Member

19. alison87

alison87 TRIBE Member

20. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

Yes much more fun than a computer... The thing with hardware that I like is that you are many things... An engineer, technician, producer, and musician... For me it is rewarding being able to repair my gear, build new pieces of gear, arrange gear into different configurations when the need requires, and the enjoyment you get from physically playing it...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  21. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

yahp. I'm leaning towards the nord for sure. The prophet 12 is almost $1k more. BUT since I just bought another piece of gear today, i have to wait til the spring...

22. alison87

alison87 TRIBE Member

Don't worry cosmo, my GAS was only a temporary condition brought on by watching some awesome YouTubes. Then i look around this furnished studio apartment and wonder what the hell i'd do with a musical instrument heavier than the sum total of literally everything else i own. I wonder where i'd even plug it in, or how i would bring it with me when the rent here runs out and i have to move. And then i look at my tablet, which runs Ableton and can make any sound i could ever dream of and weighs about as much as a can of beans, and i think back to the bad old days of cables and dustbunnies and ground loops and MIDI retrofits and i laugh and laugh. Living the dream, kids.

[​IMG]

23. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

my new set-up is a lot of fun to play on, but stepping back into analog means remembering settings, notes and stuff again. It's like being in a band with myself! The only difference is that I don't have to wait half an hour for people to tune their instruments. lol

24. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

Did you get the Nord?

25. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

No, I don't have my precious, just yet. I went and bought the newest Kaossilator 4-bank sampler, so now I have to wait until: (a) I save more cash, or (b) I can sell my weighted, 88-key M-audio piano.

Probably both.