• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Attn: XBox Mod Geeks

halo five

TRIBE Member
My brother just picked up an XBox 360, so I inherited his original XBox.

I'd like to mod it so I can play emulated games from other systems, but don't know where to start. I'd like to have a SNES and NES emulator at least, if I could play Playstation (1) games as well that would be killer but I don't know if such a beast exists.

So where do I start? I need a mod chip, but there are many varieties. Are there Canadian mail-order sources? All the ones I've googled so far are American. I'd like to avoid soldering if at all possible.

Can I install Linux on this thing, and if so, would that be the best way to go about playing emulated games?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
you dont need to buy action replay.
i rented it for like $5 from a gamestore on younge just south of bloor. once i got that home, i had linux running on my xbox in like 10 minutes. including taking it out of the box and figuring out what i was doing. its pretty quick and painless. and REALLLY worth it - i pitty whoever throws out an xbox!

i have all genesis and snes roms loaded up onto it, i got all nes and atari roms too but havent gotten around t loading up an emulator.

oh you also dont need action replay if you can get ahold of someone else with a modded xbox. you just need to be able to get a certain savedgame onto your xbox - and you need one of a bunch of games that let you do it. (mech assault, and splinter cell are good candidates though i think you need the original versions. more details on one of the websites listed above)

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
A standard ethernet cable does the job better than an Action Replay ever could. You can upload tonnes of music very easily with that method.

I don't know too much about soft modding, but I have a chip and absolutely love it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

halo five

TRIBE Member
Wow, XBMC is intense. I hadn't heard about the soft mods. I'm hitting up rental stores tonight, thanks for the pointers, guys.

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
Aerius Zension said:
A standard ethernet cable does the job better than an Action Replay ever could. You can upload tonnes of music very easily with that method.

I don't know too much about soft modding, but I have a chip and absolutely love it.

That's the thing, my understanding is you can only use a direct connection (ie ethernet cable) if your box has a chip. You need the action replay if it doesn't.

Gonna try this in the next few weeks. Anyone have an original copy of mechassault they wanna lend me? :p

Anakin

TRIBE Member
I'd recommend getting a modchip, if you know how to solder. Xecuter 3's are quite popular and easy to use, plus have some very nice features.

You can get one from www.modchipsource.ca

That will give you a LOT more flexability than a softmod. I've done both, if you screw up a soft mod, there is no going back; just so you know.

Doran

TRIBE Member
well there is going back if you take the proper precautions like making an xboxhdm backup disc to restore the hard drive. it's pretty easy to hookup the hard drive to your computer and run the backup cd.

I'd feel less up to the task of soldering parts on a tiny circuitboard than plugging in an IDE cable personally.. Sure the modchips give more flexibility/bells & whistles, but if you aren't an online gamer that feeds off xbox live - softmods are the way to go imo.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Doran said:
Sure the modchips give more flexibility/bells & whistles, but if you aren't an online gamer that feeds off xbox live - softmods are the way to go imo.

I can go Xbox Live with a modchip??? How? :confused:?

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
Most mod chips have a switch for different BIOS. So you can make your box look like a standard xbox as log as you haven't changed the hard drive.

You still need to have an account though.

halo five

TRIBE Member
A coworker was telling me that you need to run the soft-mod exploit (load a special bootloader save game from Mech Assault or a few other games) each time you turn on your XBox. If this is still the case, I'll probably be shopping for a chip.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
That's incorrect. You only have to do that if you don't want to install the exploit, which would be kind of pointless.

You perform the exploit and when you have the Xbox OS cracked open, you backup your HD and then install the linux miniOS. From there you can install whatever you want. I would go with XBMC. Its the best IMHO.

I stream all my video from my computer onto my Xbox and watch it through my TV. Also, it provides for emulators and other goodness.

halo five

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I did a bit more research and verified that independently.

I'm thinking I may still go the cheap modchip route, like a Duo X2 -- Probably the same cost as renting Mech Assault and buying an Action Replay, and from the sound of it it's a lot easier to swap hard drives with a hard-modded 'Box.

Doran

TRIBE Member
i just put a 250gig hdd in my softmodded xbox, didn't have any troubles. as long as the drive you're upgrading is lockable (modchips allow drives that dont support locking) - but i'm pretty sure just about any drive made these days that isn't scsi or sata or anything special is most likely lockable. xboxscene has a big searchable database of drives which makes it easy to reference. i've got a few friends that use modchips like the x3 - and I honestly don't feel that I've missed out on anything important, aside from minor utilities and aesthetics.

halo five

TRIBE Member
Ah, cool, I think I'll try it out. So who wants to loan me an Action Replay, a memory card, and Mech Assault. I'll buy you beeeeeeeeeeeer ;-)

halo five

TRIBE Member
So I borrowed an XBox -> USB adapter, formatted my trusty IBM 32mb usb key as an XBox memory card, rented Mech Assault, and now I'm XBMC-ing with the best of them.

And I just found out XBMC supports python scripting, so chancing are my skin will stay nice and pale this spring. Sigh.

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
I'm thinking of doing this now. I haven't owned a console system since my Sega Genisis. The only thing I want to use it for is for the media center abilities. What's the best way to do this? Buy a basic XBOX and then get an X3 chip. Where's the cheapest place to pick up a basic XBOX? Do I need that X3 add on panel thing? I'll probably never put a game into this thing.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Give this place a try.

You are more than welcome to drop by and check out the new storefront from 11am to 9pm, and OPEN 7 days a week.

"GAMES IN THE BEACHES" is located at 1366 Queen St. East

Right at the North-West corner of QUEEN EAST & GREENWOOD.

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
A friend of mine has moded a dozen or so xbox's and tells me that the 1.6's are a bitch to mod. Is this true or is he just being lazy? I have a line on a nicely priced 1.6 but I'm worried about the PITA that it may cause. The Xecuters all say the do 1.6 - where does the hell part come in when modding a 1.6?

Thanks!

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
does anyone know a reliable source for x360 mods in this city? how about psp?

There's no reason to see someone to get a PSP done.
You can do it yourself by modifying a battery to a Pandora Battery, or you can buy a Pandora off DealExtreme for like $5
I have a VERY reliable guy for 360, but he's based out of Niagara Falls. I can pass you his details if your willing to travel or ship it to him.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
There's no reason to see someone to get a PSP done.
You can do it yourself by modifying a battery to a Pandora Battery, or you can buy a Pandora off DealExtreme for like $5
I have a VERY reliable guy for 360, but he's based out of Niagara Falls. I can pass you his details if your willing to travel or ship it to him.

He would be my cousin Ron :) No need to travel, he makes his way to Toronto a few times a week.

Jay